Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-11-2012, 07:10 AM

Default Sinbad - (by Rebellion Games)[Universal]

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Note:

The Developer was informed about those Sound Glitches. Let`s hope they fix those as soon as possible.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:25 AM

I read 1001 Nights and saw Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger at a very impressionable age, and Sinbad remains to this day my favorite fantasy character. If Rebellion respects the original stores and this is not an IAP fest (and the "one touch" controls don't make for ridiculously repetitive combat) Sinbad could easily become my favorite release of the year. I'll download when I get to work and try to get some play at lunchtime.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:25 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Hmmm does look good but wish this had a joypad.

Must admit i'm put off simply with the 'post your ship to Facebook' stuff. Last thing i want to do is annoy friends/family with crap like this.

Think i'll wait to hear from others before getting this. But whether its First Touch Soccer trying to spam my twitter account or other games wanting to use my facebook account - nooooo ! I simply want to play the game and not do advertising for the companies
Old 07-11-2012, 09:31 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

While the game looks gorgeous, the ship as an upgradeable homebase is a nice concept, and the historical setting tugs at my heartstrings, timed gameplay cap mechanics are one of the few implementations of freemium I do have a problem with (the most notable other being purchasable, otherwise non-acquirable items that give an absolute edge in competitive online games), and for me, "dynamic swordplay using an intuitive one-touch combat control system" is not a feature, but a shortcoming In the five minutes I watched of the video, I saw no evidence of evasive maneuvers or manual blocking, which might have spruced up and given depth to what otherwise looks like Brandnew Boy without the timing, evasion and special skills.

But in spite of this, I'll remain cautiously, naively optimistic. Seems I am not the only one in this thread
Old 07-11-2012, 11:09 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Wow, this looks like really fun, and it's even free so no harm in trying How are the IAPs?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:05 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

This game is a joy! Caught me totally by surprise, as I hadnt heard of its release at all.
First of all: it's free. Download it right now and try it.
IAP are purely for cosmetics. You earn gems in game as well, and I have been able to get most of the gem upgrades without spending a dime.
The 'timed play' mechanic someone was worrying about isn't a big deal. If you want a game to sit and play for hours go play Skyrim.
This is a game to pick up and play on your break at work, or while having a smoke.
The missions are short and sweet.
As for the combat, someone was saying there's no dodge or evasion? Have you played it? There's even an achievement for evading every hit in a fight. The fights require timing and precision to get the most XP out of it.
All in all a great game, give it a shot! The "post to Facebook" thing is so low profile - there's a tiny button on the overview screen of your ship. That's it. No popups or force postings.

My only complaint is that I like the look of thr default sails better than any I can purchase hehehe.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:13 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeKhan View Post
The 'timed play' mechanic someone was worrying about isn't a big deal. If you want a game to sit and play for hours go play Skyrim.
Or we might play one of the many, many games for iOS which do not limit the player to a few minutes of gameplay during lunchbreaks, costing the devs possible profit, and limiting their possibilities to developer more titles in the future. You see, if given the choice between two very similar games, one with caps on gameplay time, one without, many players would choose the non-capped game (even if it sets them back a dollar or two). And this, in turn, might be bad thing for the developers of the free but time-limited game, since fewer players means lesser chance of selling IAP. Unless, of course, the game is appealing to enough players to turn a good profit from IAP and spending gems to remove time limits.

I'm not saying caps on gameplay time is a bad business model (I actually have no idea how well it works in practice. It would be interesting to see Gameloft release some stats on the profits from their many time-capped games). But when I enjoy a game, I don't just always play it for a few minutes during lunch breaks, REGARDLESS of whether it is Skyrim, Starbase Orion, AC:R, Air Mail or Bug Heroes. And thus, Sindbad's timers gives me cause for pause in my expectancy, since I prefer a game that I can enjoy in accordance with my own wishes, not your analysis of just how it should be played.

Whether or not it is a big deal is subjective, so your opinions do nothing to change my mind (and the minds of other players who dislike gameplay timers), unless it is substantiated by good arguments as to why this particular game does not suffer from the inclusion of timers. And I'm afraid "go play Skyrim" is not quite extensive or illustrative enough

But it does make me curious: does this sentiment of yours, that extended gameplay sessions belong to games like Skyrim and the associated platforms, mean that you disapprove of games which encourage, or even allow, extended sessions for iOS?

Quote:
As for the combat, someone was saying there's no dodge or evasion? Have you played it? There's even an achievement for evading every hit in a fight. The fights require timing and precision to get the most XP out of it.
No. I said I could see no example of evasion or blocking mechanics in the video. I'm glad to hear evasion exists, though. How does it work? Swipes?

Quote:
IAP are purely for cosmetics. You earn gems in game as well, and I have been able to get most of the gem upgrades without spending a dime.
This confuses me, and seems possibly contradictory. Are there only cosmetic IAP in the store, or are there gem upgrades as well? (If your point is that players can earn enough gems in game to purchase most or all of the mechanical IAP, then that's good news!)

Last edited by Ayjona; 07-11-2012 at 01:18 PM..
Old 07-11-2012, 01:35 PM

Game has gorgeous graphics but the gameplay seems a little bland. I was hoping for tactical ship battles, but in the half hour I spent playing this game, I didnt see any. Imho a wasted opportunity!
Old 07-11-2012, 01:40 PM
iPad (4th Gen)

Ayjona,
I appreciate what you said and agree. Think I'll wait a bit and see just how/or if that's annoying enough to be a game-breaker for me.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashesh View Post
Imho a wasted opportunity!
So damn true that it does hurt because Sinbad could have been easily a new Jump'n'Run Hack'n'Slay Festival.

Strange that Gameloft didn`t took their Chance. They could have done easily something better and bigger then Prince of Persia with this Franchise.