Any RPG similar to Zenonia on the PC?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by spvn, May 30, 2009.

1. spvn

spvn Active Member

May 30, 2009
    Hey I was wondering if there're any RPGs that are similar to Zenonia on the iPhone for the PC. Meaning those that don't have random encounters (ala Final Fantasy/Pokemon) but rather live battles... And similar in other ways as well...

Any ideas guys? Thanks...

2. JTHM87

JTHM87 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Auto Finance
    King of Prussia, PA
    If you're willing to use an emulator on your PC, Golden Sun is a really awesome game that I believe shares similarities with Zenonia.

Some screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. iSmallZx

iSmallZx Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
  4. spvn

spvn Active Member

May 30, 2009
    Lol Runescape's more towards a MMORPG rather than an RPG with a whole story line. The only reason why I pointed out the "no random battles" thing was because I don't really enjoy RPGs with random battles, but I still enjoy great stories and art styles, both of which Zenonia has.

If only it was ported for touch controls (ie. menus weren't navigated using the D-pad)

EDIT: Oh and thanks for the recommendation jthm87, anyone else got more games to suggest?

5. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    I am the same. I hate random battles, so I don't quite enjoy games like Final Fantasy, or Golden Sun. I'd still play them for the story. Golden Sun is a beautiful game but it has the random encounters battles system and it's turn based.

For hack and slash action rpgs, I'd say Fable and Sacred series are similar to Zenonia in terms of gameplay. Their art style is nothing like Zenonia but the games share similarity in that you go out the field and you kill monsters as you see them, and there are many side missions. They don't have a strong main storyline imho. I think there's a game called Fate, but I never played that one.

6. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    I'd probably say Diablo 1 and 2 are awesome games with great story and multiple classes and skill trees.

Or check out a free game called ShadowFlare, it's similar. (To Diablo)
    http://www.shadowflare.us/

7. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    I know it's totally different but Oblivion is a masterpiece.

8. Yagami_Light

Yagami_Light Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    If you like Diable, you should check out Baldur's Gate (for the PC. Not the crappy console and handheld ones). The have similar gameplay, and amazing storylines (probably the best story in a video game). You can have up to six characters in your party, and there are a bunch to choose from.

9. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    If an MMORPG is fine with you, IMO, Maple Story is the closest thing to it.

10. CyrenX

CyrenX New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    About Zenonia-like games on PC

Legend of Zelda: Minish cap is live battles it just lacks the battle skills and skill system which is the best part. But at least its live battles and the artwork is just like Zenonia. It's got quite a good storyline as well.

Platform: GBA/VBA
    RPG

11. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

I was gonna post that. Oblivion is the best rpg and almost the best game I have ever played.

12. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Any of the zelda games are almost identical to this (especially a link to the past which is on SNES and GBA), but i actually enjoyed Sword of Mana for the GBA ALOT more. It's almost exactly like Zenonia in combat style. There's no random encounters, a good storyline, and with the time I've had with it (I unfortunately lost the game and had to start over on emulators) I got like halfway through the game, and I spent alot of time on the game. And actually I thought it had a bit more than zenonia with a ton of different weapons and equipment and side quests.

If you're looking for a regular turn based RPG without random encounters check out Paper Mario for the N64 and Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga for the GBA. In both you can see your enemies in the field screen and avoid them, combat them, or even get a first strike where you enter battle with an attack and not waste your turn. Hope this helps.

13. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    Square enix's Mana series is the closest you can get to Zenonia, IMO. Much better games, too :)

14. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere

I know i was addicted to those games for the longest time. Sword of Mana was my favorite GBA game for a long time and Secret of Mana was my favorite SNES game for a while too. Definetly worth it if you like those kind of games.

15. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    I wouldn't say best rpg, but it was a great game. I haven't finished it yet cuz I forget about it a lot. I play it in spurts usually.

16. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    +1 sword of mana was epic.

17. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Barely any games mentioned is similar to Zenonia; Oblivion? Baldur's Gate? Diablo? o_O Those aren't even C/J-RPGs to start with, with a totally different style. I played all of them, and personally I fell asleep within 5 minutes of playing Baldur's Gate and Oblivion since it's just soooo boring, and Diablo got boring after a few chapters since the grinding was insane.
    Xanadu is the closest game I know to Zenonia, the only difference being it has 3D anime graphics instead of 2D anime graphics. Everything else is pretty much the same; attack monsters on site, control one character, has a few skills, has an inventory, has quests and side quests, dungeons, etc. Another close one is the Ys Series, very similar to Xanadu except that there is more action; you have to jump and dodge enemy attacks and link attacks to perform combos, etc, almost like an RPG with Devil May Cry elements.

18. Ruppo

Ruppo New Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Torchlight

I think that your descriptions fits well with the game "Torchlight". I also play Zenonia and I have been always been an avid fan of Gamevil upon playing their masterpiece; my favorite is Zenonia 4. And for the PC, I had played Torchlight and really enjoyed the time playing it that it took me until 2:00pm to actually sleep in the midnight. Enchanting, Finding unique weapons, hack and slash, and combo skills had been my past time playing it.