★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

ZombieWords (by MonkeyPrism) Universal App

07-16-2012, 03:52 PM
ZombieWords (by MonkeyPrism) Universal App

Fair warning, I'm one of the developers for this game. The first 5 levels are free on the app store and the multiplayer mode is free. We just released it last week. Player feedback welcome!
Announcing ZombieWords! ZombieWords combines tongue-in-cheek survival horror with the vocabulary-building aspects of an anagram game. Using the power of your words, only you can help retired gunslinger Jebediah Moses save the world from the seemingly endless brain-eating zombie hordes. ZombieWords features Game Center support, with 40 levels of action and tons of interactive audio/visual elements to keep the player engaged.
Video Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdTV-JHOx88

iTunes Link: http://itunes.apple.com/app/zombiewords/id522136629
07-16-2012, 03:59 PM

Last edited by Sanuku; 07-17-2012 at 07:27 PM.

07-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Actually not a bad little word game. There is a bit of edge to it since you're trying to come up with the words while the zombies are closing in, but on an easy level it's not too much to worry about.

The good thing is that there are four different difficulties so you can up the challenge. The difficulty factor is the number of words that you have to create with your set of letters in order to pass the level. For instance you have to do 10 words on the easy level before you're overrun and then 20 words in the normal level. It gets hard very quickly.

Graphics are okay and there is some decent sounds to the game. You get the first five levels free and there is a multiplayer mode which is free as well. Though, I haven't tried the multi-player mode because none of my friends are on board yet and it doesn't have a random opponent feature as far as I can tell. When I just clicked "play now" I was greeted with a black screen.

There is a little bit of a story with the game, but I wish they'd put in a slight bit of RPG with it. Earn money based on big words and buy a more powerful gun, etc.. Also, the inclusion of some "key words" that would trigger a more powerful attack would have been cool as well. This would have been pretty easy to add since it seems like the letters are already set for each level.

As it stands now, the game is a good way to spice up the familiar word formula and is well worth a pick up. I liked the bit of zombie frenzy added in and picked up the full version (for a buck) very quickly.

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5
07-17-2012, 12:55 PM
QuickWit,
Thanks for the kind review and pointers. They are very helpful as I'm taking some notes on your ideas for a potential future release. Great feedback!

We just updated today with a 1.1 fix for the multiplayer mode as well.

Kind Regards,
Chris
07-17-2012, 02:12 PM
One thing I was thinking about is a gage that fills up whenever you make words of 5 letters or more. When you have that you can then own a grenade or something that you can toss to buy you some more time.

Or you could do the same sort of thing where five letter words earn you money that you can use between rounds to buy something like a grenade or armor.

Going through each of your levels and picking one "special" word could be something that gives more points.

I've only gone about 12 levels so far, but I was also wondering about a rescue type mission. You save someone one level and then they're with you, but when the zombies reach you they get killed. At the end of the round you get more bonus points for keeping survivors alive.

I'm sure that's adding a bit too much to things, but perhaps it could be something in any additional levels that you might put out.

Best of luck with the game!

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5
07-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Typing of the Dead clone? Good. Maybe it will light a fire under Sega's ***.
07-17-2012, 07:28 PM
Game Impressions

07-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyDad View Post
Typing of the Dead clone? Good. Maybe it will light a fire under Sega's ***.
Exactly and we integrated solving anagrams instead. A "Typing of the Dead" clone would be excellent!

I had an interested request from a family friend the other day that I allow people to type using a bluetooth keyboard with ZombieWords.

Thanks for the comment!