★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Feel the beat as you weave your way through the pounding techno race tracks of the Bitstream universe. With 4 tournaments spread over 16 challenging courses, it'll take all your skill to defeat your rival racers and claim the title of ultimate Bitstream champion!

Bitstream takes classic vector line racing gameplay and gives it a unique audio-sensory makeover. Each movement by both the player and the AI racers is accompanied by beat matched audio cues, which build into a constantly evolving, dynamic sound-scape that ebbs and flows as the race progresses.

The full version of Bitstream includes:
- 16 unique tracks
- 4 challenging tournaments
- Freestyle music generator mode
- Gamecenter leaderboards and achievements

misterSquare's comments:

Hi folks - just wanted to drum up a little bit of exposure for my first iPhone game - Bitstream. Originally an Xbox Live Indie game, it was inspired by my love of the classic GBA game 'DotStream', which sadly never saw the light of day outside of Japan. Its basically a modernised take on a Tron-style line racing game, with fancier graphics and a funky music playback system that dynamically responds to how you're playing.

The first tournament (of four) is absolutely free, with a single in-app purchase to unlock the rest of the game. Unlocking the full version also grants you access to gamecenter achievements, leaderboards, and a 'freestyle' mode where you can just muck around with the music synthesiser to your heart's content.

Any comments or feedback would be much appreciated, whether good or bad. If the game gets enough fans, I'll hopefully be looking into extending it with more music styles and possibly visual themes (I can't help but think that a smooth-jazz version would be amazing!)

- misterSquare
07-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Game Impressions

I freaking love it...

Let`s start with the Do-List:
  • An Virtual Joystick to move Up or Down - Using my Thumb pretty much isn`t fast enough and after playing one Hour straight through it pretty much did even hurt a little.
  • An own Button for the Game Center Achievements - Currently there is only one for the Rankings.
  • Universal Build - This Game would pretty much blow up on the big Screen.
  • Multiplayer Modus - This Game shouts to be played against others over WiFi/GameCenter/...
  • Play my own Tracks - Either that or a Daft Punk/Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart/Ludwig van Beethoven - Version
Besides that:
  • Great Soundtrack - I demand a Download Button for the Soundtrack!
  • Music fade in/out - I love how the Music becomes slower when I hit a Wall and get`s faster when I speed up!
  • Great Gameplay - I really, really liked it so far and I hope that some of the Stuff mentioned above can find it`s Way into the Game.

Last edited by Sanuku; 07-15-2012 at 05:49 PM.

07-15-2012, 06:13 PM
I say that this is a great game to play with friends and that it works really well as a short game to play en-route to something. I love the tron like feel
07-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Definitely like this this style of game on gba and wii. can u implement a simple graphics mode?
07-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Cheers for the kind words, and for doing a video Sanuku!

Originally Posted by Sanuku View Post
[*]An Virtual Joystick to move Up or Down - Using my Thumb pretty much isn`t fast enough and after playing one Hour straight through it pretty much did even hurt a little.
Heh - I hadn't really considered this when using an iPad! I guess you're having to move your finger that much furthur to get the line to move up and down? Should be an easy fix to just adjust the sensitivity depending on what type of device you're playing on.

I'd love to do a proper iPad version - sadly as it was my first iOS game, I made a few basic errors when I started out that now mean it'll be quite a hassle to convert it. Not impossible - just tedious! Hopefully I'll get a bit of free time soon and I can look into it
07-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Great little game, just bought it. Love vector games and this is a classic simple game which oozes gameplay.

Wish there was a marker or countdown timer for how long is left in the race though

Anyway just bought and please more vector games
07-17-2012, 12:55 PM
This looks cool and I like what I'm seeing, so downloading it now! Glad I ran across this!
07-20-2012, 12:55 AM
I really love this game, and it would be a definite purchase if you released a stand alone, "full" version for sale in the AppStore. I frequently change what apps are on my device, and I just don't completely trust in-app unlocks.
07-20-2012, 03:36 AM
Really, it is awesome. This game is very nice to play with friends.
10-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Hey folks!

Just wanted to resurrect this thread to say that we've just done a free update of Bitstream, featuring a completely new, original soundtrack by the awesome Halc. Some of you might know him from his OCRemix albums, and he's also a member of this very forum - that's actually how we got in contact in the first place, so its very much a collaboration born of TouchArcade

Extremely talented and passionate guy btw - I can highly recommend him if you're looking for a composer/musician for your project.

We've also got proper iPad support, iPhone 5 support, tweaked graphics, and a cool new Geometry Wars-style morphing grid background, which looks dead sexy in motion.