★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Backing up game saves?

05-29-2009, 01:02 PM
#1
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 315
Backing up game saves?

Can you back up game saves? Are game saves/high scores/etc. backed up when you sync the device? I might be sending my Touch in for replacement (the headphone jack is acting up), but I'm afraid of losing progress and scores in my games. Is there anyway to back all of this up so that it can be transferred to the new one?
05-29-2009, 01:27 PM
#2
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: 31.560499, -111.904128
Posts: 7,471
No, I don't think so. When the apps are removed, the data is lost. But I don't see why they would remove the apps to fix the headphone jack.

I wish there could be a save data space reserved in the iPhones internal memory where you have slots which you can save games onto, like with the PS2, PS3, PSP (most games consoles). That way you could remove the apps without deleting the data and you could manage your game saves in a menu somewhere.

Hakuna Matata

05-29-2009, 01:55 PM
#3
You can use an app called AppBackup if you have a jailbroken ipod, otherwise, I'm not aware of any solution.
05-29-2009, 01:58 PM
#4
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by florbastang View Post
Can you back up game saves? Are game saves/high scores/etc. backed up when you sync the device? I might be sending my Touch in for replacement (the headphone jack is acting up), but I'm afraid of losing progress and scores in my games. Is there anyway to back all of this up so that it can be transferred to the new one?
I heard that backing up your idevice on iTunes backs up your data like games saves, but not sure about high scores. Then just restore in iTunes when you you need to restore. Can someone verify this?

Helvetica will treat you good if you take time to understand her.
05-29-2009, 01:59 PM
#5
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Posts: 2,404
You can save your game progress if you're jailbroken.

Don't check this site or private messages often.
05-29-2009, 02:01 PM
#6
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 277
After you jailbroken, install Chronus from Cydia. Chronus can backup and restore almost all app settings, documents and game saves(for any App Store app and jailbroken app). I use Chronus many times everyday.

If you wanna to backup all Chronus backup file from iPhone to PC, just use WinSCP to copy this folder to PC:
/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/TimeCapsule

Then if you wanna to restore all Chronus backup file from PC to iPhone, just copy the TimeCapsule to /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/, and set the folder access right to mobile 755(MUST APPLY TO ALL THE FILES UNDER THE FOLDER)

You may say Chronus is a Time Machine for iPhone, or a memory cards for iPhone Game.

Last edited by shodanng; 05-29-2009 at 02:05 PM.
05-29-2009, 02:02 PM
#7
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaganomics View Post
I heard that backing up your idevice on iTunes backs up your data like games saves, but not sure about high scores. Then just restore in iTunes when you you need to restore. Can someone verify this?
I agree with this. Restore ipod from backup, and all of your progress will be there from the time of backup. Jailbreak not necessary.
05-29-2009, 02:05 PM
#8
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 198
I heard that only certain games are backed up through itunes... depends on teh game. Not sure if that is true or not. I'd like to know as well.
05-29-2009, 02:06 PM
#9
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 219
I agree to. From what I know, backing up in iTunes also saves game saves and game data.

No DPad - iPhone and iPod Touch gaming. Who says gamers need a dpad?
05-29-2009, 02:17 PM
#10
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by shodanng View Post
After you jailbroken, install Chronus from Cydia. Chronus can backup and restore almost all app settings, documents and game saves(for any App Store app and jailbroken app). I use Chronus many times everyday.

If you wanna to backup all Chronus backup file from iPhone to PC, just use WinSCP to copy this folder to PC:
/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/TimeCapsule

Then if you wanna to restore all Chronus backup file from PC to iPhone, just copy the TimeCapsule to /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/, and set the folder access right to mobile 755(MUST APPLY TO ALL THE FILES UNDER THE FOLDER)

You may say Chronus is a Time Machine for iPhone, or a memory cards for iPhone Game.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Jailbreaking void your warranty. I'm...ummmm...going in for warranty repair service. So, you know...