★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Questions for consumers

11-23-2008, 11:20 PM
Questions for consumers

Hey All,

We've been working on our next game and are trying to decide how to release it to make both us, and the consumers most happy. We have a few different ideas and we would really like to hear what you all think about them.

First idea, release our game for a low price, but keep the content low... it will only have 10-15 levels. Instead of updating the game we release a new game and sell it again, much like toy bot diaries did with ep1 and 2.

Other idea... charge more for the game, but include more content on launch, and a few updates with some more levels... this might have 30 or so levels and would feel more like a complete game, but this will limit the updates in the future.

Third option, more or a hybrid between the two, I like this one the most. Release the game with a few levels, 10 or so, for a low price. First update will have more levels, but the price goes up with the update. This means free updates for anyone who buy it early, but as we add more content its going to cost to join in. The more updates the higher the price goes, not by much, and the update will have substantial amount of new content.(The game won't go up in price for simple bug fixes or anything like that, only new content).

Thanks ahead for anyone who comments!
11-23-2008, 11:28 PM
Fourth option

It would depend on the starting or entry price point and how involved the levels were (for example are they super quick to complete or more involved?).

A fourth option would be to release at a higher price point but with a free lite version for users to try before they buy. The trick with providing a lite version is that it needs to showcase the app and give potential customers a feel for it, enough to interest and encourage people to buy the full version. But not too much or there will be no incentive for a potential customer to cough up the extra money.

If the starting or entry price is "high" then a lite version would be a must for me (I wasted AUS$12.99 on Super Monkey Ball).

11-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_mani View Post
It would depend on the starting or entry price point and how involved the levels were (for example are they super quick to complete or more involved?).

If the starting or entry price is "high" then a lite version would be a must for me (I wasted AUS$12.99 on Super Monkey Ball).
We were thinking 1.99 to start, and probably another dollar for future updates. $4.99 for the higher price point.

The number of levels arbitrary, we haven't decided on the length of the levels but either way if we started it at $1.99 it would still be a decent sized game, just not "complete" until the updates are there.
11-23-2008, 11:47 PM
What type td
11-23-2008, 11:47 PM
5th option

Give it away for free...Seriously though, i like the 3rd option. It's what devs such as Bootant have done. I like this option as long as there's a promise, so to speak, of u actually updating the app it with new content and stuff.
11-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post
What type td
Platform game... how could we compete with our current TD? Haha :-D
11-23-2008, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaswills View Post
We were thinking 1.99 to start, and probably another dollar for future updates. $4.99 for the higher price point.

The number of levels arbitrary, we haven't decided on the length of the levels but either way if we started it at $1.99 it would still be a decent sized game, just not "complete" until the updates are there.
I would go for option 3 then. You could always do a lite version down the track to hook in more people if initial sales were disappointing.
11-23-2008, 11:59 PM
I suppose either way works if you do it right.

I think if you want to make episodes of a game, that's fine. But i don't think you can make the jumping point arbitrary. Depending on the game, each episode should be in a way self contained, or have its own story "arc" that finishes at the end. This is as i said dependent on the game, some games don't really have a story at all.

I however prefer to just have a complete game, with either all its levels included or the ability to download user generated levels (enigmo, bike or die 2).
11-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everydaynormalguy View Post
Give it away for free...Seriously though, i like the 3rd option. It's what devs such as Bootant have done. I like this option as long as there's a promise, so to speak, of u actually updating the app it with new content and stuff.
All of bootant's games are $0.99, don't see how they are increasing the price with updates.
11-24-2008, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_mani View Post
I would go for option 3 then. You could always do a lite version down the track to hook in more people if initial sales were disappointing.
I was thinking that too, have a lite version eventually which might just be the first initial release without any of the updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsteveman1 View Post
I suppose either way works if you do it right.

I think if you want to make episodes of a game, that's fine. But i don't think you can make the jumping point arbitrary. Depending on the game, each episode should be in a way self contained, or have its own story "arc" that finishes at the end. This is as i said dependent on the game, some games don't really have a story at all.

I however prefer to just have a complete game, with either all its levels included or the ability to download user generated levels (enigmo, bike or die 2).
User generated levels would be sweet, but not for this game, the levels are a bit complicated. We might make a game with user generated content in the future though, it's a very attractive feature.