★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: What do you get when you mash two words together to create one hilarious new word?

FRANKENWORD: the game of hilarious word creation

This is a word game unlike any other answers to clues overlap to create Frankenwords like:

COUGARCADE (cougar + arcade)
WOMENCHILADA (women + enchilada)
CHILLUSTRATION (chill + illustration)
DWARFARE (dwarf + warfare)

Each puzzle contains two clues that you must use to create your Frankenword.
Each Frankenword consists of two words that are combined to make one word.

Once you solve the puzzle, share it with your friends on Facebook and Twitter with your own creative definition, and earn yourself some HINTS!

600+ puzzles, with more coming!
Earn Hints for sharing!
New FREE stages released every month!

A new iOS word game with all the right moves.
- games.com

Frankenword is a clever word game that does freemium right. Id highly recommend downloading it and giving it a try.
- AppAdvice

'Alarmadillo!' Brilliant.
- Pocket Gamer
07-07-2012, 03:53 PM
I've been playing this game for an hour or so and it's really quite enjoyable.

It's comparable to 7 little words, it's a free word game based on clues and finding the correct answer from the scrambled letters.
But with a twist - combined words.

It's very fun and addictive. First 50 levels are free, which is quite a bit of content. Ive been playing an hour and I have only just finished.

Will be buying some level packs for sure. Very interesting concept.

07-09-2012, 09:01 AM
Purchased all the level packs today for $2.99 not bad but I wish you got hints with it.

No one else is playing this? It's seriously pretty awesome. It's such a small file size too and FREE! it must take alot for people to hit the download button these days!

Maybe there's just not many word game fans here??
07-09-2012, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=Tannorexic;2338137]Purchased all the level packs today for $2.99 not bad but I wish you got hints with it.

Hey Tannorexic, I am glad you enjoy the game. And thanks for the feedback on the hints thing. we are actually about to release an update that will bundle more hints with level purchases, and retroactively award users, like yourself, that have purchased the level packs some hints. its a great idea to bundle the two.

I am glad you like the game, I wish there were more like you around!
07-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Game is a lot of fun. Been going through it a little bit today and it's easily worth picking up for the free price. Actually has some pretty clever word combinations.

I'll see if I end up picking up more word packets (likely will to support the dev), but it does seem like some hints with the full purchase would be a good incentive to go all out.

Might also be good if there was a grouping of words that was in a specific package that was some sort of timed event. Then you could have a leader board. Make it the type of thing where you get docked points for getting it wrong, and higher points for the speed you figure out the Frankenword. Just an idea.

I like the game where it is, but it would be even more fulfilling if I got some sort of bonus when I figure out a word quickly... perhaps an extra hint or something if I get a word within ten seconds.

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5
07-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Finally TA did a review of frankenword! Hopefully that means more people on here will discover it soon! This is one of the best words games Ives played on iOS.

[QUOTE=renfroam;2338338]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannorexic View Post
Purchased all the level packs today for $2.99 not bad but I wish you got hints with it.

Hey Tannorexic, I am glad you enjoy the game. And thanks for the feedback on the hints thing. we are actually about to release an update that will bundle more hints with level purchases, and retroactively award users, like yourself, that have purchased the level packs some hints. its a great idea to bundle the two.

I am glad you like the game, I wish there were more like you around!
Oh thanks so much xether labs! I'm so thrilled to hear you will also reward your previous buyers with hints too! alot of games don't do that! Much respect I purchased a 100 hint pack but I've almost gone through them.. I tried to buy more the other day but for some reason you can't purchase hints if you already have a few hints left! Must be only if you have 0 and it says "buy more hints"?
I really especially loved the fact that new puzzles will come every month, that is something not alot of devs do! It's great knowing the game will be updated..nothing worse when you find a great game and then you finish it and that's it! Dev support is so important, I most certainly will buy every level pack that's ever released. That's how addicted I am to the game.
I used to play motion-ey games on my way to work on the train, but I used to get motion sickness and feel disorientated. Now I play this game every morning and I don't get sick anymore because I don't have to stare at the screen, I just see the clue, then just look around thinking about what the answer could be glancing down when I think of a word to see if it fits, it's wonderful ^_^.

I think a really cool idea would be to implement what the guy above said.. Some sort of point system ..maybe paying users get awarded points for getting the puzzle correct, and been better for short amount of time, and again even better for no incorrect entries.
That way the people who just want to enjoy the free puzzles can buy the hints, and the people who buy level packs can have a way to earn hints over time.. (plus have the option to buy extra hint packs too)
Only because it's a bit of a catch 22 currently, you want more levels, but more levels are basically pointless without hints, so you have to buy both, which is cool.. $5 isn't much at all, especially on a game with so much content! But I can imagine others would be a bit iffy about it. Since the AppStore is really a 99c place..
Maybe even a timer like "smarter than a 5th grader" .. Where you get awarded 1 point every 10 minutes, then if you leave it 10 hours, you open the game and your point bar is filled to the maximum (100 points maybe?) then you can purchase hints with your points.. 20 points get you 1 hint or something.. Even though it's a tiny amount of hints, it'll still JUST be enough to scrape through those super hard levels that you just cannot solve no matter how much you rack your brain or use google.. It's just because like... If you spend $3+ on a game.. people expect they should pretty much own that game outright and not have to pay more (other than to buy more level packs, that's fine) but Im not really sure if people react kindly for having to continue to buy hints all the time after spending a certain amount of money, I think it's great for people who only want to play the free levels to have to pay for hints,(since there getting free levels every month anyway) But for people who spend $3+ there should probably atleast be some way to get a small amount of hints for free because alot of people get extremely annoyed when they pay to unlock a game, and keep being charged for more. (once again, not level packs ) - I'd happily buy unlimited levels pack for eternity without even feeling slightly dissapointed at the pricing, but I can imagine most ppl will play this game for months on end and continue to buy all content available, it'd get annoying after a while continually having to buy hints.. I really hope there will be a way to top up your hints, like the timer thing, even if we have to pay for it. (I'd probably pay a couple bucks for the privilege of a hint timer metre collector thing) but I'd be even more happy if people who buy level packs(or just everyone if that's not possible to code) get points for each correct answer, which can then be used to buy hints, would be even better. Sorry if this comes off as snarky, trying to explain it in the best way I can without it sounding negative at all because that's not my intentions nor views at all, I just have been around the forums long enough to know how furious people get about reoccurring IAP even after you've spent enough money to generally unlock a full game in comparison to other games on the iOS market.
Actually, an easier way would just be to award everyone with 1 or 2 free hints everyday, then you might get a bonus each consecutive day you log in (3 days in a row you might get a bonus 3 hints, etc)
Most people will probably be happy buying an extra hint pack here and there to have to luxury of lots of hints, but others, likes kids and teenagers and people on fixed incomes Would really appreciate not feeling forced to buy hints because there completely stuck on a level, and instead have a few free hints every now and then for absolute emergencies.(I know you can just skip the level entirely, but alot of people have OCD and simply can't move on to another question until the previous is finished!) I think I'd have nightmares if I tried to skip a level lol..I'd be dreaming of the letters haunting me every night until I solved it.
I think Often games succeed when people don't feel forced into making IAP too, a good example in dragonvale, if you've played dragonvale you'd know that they give you a fair few gems everyday you play, but you can also buy extra gems, I've spent over $50 on DV, and I truly don't know why because you can very easily save up gems.. I think it's because people almost feel like DV is loyal and trustworthy, whereas other games like zyngas tiny tower clone I'd never spend 3c on! I think it's a good strategy, most would think "why buy the cow if you can get the milk for free" but I don't think it works like that personally..it's better to give them a tiny taste of the milk so they get addicted, then you'll have a customer for life. Anyway, I'm rambling. My apologies, my cat woke me up at 4am with a nice big poo in his kitty litter tray (in my bdrm) so I had to get up to clean it up, and then I had to check my dragons, then I somehow ended up on TA, then here..and the sleep typing began.
Anyway, moving along.

The game is amazingly addictive... I hope someday users can submit their own definition and actually have it appear in the game after an update. I think that'd really encourage people to get social and share the definitions on twitter etc, then other people will see it and hopefully download the game..
The definitions were one of my favorite features in the game, absolutely amazing attention to detail.. But sadly it often doesn't have definitions anymore.. Do you think that could be an option in the future? If so.. You should also list that in the game because I'm sure alot of people will be tweeting their own definitions then!

I really hope this game goes viral, it's a unique concept that is fun and humorous, and has social elements.. And helps with your vocabulary and keeps your mind active.. It's truly a masterpiece!
I was shocked when it first came out how hard it must be to convince people to download a game, it's free and has a tiny file size, I can't understand for the life of me why someone wouldn't Download it..just goes to show how bloody hard it is to get people's attention in the iOS world, so many apps to choose from, and so many junk apps, unfortunately people don't know who to trust and don't always trust free downloads now because shamefully other dodgey freemiums have ruined it for the actual good free games, like this one.

Looks like it's getting alot of media attention now! seen it on a few iOS review sites lately! So congratulations on that! It can be damningly hard to get your game featured on those sites! It has to be a bloody good game! So clearly your doing something/ everything right! I hope it's on the top of the charts soon to ensue more level packs will be coming so I won't have to get motion sickness again!
I see it's at number #36! not bad but it should be #1
I looooove it! Thanks for the entertainment, and sorry for the wall of text, once I get yapping about something great, I cant stop! I hope to see user submitted definitions soon! (through twitter?) or even just through the game if that's possible, everyone could submit their own, and other users could rate each other, and the top rated can show up as the default definition for that level? (easier said then done, I know nothing about coding! I envy those who do) congrats again! Are more levels still coming aug 1st? I've still got hundreds of levels to complete! I better get cracking, don't want to fall behind too much like in did with 7LW.

Last edited by Tannorexic; 07-17-2012 at 03:54 PM.
07-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannorexic View Post

No one else is playing this? It's seriously pretty awesome. It's such a small file size too and FREE! it must take alot for people to hit the download button these days!

Maybe there's just not many word game fans here??
I downloaded it a few days ago but just got around to playing it today. I like it a lot. It's got a wonderfully minimal and simple UI, the definitions are funny in a dry sort of way, and the word combos are clever. It's a cooler version of the "Before and After" category on Wheel of Fortune.

and the horse you rode in on

Awaiting: Ridiculous Fishing // Random Battles // Monster Loves You! // Punch Quest // FIST OF AWESOME // Hammer04 // Icebreaker: A Viking Voyage
07-18-2012, 06:43 AM
I <ahem> obviously dig word games. I spent some time playing Frankenword and overall I'm very impressed. Nice original concept that was well-executed. The graphics look nice and the puzzles themselves are fun and often quite amusing. And it is free, (in app purchases only necessary if you want more than the 50 free puzzles they give you) so what's not to like? They have a nice hint system also.

I found the puzzles to be either VERY easy which I would finish in less than 10 seconds, or hard enough to give me pause for a couple of minutes.

A couple of things I think could be improved:
1. Don't use real puzzles that are included in the game in the App Store screenshots: I'm looking at you "Alarmadillo". The same goes true for the example words given in the text description on iTunes in which 4 other actual puzzle answers are given.

2. They have a nice "back" arrow for navigating back to look at old puzzles you've solved, but I'd like a forward arrow to skip ahead to other puzzles. You can go back one screen and then jump to any other "forward" puzzle in the list, but I don't want to have to do that.

3. This is a developer complaint more than anything--if you've partially solved a puzzle, then switch to another app, iOS can shut down Frankenword if it needs more memory. In such cases it appears that once you start the app back up again you have to reselect the puzzle you were on, and your partial solution is no longer there. It would be nice if everything was in the exact state it was when you left it.

Overall, great effort though, I like it a lot and plan on finishing all 50 of the free words at bare minimum.

Like word games?

Watch a video of my new iPhone game Word Safe on YouTube here or get it from the App Store for free here. Follow me on Twitter, @WordSafeApp, I usually follow back.

Last edited by adajos12; 07-18-2012 at 06:45 AM. Reason: added some bold text
07-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Nice to see some words from "Word Vault" on here. Both that game "Frankkenword" are great games and should be picked up for at least a quick look if you're even remotely interested in word games.

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5
07-18-2012, 09:34 AM
Well, let`s give this small One a try...