★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: App Store average scores

11-24-2008, 08:34 AM
App Store average scores

Got a strange one here...

All Stars Darts, three reviews all at 5 stars, average score 3 stars??!!!?

Now I know that if a review is given often the average score is updated before the review text goes live but this has been the case for over 24 hours.

Any ideas?

Yours puzzled...
11-24-2008, 08:38 AM
Maybe the new 2.2 iPhone uninstall rating feature taking action?

11-24-2008, 08:38 AM
Send a message via MSN to aghartastudio
mm maybe the Stars are using all the differents appstore reviews?

Alexandre leboucher - Agharta studio
Designer of 1112
Check out my twitter for latest updates!
11-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Yeah thats what I thought at first... but checking the UK app store we are showing a 5 star average rating which is right.

It would be strange that the UK app store would be treated differently whilst the US and French stores were averaged!
11-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Check out the discussion here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=604812

Basically, this is a result of the new rate-on-delete feature. When a user deletes an app, it now prompts them for a rating - star only, no comment. These star ratings to not get *shown* in the store, but they *are* used for calculating the average. Watch for everyone's average rating to drop quite a bit.

Personally, the feature seems completely bizarre to me. The person can't have liked an app that much if they're deleting it, so you'll get way more negative reviews that way than positive.
11-24-2008, 10:15 AM
I think Apple thinks that you only go into the itunes review process when you really like or hate an app, i.e., when you are really involved. But most people aren't that involved. So they added this feature to get more information of what people like and what not. But like most things in the AppStore (and that's typical for Apple in the last three years) they implemented this great idea only half-way. Since you are only asked to rate when you delete something, you only get negative or neutral comments, because the good stuff never gets deleted. They did not implement a feature which asks you a week after the buy how you like this app.

They once again broke the AppStore with this "feature".

And I noticed that unlike with the reviews these rating are added to the calculation immediately.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
11-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Send a message via AIM to eeenmachine
I think it should work out great for devs as long as more people love your app than hate it. Hopefully it will sink the crap that makes it on the top lists but many people delete after 1 run.
11-24-2008, 11:36 AM
But we now have three different processes:

One easy to rate apps when deleting an app, which obviously increases the number of low-star-ratings. This process is brought to you when you delete the app and you only have to select the stars.

Then we have the mini-reviews on the iPhone in the AppStore, where you have to find the app, show the reviews and then click on the write-button. You have to offer the rating AND and title. This is obviously harder to find and will therefore be used less than the delete-and-rate-functionality.

And then of course there's the iTunes variant: Much like the iPhone variant, but you have to write a review.

Both variants which involve text are of course not linked with "Rate this app" but with "Write a review", which from the wording has a totally different meaning. I'm never "forced" to rate good apps, which just stay on my iPhone. I have to go into the AppStore by myself and rate and review it. Push vs. Pull .

Maybe we'll see a change in the way the top lists are sorted. Currently it looks at the sold units. It should use the rating as well.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
11-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Send a message via AIM to eeenmachine
I agree that rating should be including in the ranking calculations. While I agree that the new rating popup encourages low-star reviews I think it is appropriate. If an app is useful and entertaining enough to truly be a 4-5 star app, why would it be deleted from a good chunk of users' phones in the first place?
11-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeenmachine View Post
I agree that rating should be including in the ranking calculations. While I agree that the new rating popup encourages low-star reviews I think it is appropriate. If an app is useful and entertaining enough to truly be a 4-5 star app, why would it be deleted from a good chunk of users' phones in the first place?
I don't like it at all. It encourages low star reviews, and since there are no comments the feedback is pretty useless.

Maybe they should show popup after a you open the app a certain number of times, it would make it a little more balanced.