★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Affliction-Zombie Rising-->Free

07-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Affliction-Zombie Rising-->Free

Just a heads up!
07-05-2012, 01:37 PM

Currently Enjoying: BUG HEROES 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Ninny speaks the truth.

07-05-2012, 01:40 PM
On it.
07-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Quoting from the forum thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naquatic View Post
Hey guys,

Just a heads up, the new update is live! We added a new gun, the AR34 Assault Rifle, and we switched to free + ad supported. Of course, anyone who bought the game previously will keep the same ad-free experience.

Based on feedback, we also removed the direct weapon IAPs in favor of a more exciting currency system: Zombie Ears. You earn an ear for each zombie you kill. 100% of the weapons can be unlocked with Ears, so with enough dedication anyone can access all of the content for free. Ears can also be acquired through IAP, and any purchase will automatically disable the ads.

So to recap: anyone who bought the game will have it in the exact same ad-free state, with a new gun and Zombie Ears! Anyone who wants to play the game without paying can get the same full experience, but they'll have to put up with ads. Anyone who wants to remove ads in the new version can do so by buying $0.99 worth of Zombie Ears (the original price of the game). We think this will please everyone, but TA always has a way of tearing apart our expectations .
07-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Downloaded it and it won't open. Deleted, re-downloaded and still won't open. Advice?
07-05-2012, 04:02 PM
To the dev: I didn't buy your game and I am greatfull for that. The "if you already own the game" is complete BS. Some of us purchase on our computers and DL it to our devices when we have the chance. Some of us have to delete programs to make room, since file sizes keep on increasing. If your sales were poor, maybe the reason is that there are few developers out there anymore, or so it seems, who don't pull crap like this.

Release a separate binary, call it "deluxe" or what have you. I can't believe apple allows this crap. If something doesn't make you as much money as you had hoped, try harder or find an other line of work. Quit ripping off your paid customers (of which I am not one, but have been in the same situation with many other apps) and maybe, just MAYBE, the average user wouldn't be so put off by paid apps.

Last edited by Greyskull; 07-05-2012 at 04:27 PM.
07-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
To the dev: I didn't buy your game and I am greatfull for that. The "if you already own the game" is complete BS. Some of us purchase on our computers and DL it to our devices when we have the chance. Some of us have to delete programs to make room, since file sizes keep on increasing. If your sales were poor, maybe the reason is that there are few developers out ther anymore, or so it seems, who pull crap like this.

Release a separate binary, call it "deluxe" or what have you. I can't believe apple allows this crap. If something doesn't make you as much money as you had hoped, try harder or find an other line of work. Quit ripping off your paid customers (of which I am not one, but have been in the same situation with many other apps) and maybe, just MAYBE, the average user wouldn't be so put off by paid apps.
+1 to this. Crap like paid apps switching to freemium is happening to often these days.
07-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
To the dev: I didn't buy your game and I am greatfull for that. The "if you already own the game" is complete BS. Some of us purchase on our computers and DL it to our devices when we have the chance. Some of us have to delete programs to make room, since file sizes keep on increasing. If your sales were poor, maybe the reason is that there are few developers out there anymore, or so it seems, who don't pull crap like this.

Greyskull,

I'm not sure what you mean. The app isn't freemium. None of the content has been locked or removed. The weapons were always offered both as skill-based unlocks (for reaching a certain wave) and as IAPs for players who didn't want to earn them. That is still the case in the new version. The unlock requirements are simply kill-based instead of wave-based now, which gives players a better sense of progress. The app isn't struggling at all; on the contrary we are blown away with how well it has done. It was the #2 game in the Swedish app store just yesterday.

Michael and Will
Naquatic - Guncrafter | MonsterCrafter | CivCrafter | CivMiner | Staying Together | Polybear | Shooting Showdown | Soccer Showdown | Basketball Showdown | Hockey Showdown | Football Showdown | Football Clicker | ACC Football Challenge | Touch Ski 3D | American Football | American Basketball | American Hockey | Solitaire Zen | Arena | Affliction | Corners

Last edited by Naquatic; 07-05-2012 at 07:29 PM.
07-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoSplash View Post
Downloaded it and it won't open. Deleted, re-downloaded and still won't open. Advice?
We received a pair of emails with that same complaint today. We think it's related to this: http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/05/apple-...on-the-matter/

Both users who emailed us found success by deleting the app from their device and their computer, redownloading it again a couple hours later, and performing a full reboot of their device.

Michael and Will
Naquatic - Guncrafter | MonsterCrafter | CivCrafter | CivMiner | Staying Together | Polybear | Shooting Showdown | Soccer Showdown | Basketball Showdown | Hockey Showdown | Football Showdown | Football Clicker | ACC Football Challenge | Touch Ski 3D | American Football | American Basketball | American Hockey | Solitaire Zen | Arena | Affliction | Corners
07-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naquatic View Post
Greyskull,

I'm not sure what you mean. The app isn't freemium. None of the content has been locked or removed. The weapons were always offered both as skill-based unlocks (for reaching a certain wave) and as IAPs for players who didn't want to earn them. That is still the case in the new version. The unlock requirements are simply kill-based instead of wave-based now, which gives players a better sense of progress. The app isn't struggling at all; on the contrary we are blown away with how well it has done. It was the #2 game in the Swedish app store just yesterday.
And what would you call the atrocious banner adds? The pre-update reviews, including I believe one on this site, all made mention of the game's atmosphere more than any other aspect. Don't you think banner ads might take away a bit? At the very least, if you ad adverts, don't take the iAd route. I expect those in web apps, like one for my local newspaper. The resolution doesn't even match.