★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Atari's Greatest Hits -> ALL GAMES FREE

06-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Atari's Greatest Hits -> ALL GAMES FREE

Launch the app today and receive this message:

Quote:
Celebrate Atari's 40th birthday with a free tour of all that Atari's Greatest Hits has to offer! All games will remain free-to-play UNTIL you remove or reinstall the game.
Twitter announcement

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind

Last edited by strivemind; 06-27-2012 at 02:53 PM.
06-27-2012, 03:04 PM
Oh wow, thanks for the thread! Alas, it doesn't seem to work (yet?) in the Dutch Appstore.

06-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Interesting. I'm curious how this will work. If the games are normally sold via in-app purchase, then how can they be made free "UNTIL you remove or reinstall the game"?
06-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
Interesting. I'm curious how this will work. If the games are normally sold via in-app purchase, then how can they be made free "UNTIL you remove or reinstall the game"?
Damn, it is true!

All the games download, wow!

Boy this makes me miss mame a lot less. Now I got to make sure I don't remove this game from my device. Wonder if they will make an update sometime to cancel this free feature. Hope not.

This will give me something to play with today, thanks Atari!

Edit: oh my god, Tempest plays great! I loved this game when I was young. Woohoo!

Last edited by Connector; 06-27-2012 at 03:30 PM.
06-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lena View Post
Oh wow, thanks for the thread! Alas, it doesn't seem to work (yet?) in the Dutch Appstore.
I deleted the game from my iPad and reinstalled, and now I did get the message and can download all the games! Wow!
06-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Well, this safely qualifies as one of the greatest iOS freebies ever. Damn.
06-27-2012, 03:46 PM
I couldn't work out why I wasn't getting the unlock message on my iPhone but I was on my iPad, I hadn't noticed there was an update pending. You need to install the most recent update before it will unlock all the games.
06-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Yes, it seems like they put a new version on the App Store that includes access to all games already in the app itself. So, I guess after today, they'll pull it and put the original one back on there (so if you delete and re-download, you won't get the games for free).

Tried it out and it works perfectly. Just select the game and it downloads and lets you play it.

And, yes, I was a big Tempest fan way back when and am quite happy with how well it plays.

Shocking for Atari to actually do something like this (as sue happy as they are for devs who even come close to their artwork ala Alien Space Retro).
06-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Seems to have 18 arcade games and a ton of Atari 2600 games... I think the 2600 games are free too. I think the description says a total of 100 games... This rocks, this is just like mame, it even has pong which mame was never allowed to have!

I downloaded all the arcade games, its kind of a hassle to download all of them individually, anyone figure out how to do a mass download?

But with 18 arcade games, it comes out to 89 mbs. But I haven't downloaded any atari 2600 games yet. But most of the games are pretty good, much better than playing on mame.

Atari should have just sold this game for $2.99 with no inapps, I think it would have sold well. But I'm really happy to have gotten this, even though they are old games, I can spend a lot of time tinkering with it. And some like Tempest and centipede bring back old memories.

A must must download, between this and toon shooters, I'm spending more time on these free games than my pay ones. But later today, I'm going to buy dariusburst and space invaders infinity gene, so it may change.

Woohoo!
06-27-2012, 04:10 PM
FYI:

The atari 2600 games are all free too! For some reason, they seem as big as the arcade titles, most seem around 2 mb. I downloaded breakout, and it is fun! Great controls, funny how even with the cruddy graphics, it still plays better than most ios clones.

Man, but I can't find Space Invaders for the 2600! This makes me sad cause this was my favorite game when I had the system, in fact, I won 3 tournaments playing it when I was young! Won two TVs and a gift certificate. So I'm really bummed they didnt have that one on there.

Anyone figure out if there is a way to delete games to save disk space? I didn't see an obvious way to do it.