★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Levee En Masse from Victory Point Games

06-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Levee En Masse from Victory Point Games

The port of their States of Siege series game Levee En Masse is out on iPad. Some of you might remember their 1st attempt at iOS games, Loot and Scoot was less than stellar. They have stepped up their game considerably and LeM is very well done indeed.

The only thing I have found wanting so far is the lack of retina support for iPad 3rd gen, but the game itself is great, and the iOS implementation is smooth and slick.

Here's a link to the VPG product page until someone wise in the way of forums does a proper app store link.

http://victorypointgames.com/details.php?prodId=209
06-29-2012, 10:57 AM

06-29-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm all over this after work.

/downloading

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
06-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djflippy View Post
I'm all over this after work.

/downloading
Let us know how it is, as it looks really interesting and could be right up my alley, but the description is sort of throwing me off.

Quote:
This solitaire game, suitable for group and classroom cooperative game play, tells the story of the French Revolution through its key events and decision points.
What's going on here? Is it a wargame or an educational game or what?
06-29-2012, 02:40 PM
It's times like this that makes me wish I had ("my own" instead of "an") iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
06-29-2012, 03:44 PM
This is a game based on the solitaire boardgame series "State of Seige" by Victory Point Games. This is a very popular solo wargame series. The current version of this has some performance problems on the ipad1 and some low resolution graphics. Apparently these are being fixed in an update that is under submission.

I have played a couple of games, and it seems like a good system however I am waiting for the update to play this again due to some of these problems.

I am very happy though to see VPG releasing some of their game on IOS and I look forward to seeing what they come up with next,
06-29-2012, 04:40 PM
I saw a short vid of the gameplay and the moves or the victors in battle are determined by the roll of the dice. I know this is overly simplistic (since I'm basing my judgment upon the brief vid) but is that all there is to the game? Rolling the dice...? Is there any kind of strategy, planning, etc. involved?

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy
06-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Dice...

Dice have been used as chaos generators in wargames since Tactics 2. Yes, planning, intelligent use of limited reasources (actions) and agonizing decisions make up the core of gameplay. You have to decide what chances to take but the random element means no certainty of success.

Go read the VPG page on the original which I linked in the 1st post. It will give you a better idea what's going on. Even though this is a simple game, it is a serious wargame, and not light or casual fare.
06-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werechihuahua View Post
Dice have been used as chaos generators in wargames since Tactics 2. Yes, planning, intelligent use of limited reasources (actions) and agonizing decisions make up the core of gameplay. You have to decide what chances to take but the random element means no certainty of success.

Go read the VPG page on the original which I linked in the 1st post. It will give you a better idea what's going on. Even though this is a simple game, it is a serious wargame, and not light or casual fare.
Cool, thanks. I'm in.