★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Strategy: board games and turn-based

11-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Strategy: board games and turn-based

Anyone know if there are games or projects in the works that will bring titles like Settlers of Catan to the iPhone?

I am aware (and enjoy) the current iteration of Lux, the Risk clone, but I was hoping for something with a little more meat to it. I am also aware that a Final Fantasy Tactics-type game has been released for the iPhone in Japan, but am not sure if there are plans to bring it to North American audiences.

And what about turn-based games like Heroes of Might and Magic? This genre is totally perfect for mobile gaming.
11-23-2008, 04:57 PM
best one as of yet is Reign of Swords

http://appshopper.com/games/reign-of-swords

I am waiting for more Turb based Strategy games

and lux touch is good, but the delux version, whenever it hits should be a much improvement, but hard to complain cause its free

Last edited by mek; 11-23-2008 at 05:11 PM.

11-23-2008, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obiter View Post
Anyone know if there are games or projects in the works that will bring titles like Settlers of Catan to the iPhone?
settlers of catan would be awsoooooooooooooooooooome
11-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mek View Post
best one as of yet is Reign of Swords
Ah good find man, somehow I missed this.

If you've played them, would you say this is most like FF:Tactics, Ogre Battle, Fire Emblem, or Advance Wars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo19 View Post
settlers of catan would be awsoooooooooooooooooooome
It sure as hell would. What someone should do, at the very least, is port over the opensource game Pioneers to the iPhone (and then also release it for OSX!).

I forgot to mention that some online strategy games like Ikariam are completely compatible with the iPhone Safari. However, that particular game offers no specific interface for mobiles so it can be cumbersome and slow to manage.
06-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Settledown

I just released a Catan clone game on the appstore called "Settledown". Please give it a try and let me know how I can improve it!

Thanks!
06-30-2009, 08:46 AM
There is KDice and Dragonlords.

Beta tester for Pocket God, Minigore, Towers of War, Airstrike Defense & 9 Innings 2011 - Join TAD - Join TAD: Touch Arcade Defenders! and Canucks of TA - Contact me if you want your game translated or betatested!
06-30-2009, 09:02 AM
Kolonists - $2 Settlers of Catan clone

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
06-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Have you tried either Mecho Wars or UniWar? I haven't played either of them personally (though I own them both), but I would classify them as Advance War style games. There's also a good TBS called Strongholds that was recently updated. You can find my review for that game on TheAppera web site. I enjoyed it because the mechanics weren't like any TBS I had played before.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
06-30-2009, 11:34 AM
I played too much Advance Wars in the past and now it's hard to find something that's near quality to it. Mecho Wars should be better after the updates, though it's still a long ways away from being Advance Wars quality. Uniwar, I disliked.

Games, games, games..
GameCenter ID: GkCHN
Add me! :]
06-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaiaIllusion View Post
I played too much Advance Wars in the past and now it's hard to find something that's near quality to it. Mecho Wars should be better after the updates, though it's still a long ways away from being Advance Wars quality. Uniwar, I disliked.
Unfortunately, I think we'll be hard pressed to find something as good as Advance Wars. It's one of those rare games where the designers actually considered the platform they were designing for. Not to mention the fact it was just plain fun. Fire Emblem was pretty good too, and in some ways I preferred it simply because I like the fantasy scenario better than a traditional military one. I'd snap up either one in a heartbeat if they came to the iPhone, though.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre