★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Is there any good way to promote our games?

07-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Send a message via MSN to jc82111
Is there any good way to promote our games?

Can anyone tell me how to promote our games?

We made 2 games, one is "Starry Sky" which has both iPhone and iPad version. The other is "Turtle Rescue - The Best Brick Breaker Game For All Ages". When they were "ready for sale", we made them free for 3 days, during that 3 days, they hit most of the countries' top rankings. And according to feedback, people said that they are wonderful games. however, when their price back to normal, the download rate drop rapidly.

Here I listed what we did and what we didn't do:

What we do:
1) sent emails with promote codes to review sites
2) give out promo codes in TA forums
3) built facebook pages for both games

What we didn't do:
1) Ads [It's said that Ads will cost alot money and the result won't be that good]
2) upload video to youtube [We're base in CHINA...]
3) Activities

So is there anything else we can do to promote our game? If you have any suggestion and advice, please share with me. Thank you!

Youtube link | Pop Up

Starry Sky iPhone version http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/starry-sky./id468882834?mt=8

Starry Sky iPad version http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/starry-sky-hd/id468627572?mt=8

The facebook page for Starry Sky: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Starry...29742973787549

Turtle Rescue http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/turtle-rescue-best-brick-breaker/id528480115?mt=8

Here is the facebook page for "TURTLE RESCUE": http://www.facebook.com/pages/Turtle...37754249574639

Last edited by jc82111; 07-09-2012 at 08:06 PM.
07-04-2012, 10:32 PM
Have you made a official site for those games? I think the best way to promote your games is to keep on adding great awesome updates!

07-05-2012, 12:06 AM
YouTube videos can be a fairly good promotional tool. I'm not really familiar with how these things are regulated, but would it be possible to encourage some fans in the US or another country post some clips of gameplay on YouTube?
07-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Yes I think addict updates are very useful too. The starry sky you see at the moment is the update version of the v1.0. And I think we have to keep updating frequently.

We do have a official website, but there are two problems, 1st, the server is in China, so people from other countries visit our site will be very slow. Secondly, the game page is in English, but the home page is Chinese. I think I'll fix these problems
07-05-2012, 12:30 AM
About Youtube, For some reason, our Gov block this great site. A year ago, with a proxy we can visit youtube and upload videos, but since early this year, although we still can visit youtube via a proxy, we can't post any video to it . (Facebook has the same situation)

I ask some friend on the facebook whether they could upload an video for us, no one answer yet

I'm agree with RevolvingDoor that youtube is a good promotional tool.
07-05-2012, 01:27 AM
How about not cloning existing games? Starry Sky is a clone of Blueprint 3D.
Even though you added features, it's not the original.

BTW: Be warned, we're the publisher of the original game and we're taking action against code theft. The Tutorial Design is already clearly copied (just because there are multiple spacial puzzles, e.g. Pictorial that copied the original design of the Blueprint creator - it doesn't make them legitimate). We keep an eye on those products and will react if necessary

FDG Entertainment
Across Age, Banana Kong, Venture Kid, Blosics, Bloody Harry, Blueprint 3D, Blossom Tales, Monster Boy, LONEWOLF, Beyond Ynth, Tower Boxing, Paperama, Car Toons!, Chicken Raid, Clear Vision, Crystal Siege, Tentacle Wars, Expand it!, Captain Antarctica, Cover Orange, Roar Rampage, Slayin, Slide Circus, Oceanhorn, Parachute Panic, Physics Gamebox, Bobby Carrot Series and many more!
Follow us on Twitter

Last edited by Future777; 07-05-2012 at 01:30 AM.
07-05-2012, 01:52 AM
To Future777

Did you see the version one of Starry Sky? This version is an update for the first version. We didn't copy your idea, do you know that the moment you have an idea, there are more than 2000 people in the world has the same. So you can't say we we copied things from you because we have something similar to yours! The other thing is the code, we wrote the code ourselves, we steal nothing from you! Do we steal image from you? Do we steal music from you? Do we steel level design from you?

The problem is that, your game came our earlier than ours, please, be reasonable.

Last edited by jc82111; 07-05-2012 at 01:55 AM.
07-05-2012, 01:58 AM
I'm not going deeper on the subject here. I felt it'd be appropriate to post a warning first before taking action. If you think all is fine..perfect.

FDG Entertainment
Across Age, Banana Kong, Venture Kid, Blosics, Bloody Harry, Blueprint 3D, Blossom Tales, Monster Boy, LONEWOLF, Beyond Ynth, Tower Boxing, Paperama, Car Toons!, Chicken Raid, Clear Vision, Crystal Siege, Tentacle Wars, Expand it!, Captain Antarctica, Cover Orange, Roar Rampage, Slayin, Slide Circus, Oceanhorn, Parachute Panic, Physics Gamebox, Bobby Carrot Series and many more!
Follow us on Twitter
07-05-2012, 02:09 AM
I know as a big name publisher, you might got great relationship with Apple, review sites and maybe public medias. But we really didn't copy from you, we didn't steal you code, if Apple need a code check, we'll happy to hand in our code, design files, music, and very thing about Starry Sky to Apple Staff.

I know a lot of company do very thing to against potential competitors, I understand.
07-05-2012, 02:21 AM
1) This is not about us. We're here to defend the rights of other small developers who decide to go through a publisher. We are responsible to maximize their chances in this tough market. Small Developers are needed for creativity and new ideas/impulses.

2) It seems there is a misunderstanding: I didn't say we're taking actions now, it was just a warning and if you're 100% certainl all is ok you don't have to fear us.

3) I think you are a talented bunch of developers and I always find it sad when they don't make use of the talent to invent new things.

FDG Entertainment
Follow us on Twitter