★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Dark Raider 1.2

05-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Dark Raider 1.2

now this game is getting better and better with every update! it's still 99 cents...

itunes link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=313577731&mt=8

Version 1.2
*Improved twin stick controls, increased control size area
*Added spinning wheels for visual feedback of controls
*Added accelerometer to move + stick to aim control method (plays like Labyrinth)
*Slightly increased player speed
* Nests can be destroyed, but not on the insane difficulty.
* Flashlight was added to normal and insane difficulties.
* Mid-game saving and loading was added so you can pick up where you left off, without going through any menus.
* Player movement is better and you never get stuck on a wall.
* You can get closer to walls, so you can walk through the ones that have shadows and the hallways are wider for moving
* Made the pistol and shotgun bullets bigger and easier to see.

Last edited by eliotness; 05-28-2009 at 06:52 PM.
05-28-2009, 06:25 PM
I appreciate the mid game save.

3 of the red locks unlocked. Slowed down in playing this game because of Zenonia.

05-28-2009, 06:32 PM
wow... my thread wasn't closed, the main one was...

thanks mods.
05-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Now maybe TA will mention post a news item about this game? Arn?

Apps: Mech Pilot, Zombies HD, Zombies The Last Stand, iFishing (and all spinoffs), Puppet Jump, Pocket Farm, Dark Raider, Blue Skies, and more! (www.RockingPocketGames.com)
05-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Here's my original review:

With the constantly updated controls and the lower price, the game should appeal to a broader audience.
05-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Seems like the game will be more accessible than ever. With things made so much easier I don't think there should be any more complaints.

Content Writer for www.vgchartz.com
05-28-2009, 08:13 PM
We'll see what SlideToPlay, Toucharcade and others have to say about the improvements.
05-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Lite version is here. One of the best values for 99 cents in the store right now.
05-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by jFND View Post
Seems like the game will be more accessible than ever. With things made so much easier I don't think there should be any more complaints.
To contradict myself, I think that though the 1.2 updates usher in some new, improved features, the ease in difficulty has detracted what was originally intended in this game.

Responsive controls: Controls are more responsive, making it easier to move around (always a +)

Movement of character improvement: Speed of character has increased and you don't get stuck on walls.

Increased 'intensity': I like the new flashlight atmosphere, it shows off the lighting effects and make the game more "intense".

Rocking Pocket Games' new logo (decent, but better than the old one)

Mid-game saving: This can be both a good thing and bad thing, as the real challenge of the previous update was for you to complete a World's level in one playthrough, making it that much more intense. But again, most people will welcome this feature, especially when they can't play in one sitting.

Destroying nests: This, again, all depends on taste. I thought that with the previous update it was a lot more challenging that the enemies kept respawning from the nests. With the inclusion of this nest-destroying foray, it made it a little too easy for me.

New twin stick control design: They're alright. They don't fit the overall theme of the game but it does indicate when you're actually utilizing the sticks or not as it rotates (visual feedback).

Bigger bullets: I prefered the old ones. And the bullets seem to spray right from the character's body instead of his gun, which doesn't seem all that attractive.

Overall drop in difficulty: 1.1 was perfect to me, apart from the degree of responsiveness of controls. This one, I sprinted through the whole thing, shooting nests and dodging fireballs like it was nothing. It's still 'good', but there's a noticeable dip in difficulty.

All in all, 1.2 is a welcomed change. I can see it being more accessible, and this should increase sales over the next few days.

Content Writer for www.vgchartz.com

Last edited by jFND; 05-28-2009 at 08:33 PM.
05-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Perhaps its time to step up to insane difficulty, where the nests cannot be destroyed.

"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you would die today."