★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iOS Card Games

07-06-2012, 06:28 AM
iOS Card Games

I'm not looking for Poker or Solitaire. I want a card game like Ascension or Magic 2013. I liked Shadow Era but it got boring quickly. If anyone knows of any deck building games or something similar, please post them. Thanks.
07-06-2012, 07:21 AM
Dominion is good and the app is a pretty good implementation.

07-06-2012, 09:05 AM
I can't comment on the quality but here is a list of iOS card based RPG/combat games. Please let me know if any are missing. I'm trying to maintain a list of iOS RPG games.

Ascendancy: Chronicles of the God Slayer
Battle of Gundabad
Battlespell
Deck Make Fantasy
Dominion
Fantasy Adventures
Food Fight
Heroes Blade
Legend of Cryptikids
Necronomicon [also Arkham PI supplement app]
Nightfall
Orions: Legends of Wizards
Orions 2
Riese: Battle for Eleysia
Shadow Era
Soul Card Master
Summoner War
A Weird RPG: Another Adventure
07-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
Ascension, not Ascendancy.

Quote:
Legend of Cryptikids
Legend of the Cryptids.

Also add Cabals and Assassin's Creed Recollection to your list.
07-06-2012, 12:27 PM
You can also add these to the list aswell...

Urban Rivals
Paleo
MonTowers
Rage of Bahamut
Kard Combat
Zombie Jombie
07-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
Ascension, not Ascendancy.

Legend of the Cryptids.

Also add Cabals and Assassin's Creed Recollection to your list.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0N3 View Post
You can also add these to the list aswell...

Urban Rivals
Paleo
MonTowers
Rage of Bahamut
Kard Combat
Zombie Jombie
Cool! I appreciate it.

List updated! Also credit given on listing.
07-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Some of these, including Rage of Bahamut, are not real games. The gameplay is nothing more than clicking on menus to upgrade cards and battle other players (mostly ai bots designed to appear like humans). A "battle" consists of clicking on a button and then receiving a message telling you who won. You continue to click on menus and eventually reach a point where it is too tedious not to spend money to upgrade or shorten wait times.

The following feature real gameplay:

Battle of Gundabad
Dominion
Food Fight
Heroes Blade
Kard Combat
Necronomicon [also Arkham PI supplement app]
Nightfall
Orions: Legends of Wizards
Orions 2
Riese: Battle for Eleysia
Shadow Era
Urban Rivals

The following are scams:

Rage of Bahamut (and every other game that requires "evolving" or "upgrading" cards)

The vast majority of the positive reviews of these games are posted by the dev or bots created by the dev.

Last edited by Quantus; 07-06-2012 at 02:17 PM.
07-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantus View Post
Some of these, including Rage of Bahamut, are not real games... The vast majority of the positive reviews of these games are posted by the dev or bots created by the dev.
Thanks, I will review list and exclude as you advised unless anyone else can reasonably suggest otherwise. One reason I didn't include any "MMO" games in the list is because those always seem like scams. The card game genre is especially bad about money traps.
07-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
Thanks, I will review list and exclude as you advised unless anyone else can reasonably suggest otherwise. One reason I didn't include any "MMO" games in the list is because those always seem like scams. The card game genre is especially bad about money traps.
I'm not sure which are scams, other than Rage. But it's pretty safe to assume that if evolving or upgrading cards is involved, there is an absence of core gameplay.

There are exceptions of course. Urban Rivals involves upgrading cards. However, UR actually involves some strategy when battling another player, albeit the game is generally considered to be a bit shallow in this respect.

Last edited by Quantus; 07-06-2012 at 03:34 PM.
07-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantus View Post
Some of these, including Rage of Bahamut, are not real games. The gameplay is nothing more than clicking on menus to upgrade cards and battle other players (mostly ai bots designed to appear like humans). A "battle" consists of clicking on a button and then receiving a message telling you who won. You continue to click on menus and eventually reach a point where it is too tedious not to spend money to upgrade or shorten wait times.
I hate finding what looks like a promising game, but I download it and find all I can do is click buttons over and over to complete missions. They are all just money grabbers.