★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Exorcist: Out Now

05-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Exorcist: Out Now

Exorcist is now available on the App Store. Apple made a mess two days ago and it was released only in some countries, but now it is available worldwide.

Exorcist is a puzzle game with a new gameplay approach that uses multi-touch and the accelerometer for a challenging race against time. You control a Wand with the motion of your iPhone/iPod, and collect components to create spells, acquire Mana, and try to survive the ticking time.

App Store Link / Official Website

For those in the US and willing to review the game, we can send a coupon code. Post below and we will PM you the code.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by vimov; 05-29-2009 at 05:33 PM.
05-29-2009, 04:30 PM
This looks very interesting. The 'how to play' video sold me on it, and I just picked it up.

I really, really like that it was designed specifically with the device's controls in mind. A game can have deep, engaging gameplay or lovely 3d graphics, but if the controls are off, it's a deal-breaker.

First impressions: I've played the brief tutorial, and lost one game.

This is a very polished, very stylish game with an excellent interface. The stylistic choices remind me of 'The Dark Spire' for the Nintendo DS. I love the music (it's in the 'how to play' video).

It's a perfect pick-up-and-play game. I'll definitely be taking it with me to the movies tonight and playing it before the previews start. There's a 'rub your head and pat your tummy' challenge to it, and though it can be very difficult to keep track of what's going on (NOT due to the interface - that's very well designed), it never feels unfair.

In my opinion, this is a must-have at 99 cents for anyone who likes fast-paced puzzle/light strategy games. The gameplay reminds me of Sonic the Hedgehog, of all things, in that the game often moves at a breakneck pace, and presents you with simple, meaningful choices which you must make and run with, while never slowing down. (Well, unless you manage to fill mana jars.... these power-ups end up being very satisfying rewards for doing well.)

The controls are just as good as I hoped they would be.

Last edited by Sciuridae; 05-29-2009 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Added first impressions.

05-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Art style by itself is very attractive. The gameplay also looks very interesting. Let me check this baby out!

Sciuridae, welcome! Officially.
05-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciuridae View Post
This looks very interesting. The 'how to play' video sold me on it, and I just picked it up. I'll be posting impressions later.

I really, really like that it was designed specifically with the device's controls in mind. A game can have deep, engaging gameplay or lovely 3d graphics, but if the controls are off, it's a deal-breaker.

(Long-time reader, first-time poster in these forums, btw.)
Welcome to Toucharcade Sciuridae and Vimov! Always good to see devs on here.

05-29-2009, 05:00 PM
By the way, for those in the US and willing to review the game, we can send a coupon code. PM and/or post here.
05-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Just sent a PM. I'm incredibly eager to try this one out.
05-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhgii View Post
Just sent a PM. I'm incredibly eager to try this one out.
Sent.
05-29-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm surprised I'm one of the only ones that jumped on this so far, and I'm glad I did. I won't post a full-blown review right now, as I've only been playing with it for an hour or so, but I'll definitely share my first thoughts:

I was pretty excited after seeing the screenshots and reading about it, since it's always fun to play a game that's really built for the iDevice platform. Once I loaded it up, I jumped right into the help menu, which consisted of 5 short snippets of information that explains the basics of the gameplay. The quick tutorial that followed was brief, but allowed me to get (what I thought) was a feel for the game.

Feeling relatively confident, I started up a new game. You're prompted to hold the device in the "playing position" - which I assumed was just wherever I was comfortable starting, and hit the middle of the screen to begin. What happened directly after was, in short, a complete disaster. I was just terrible. But, I persisted...

This is essentially a "match 4" game. An incredibly difficult one. You're trying to match one of each of the four icons, and ideally of the same color (which increases your "mana" of that color to gain a special ability). Within my play time, I didn't see multiple levels or solid ending, so it seems to be totally based on high scores, with the game getting progressively harder as you continue forward. Else, I'm just worse than I thought.

Luckily, this is all it needs to be. For the price they're asking, it's an incredibly original game based on quick-thinking, speed, and coordination. I hate tossing out words like "addicting," but it definitely left me with the "just one more try..." mentality. It's a great pick-up-and-play game, so if you're looking for anything original (and extraordinarily challenging), I'd definitely recommend it. I'm glad I got the chance to test it out! Best of luck, vimov.

Edit: And to note, I didn't even realize there was another review, as I was so quick to jump in for the promo code. I realize we sounded a bit similar at times, but it was unintentional. =)

Last edited by Uhgii; 05-29-2009 at 08:32 PM.
05-29-2009, 08:39 PM
this does look very interesting, please send a code!
05-30-2009, 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guant View Post
this does look very interesting, please send a code!
Sent.