★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Puppy's Plaything - pure puzzle power - for FREE!



Will you be able to get to your plaything? And will you be able to collect the bones on your way in the best possible order?

Sure, you will! :-)

Activate your brain cells and help your puppy get to the toy of its dreams!



FEATURES:

4 chapters with 69 levels + 16 bonus levels (more to come, for free of course!)
Outstanding 3D graphics
Great animations
Fully customizable puppy -> Angel, Gentleman or Ninja, it's time to dress up!
Awesome music
Varied gameplay - puzzle + arcade = fun!
Game Center Achievements and Highscores



If you encounter problems, the smuttlewerker's are always here for you. Drop us a line: contact@smuttlewerk.de


This version of Puppy's Plaything is universal for all iOS devices from the 3rd generation onward!

A special HD version for iPad 2&3 is available also - for FREE!

smuttlegiaco's comments:




The HD version of the game will come later this month. We managed to screw some things up (in the HD version - it should only be downloadable with iPad 2&3, but we forgot to add the UI Requirements for the camera) , sry for this.
This version will not look as good as the HD version on iPad 2 and iPad 3.

Nevertheless: Have fun!!!
07-10-2012, 08:56 AM
#2
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuttlegiaco View Post
The HD version of the game will come later this month. We managed to screw some things up, sry for this. This version will not look as good as the HD version on iPad 2 and iPad 3.
Wouldn't it make more sense then to release an update "later this month" that fixes this "universal" version instead?..

07-10-2012, 09:07 AM
#3
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense then to release an update "later this month" that fixes this "universal" version instead?..
I edited my post above. the universal version looks and plays great on all devices, there's nothing to fix there. we had to go this route (universal - HD) because of the low RAM of the old devices.

the HD version features higher res textures and effects, which would be the downfall for iPad1 and iPod4.
07-10-2012, 09:11 AM
#4
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuttlegiaco View Post
I edited my post above. the universal version looks and plays great on all devices, there's nothing to fix there. we had to go this route (universal - HD) because of the low RAM of the old devices.

the HD version features higher res textures and effects, which would be the downfall for iPad1 and iPod4.
I'm still confused. But I'm fairly sure you might want to also edit this little bit of exuberance from the actual app description:

"This version of Puppy's Plaything is universal for all iOS devices from the 3rd generation onward!"
07-10-2012, 09:18 AM
#5
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
I'm still confused. But I'm fairly sure you might want to also edit this little bit of exuberance from the actual app description:

"This version of Puppy's Plaything is universal for all iOS devices from the 3rd generation onward!"
I don't understand why they would change that. Isn't it true? This is a general issue and growing problem for developers who want to support aging devices and also take advantage of new hardware. They have to bloat their apps with multiple types of graphics that may or may not ever be needed, or make separate versions of the app with overlapping device compatibly potentially confusing customers. I don't think either is ideal, and can't say I prefer either one over the other, but I'm not sure what another answer would be.
07-10-2012, 09:29 AM
#6
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
I don't understand why they would change that. Isn't it true? This is a general issue and growing problem for developers who want to support aging devices and also take advantage of new hardware. They have to bloat their apps with multiple types of graphics that may or may not ever be needed, or make separate versions of the app with overlapping device compatibly potentially confusing customers. I don't think either is ideal, and can't say I prefer either one over the other, but I'm not sure what another answer would be.
Well, it clearly isn't true to my mind, as that includes iPad 2 and 3, doesn't it? And were I to buy this "universal" version for either of those devices, the last thing I'd be expecting to see in a couple of weeks is a "better" version for my device. Particularly as there is no mention of such in the app description itself. Why are TA readers the only ones getting the heads up?

"Universal" has come to represent a certain standard, and it does not stand for "less than HD." I'm puzzled as to why someone would attempt to skew or distort this standard significantly. I'm fully giving the developer the benefit of the doubt that nothing deceitful was attempted on purpose, but pointing out that something doesn't seem right here.
07-10-2012, 09:42 AM
#7
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Well, it clearly isn't true to my mind, as that includes iPad 2 and 3, doesn't it? And were I to buy this "universal" version for either of those devices, the last thing I'd be expecting to see in a couple of weeks is a "better" version for my device. Particularly as there is no mention of such in the app description itself. Why are TA readers the only ones getting the heads up?

"Universal" has come to represent a certain standard, and it does not stand for "less than HD." I'm puzzled as to why someone would attempt to skew or distort this standard significantly. I'm fully giving the developer the benefit of the doubt that nothing deceitful was attempted on purpose, but pointing out that something doesn't seem right here.
Universal is defined by Apple. It just means an iPhone app and iPad app combined in a single binary. I agree the app description should state that an HD version is coming.
07-10-2012, 09:46 AM
#8
Joined: May 2010
Location: Deepest Circle, Hell
Posts: 8,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuttlegiaco View Post
the HD version features higher res textures and effects, which would be the downfall for iPad1 and iPod4.
What about iPhone 4?

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
07-10-2012, 09:50 AM
#9
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 496
it would all be ok, if Apple gave us a chance to set the compatibility for the different devices manually. but that's not possible.

listen, if we could have made the universal version with 32-bit 2048x2048 textures and Anti Aliasing activated, we would have done it. but, as said above, this won't work for the older devices.

we have a nice looking universal version for all devices and we can have a great looking HD version for iPad 2&3. and now my question:

shouldn't we try to give iPad 2&3 users the chance to buy a better looking version?

if we had the experience, resources and contacts to make only one universal app, we would do so, believe me. as it is, we just can't do it.

if you buy this version, write us later, once we get promo codes for the HD version and I will send you one once the game is live. if you think we do this to lie to our customers or to make more money, you're wrong. not only would we harm ourselves and our reputation doing this, it would also be quite dumb to assume we can trick our customers.

ok guys, I alter the description, you have me convinced! (Edit: added the info about HD to the itunes description)

@metalcasket: it looks great on the small devices. large textures don't make a huge difference on the small screen devices! iPhone 4 has 512MB RAM, so no problem there. the universal will also work great on the 256mb devices (iPod and iPad1)

Last edited by smuttlegiaco; 07-10-2012 at 09:56 AM.
07-10-2012, 10:00 AM
#10
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
Universal is defined by Apple. It just means an iPhone app and iPad app combined in a single binary. I agree the app description should state that an HD version is coming.
What it's defined as by Apple, and what it represents to the consumer, are not mutually exclusive. Look, I am not looking for an argument. I was just stating that any iPad 2/3 owner who'd purchase this app is highly likely to feel miffed (at best) upon seeing a superior version. And rightly so. Now, the developer is fully entitled to choose to confuse their potential customers and invite negative feedback from their actual ones, if they so choose. You, are fully entitled to go to bat for them on the ground of semantics. I don't think I have anything else useful to add to this discussion.