★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What is so special about Doodle Jump?

05-28-2009, 09:39 PM
What is so special about Doodle Jump?

Everyone seems so into this game, and I am just wondering why that is. Isn't Papi Jump the same, and for free?

Galaxy Note 5, iPad Air 1
05-28-2009, 09:46 PM
It's polished, has shooting, and just has a special charm to it. Play it if you don't believe me.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread

05-28-2009, 09:58 PM
I only recently downloaded it. While I'm not really a Pocket God enthusiast, the crossover finally pushed me over the edge.

I never got into the Papi games, and honestly, this type of game doesn't really appeal to my tastes at all. But I've been playing it a lot lately. It is absolutely great for quick, random "pick up and play" sessions. I also really love the "doodle" graphics and the bounce sounds.

I think it's a really polished little game. I was first impressed with Lima Sky's attentiveness to their flag memory game, and I see they've brought the same attitude to this title. They really deserve their place on the Top list.
06-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
I only recently downloaded it. While I'm not really a Pocket God enthusiast, the crossover finally pushed me over the edge.

I never got into the Papi games, and honestly, this type of game doesn't really appeal to my tastes at all. But I've been playing it a lot lately. It is absolutely great for quick, random "pick up and play" sessions. I also really love the "doodle" graphics and the bounce sounds.

I think it's a really polished little game. I was first impressed with Lima Sky's attentiveness to their flag memory game, and I see they've brought the same attitude to this title. They really deserve their place on the Top list.
i recently got this game too and it is papi jump on steroids....this game offers so much more than papi jump at only .99 more. The addition of a jetpack in version 1.3 will bring this game to a new level

ssɐ sıɥ dn ɯǝɥʇ ǝʌoɥs puɐ sƃuıɹ dıɥsuoıdɯɐɥɔ sǝıɹǝs plɹoʍ ㄥᄅ sǝǝʞuɐʎ ǝɥʇ ǝʞɐʇ uɐɔ ıpɹɐɹıƃ ǝoɾ
06-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Doodle Jump is just somehow a lot more fun than Papi Jump, love the art style.
06-18-2009, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian1969uk View Post
Doodle Jump is just somehow a lot more fun than Papi Jump, love the art style.
i feel that papi jump is so basic while doodle jump combines that basic element and adds more gameplay to a simple game. the result is both challenging and fun as a pick up and play game

ssɐ sıɥ dn ɯǝɥʇ ǝʌoɥs puɐ sƃuıɹ dıɥsuoıdɯɐɥɔ sǝıɹǝs plɹoʍ ㄥᄅ sǝǝʞuɐʎ ǝɥʇ ǝʞɐʇ uɐɔ ıpɹɐɹıƃ ǝoɾ
06-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Maybe it's my blind and biased developers mind talking but I like my Hopple better lol.
06-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancy View Post
Maybe it's my blind and biased developers mind talking but I like my Hopple better lol.
i have hopple and i have to be honest and say i like doodle jump better, but they are different types of games. your game is very basic and fun in gameplay and it is fairly easy. Doodle jump adds a more challenging gameplay with shooting, moving pads, and monsters. I hope that hopple will continue to update and add more exciting gameplay elements. For now i take doodle jump over hopple because it offers more gameplay for the same price

06-18-2009, 02:20 PM
I guess my game is more traditional to the simplistic style of this gameplay mechanism. I thought about adding certain things in but honestly I just prefer the simplicity rather then throwing in monsters and moving platforms and so on.
06-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancy View Post
I guess my game is more traditional to the simplistic style of this gameplay mechanism. I thought about adding certain things in but honestly I just prefer the simplicity rather then throwing in monsters and moving platforms and so on.
yea some people do prefer simplicity but i personally like a more challenging gameplay.....im not saying your game is bad...i just bought it and really didnt like it because of the simplicity. I just like a more thoughtout and challenging gameplay