★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Squibs Arcade - Looks Like Game & Watch

05-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Squibs Arcade - Looks Like Game & Watch

Anyone check this out yet - Squibs Arcade .99

Includes 7 games - nice looking presentation, and Chillingo Ltd. is involved.

Itunes Link :

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=317062792&mt=8

Last edited by DieseliPhone; 05-29-2009 at 11:15 AM.
05-29-2009, 11:21 AM
gonna check this out, its a sunny ole day here so out in tha garden with a beer and report back in a bit!

edit: well oki, you get what you pay for on this one, but it is quite slickly presented so no faults there. 7 games of course, each with options to turn off sound fx/music and vibration, each game also has a high score target to beat.

each game is a paraody or based on some big name 3d title, some are obvious and some are not. final fantasy themes and medal of honour themes are the most obvious ones! the games are as basic as you can get, several of them are simple left right dodge em ups, but 1 of them does involve shooting the baddies as they run at you in a sorta pseudo 3d way lol. i dont think any of them are quite as addictive as nintendos original efforts, i remember playing donkey kong jr for hours and hours however, they do have a very retro charm to them that will put a smile on an old persons chops! whilst i remember the old lcd displays did have the images burned to the screen, i think they could have toned that down a touch for this game package, but nothin g you cant get used to after a while.

the games themselves are great for 5 mins and you can easily move onto the next one, theres not much difference in gameplay on either of them but they are quite unique in style and presentation.

my major gripe is the lacklustre high score charts. just 1 score for each game is available and you cant even plum yer name in for others to beat. a bit more effort there and id have quite liked this. responsiveness on 1 or 2 of the games didnt seem great either, be interesting to see if anyone else feels the same. id grab this if you were a fan of game n watch titles, otherwise theres not an awful lot here even for this low price. not bad tho.

Currently playing: Joe Dever's Lone Wolf and FM2014

Last edited by Acidbottle; 05-29-2009 at 12:17 PM.

05-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidbottle View Post
gonna check this out, its a sunny ole day here so out in tha garden with a beer and report back in a bit!

edit: well oki, you get what you pay for on this one, but it is quite slickly presented so no faults there. 7 games of course, each with options to turn off sound fx/music and vibration, each game also has a high score target to beat.

each game is a paraody or based on some big name 3d title, some are obvious and some are not. final fantasy themes and medal of honour themes are the most obvious ones! the games are as basic as you can get, several of them are simple left right dodge em ups, but 1 of them does involve shooting the baddies as they run at you in a sorta pseudo 3d way lol. i dont think any of them are quite as addictive as nintendos original efforts, i remember playing donkey kong jr for hours and hours however, they do have a very retro charm to them that will put a smile on an old persons chops! whilst i remember the old lcd displays did have the images burned to the screen, i think they could have toned that down a touch for this game package, but nothin g you cant get used to after a while.

the games themselves are great for 5 mins and you can easily move onto the next one, theres not much difference in gameplay on either of them but they are quite unique in style and presentation.

my major gripe is the lacklustre high score charts. just 1 score for each game is available and you cant even plum yer name in for others to beat. a bit more effort there and id have quite liked this. responsiveness on 1 or 2 of the games didnt seem great either, be interesting to see if anyone else feels the same. id grab this if you were a fan of game n watch titles, otherwise theres not an awful lot here even for this low price. not bad tho.

WOW - thanks for your comments - great job, and quite informative. I'm surprised more folks aren't talking about this one - unique if nothing else, and Chillingo to boot.

There is a brief gameplay video at squibsarcade.com if anyone is interested.
05-29-2009, 01:36 PM
I knew this one was coming for WiiWare, surprised to see in for the iPhone also. Pretty cheap, since it's going to cost $5 for Wii owners, and we get it for a fifth of that price.
05-29-2009, 01:39 PM
Ha I might just have to get this for the parodies. I love the wiifit turned into We're Fat and Assassin's Creed into Crowd Wader.

05-30-2009, 10:00 PM
I like this one. I was expecting simple electronic gameplay and that's what this is. What I wasn't expecting is the slick sense of humor. Very nice.
06-01-2009, 07:29 PM
I really enjoy these collection of simple games. The parodies are pretty funny, from final fantasy to gears of war, they're all pretty fun. They remind me of those simple games given away in kid's meals at McDonalds. The only way this could get better is if they added a racing game or more games where you can fight back.

06-01-2009, 07:43 PM
For those wondering, the minigames are:
Crowd Wader (Assassin's Creed) - cross the busy market without being trampled, get to the other side and pick pockets. Then make your way back and repeat.

We're Fat (Wii Fit) - Move shigeru back and forth to pick up the falling carrots while avoiding the falling cakes. Every few cakes he eats his stomach grows larger. Once it gets to big it will pop.

Fantasy Turn Base (Final Fantasy) - Walk along a forest, a monster will randomly appear. You must move the shield between one of three party members to block incoming blasts of fire from the monster.

Cardboard Axel Mush (Metal Gear Solid) - Move under a box back and forth to the exit, just don't let the guards see you. You can use static walls for safety, though eventually they will randomly start disappearing/reappearing.

Gun Cogs (Gears of War) - Move left and right dodging bullets, also crouching behind walls. Your mission is to pick up as many cogs without getting killed.

Regret the Fist (Street Fighter) - Block the incoming attacks from your opponent. No you don't fight back.

Call of Honour (Call of Duty) - Move left and right, shooting the incoming nazis (they look like nazi zombies to me).

All are challenging and fun.