Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 05-30-2009, 06:45 AM
iPhone 5

Default beta testers -- someone with experience from ibetatest.com?

We are probably going to do some external beta testing for our next game, and in the search of good beta testers I stumbled upon ibetatest.com. Is there anyone here with any experience from using the site, either as a beta tester or as a developer?

Thanks in advance!

(I think we are going to select 50% of the beta testers that already have a rating on the site, and 50% with no rating at all)

Last edited by Anders; 05-30-2009 at 08:44 AM..
Old 05-30-2009, 08:42 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to yourofl10

I'm on ibetatest.com I think it's easy to use and very helpful. There;s alot of people on there.I think you should give it a shot.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:50 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 3.x

I just joined there, seems very nice. It should make everything a lot easier.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:57 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

I'm on there as well but I haven't got a request from there as of yet =/

I was starting to think it was all beta testers and no devs
Old 05-30-2009, 10:40 AM

Haven't tried iBetaTest, but we've actually had great experiences just recruiting beta testers directly from TouchArcade and Twitter. We've gotten great feedback, and since we all hang out in the same place, the people are trustworthy. For example, VeganTnT has now beta tested 2 of our games and gave some really helpful feedback - and I remember him blogging about Imangi about 10 months ago, so there's a history there Also, the TA people who beta test your game will generally go on to talk it up after the game comes out.

What I usually like to do is post a thread previewing the game, and somewhere in the middle start recruiting people for the beta. That way, the people who respond are the ones that have been following your thread all along, and you know they're interested in the game. Not just people who jump on a thread with the word "beta" in it because they want a free game.

I've also gotten a lot of interested people on Twitter, and that's another community that weeds itself out. If they're following my posts closely enough to see my call for beta testers, then they're genuinely interested and will probably give good feedback. And again - since they're on Twitter, they will advertise your game for you once it comes out, which is always great.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:42 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

I think it would be better to go with ppl here on TA as natty said.
Anders: I hope I'm trustworthy to beta test!!!
Old 05-30-2009, 10:51 AM

I have gotten a few good testers from ibetatest however you need to be very careful and I would not release to unknown people unless you have anti-cracking code in place. If you do not you stand the chance of the game being cracked then leaked to the pirates before even being released.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:07 AM
iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegantTnT View Post
I'm on there as well but I haven't got a request from there as of yet =/

I was starting to think it was all beta testers and no devs
I'm not sure, but don't you have to manually apply for beta testing? I don't think you can just sit back and wait. Not sure though.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:13 AM
iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattylux View Post
Haven't tried iBetaTest, but we've actually had great experiences just recruiting beta testers directly from TouchArcade and Twitter. We've gotten great feedback, and since we all hang out in the same place, the people are trustworthy. For example, VeganTnT has now beta tested 2 of our games and gave some really helpful feedback - and I remember him blogging about Imangi about 10 months ago, so there's a history there Also, the TA people who beta test your game will generally go on to talk it up after the game comes out.

What I usually like to do is post a thread previewing the game, and somewhere in the middle start recruiting people for the beta. That way, the people who respond are the ones that have been following your thread all along, and you know they're interested in the game. Not just people who jump on a thread with the word "beta" in it because they want a free game.

I've also gotten a lot of interested people on Twitter, and that's another community that weeds itself out. If they're following my posts closely enough to see my call for beta testers, then they're genuinely interested and will probably give good feedback. And again - since they're on Twitter, they will advertise your game for you once it comes out, which is always great.
thanks for sharing your thoughts!

ibetatest.com can be used as a tool, as in you can add beta testers yourself, from TA for instance. there seems to be a neat little bug repporting/feature suggestion system too.

The problem is that if you let 100 people beta test your app, I reckon around half of them will actually be helpful in some way (i.e. report bugs, come with suggestions etc). The idea behind ibetatest.com is pretty novel, the beta testers get a rating so it's pretty easy to pick ones that are good.

That said, I would love to have people from TA beta test.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:13 AM
iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannys95 View Post
I think it would be better to go with ppl here on TA as natty said.
Anders: I hope I'm trustworthy to beta test!!!
Sure!