★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

AstroWings3 - ICARUS $0.99 --> Free

06-29-2012, 05:03 AM
AstroWings3 - ICARUS $0.99 --> Free

06-29-2012, 12:09 PM
I greatly appreciate the chance to try it free, but this game is disappointing.

The graphics and controls are good. But that's where it ends. The gameplay is terrible -- redefines "mindless shootemup." And the looping music samples, while decent at first, gets very old very fast. Same for the backgrounds -- they look nice enough, until you realize it's just the same image scrolling forever.

Even for free, I say pass. Better off buying one of the really good iOS shmups.
06-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
I greatly appreciate the chance to try it free, but this game is disappointing.

The graphics and controls are good. But that's where it ends. The gameplay is terrible -- redefines "mindless shootemup." And the looping music samples, while decent at first, gets very old very fast. Same for the backgrounds -- they look nice enough, until you realize it's just the same image scrolling forever.

Even for free, I say pass. Better off buying one of the really good iOS shmups.
Beware of all Astrowing games, the developer makes these games just to lure suckers into Inapps and often pulls their games. They prey on early adopters because all of their games go freemium after a while.

For example, you only get one ship every game, and you get coins, after every game you have to buy your health on your ship. This is crazy, sometimes if you do not do well, you can not even buy enough health to full, so you have to do in app purchases.

I rarely say negative things about free apps, but this line of Astrowings is the worst case of being a greedy developer I have ever seen. They even make Electronic Arts look like saints in terms of business practices.

The gameplay gets boring, and even though the graphics are pretty, you will come to a point where you will kick and curse at the program.

Highly unrecommended.
06-29-2012, 04:44 PM
War has begins again!