★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: "Terribly addicting! I have refused for years to ever get into a single game app, and it was always easy until I found Word Jewels. So fun, so quick, I can't say enough about how much I enjoy the game!" --Jordan SC

Word Jewels® 2 is SUPER FUN and 100% FREE!

"This is such an addicting game. I absolutely love it!!!!!!"  --hb9202010
"Love this game on my phone for all those 'waiting' times in life." --NannerBanner
"I absolutely love Word Jewels. I hope to keep playing this game for a long time. It is never boring. Thanks for making it free!" --2011bulldog
"I like word games with friends, but get tired of the timed ones. It's really relaxing to take your time and strategize without racing the timer. And with a choice of five games I can play different ones and switch back and forth" --Jllew333

EASY TO LEARN AND PLAY!

One-minute tutorial that teaches you how to play!

Make words in any direction with just a swipe!

Your goal is to make words that use up all the red jewels, but you only get a few "moves" each level to make words You can do it!

FIVE GAME MODES TO SUIT YOUR MOOD!

Want classic Word Jewels word-finding, that's even better? Try Classic Mode!

Do you love making it to high levels, but get frustrated when you get snookered by a Z in the corner and have to start over? Try Endless Mode!

Want a super-hard challenge that's not for the faint of heart? Try Challenge Mode!

Got ten minutes? Try Rally Mode to play ten levels of patterned jewels that are just like the multiplayer game Word Rally, but solo!

Or try Blitz Mode! In just one level, how high can you score? Use the multiplier jewels and see how high you can get! Bet you can't just play it once

RELAX WHILE YOU SHARPEN YOUR MIND!

No timers, so take your time and find the best words

Beautiful graphics and animation

Relaxing sound effects

Listen to your iPod music while playing

GO FOR A HIGH SCORE!

Score summary shows you how well you did

Compare your scores with the world using Game Center (iOS4/5 devices)

Post your scores to Facebook and Twitter to challenge far away friends

WORD LOVE!

Huge English dictionary included to verify words even while not connected to the internet!
(Word Jewels uses the YAWL word list, which has 264,097 words! Valid words must be 3 letters long and NOT be proper nouns, as is typical for most every word game.)

Automagic letter balancing, to help from getting trapped with a big ol' pile of consonants with no vowels, or with too many duplicates of the same letter in a group!

Magic auto-save - go ahead and quit the game, take a phone call, send a text - when you come back, your game will be waiting for you! Works on both old and new iThings!

54 Game Center Achievements to earn!

Thanks for playing Word Jewels!
Come see us at http://boyhowdytechnology.com

WORD JEWELS is a registered trademark of Boy Howdy Technology LLC.

erich's comments:

Word Jewels™ 2 just went live! It's a relaxing word-find game that starts off pretty easy, but can get pretty tough once you're up in the higher levels.

Word Jewels 2 is the sequel to the original Word Jewels game that has had 300k downloads so far. Trace words and try to use up all the red gems on the board, but you only have a limited number of "moves" for each level.

New in WJ2 - Power Jewels to Shake or Swap, and 5 game modes to try!

100% free, no IAP! Give it a try! :-)

http://boyhowdytechnology.com/wordjewels2/
07-19-2012, 06:18 PM
I was actually a big fan of the first Word Jewels and their poker version.

An improvement on an already good game... and it's free... I'm in.

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5

07-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Game Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickWit View Post
I was actually a big fan of the first Word Jewels and their poker version.

An improvement on an already good game... and it's free... I'm in.
They don't disappoint! All of the modes are clever variations, there are NO IAPs, and the banner ads along the bottom are totally unobtrusive!

The only modes that scared me at first was Endless. From the basic description it sounded like you could just replay any level endlessly but that isn't entirely true. Replaying a level will cost you 10k points, so it really could only be used sparingly at best if you still want a decent score.

I also like their new Power Jewel concept. These are one stop catch-all tools that you earn as you complete levels (1 per level cleared up to a maximum of 3). You then can use one of these jewels to do a number of different things. You can shuffle the board, swap any two letters, or give yourself an additional turn by cashing one of these in. At the same time, completing a level with your Power Jewel stores maxed out and unused will net you a nice end of level bonus.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
07-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Let me know what you think of the different modes. Challenge might be _too_ tough, I think, but then again there are quite some wordsmiths out there that might be up for it. Blitz is my favorite of the new modes, personally :-)
07-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Does the game save high scores locally? While GC is great fun, I'd really like it if I could also see all of my top scores locally since I sometimes am playing out of wi-fi range on my iPod or iPad.

My iTunes Reviews
07-20-2012, 10:35 AM
WJ2 does cache your Game Center scores locally, at least in terms of submitting what you score and sending them when you get network back.

It also does save local high scores such that when a game ends it says "new personal best" if you beat your local high score, but I wasn't able to squeeze in a local high score chart, unfortunately.

It's on my todo list to evaluate adding a way to view your local highest scores (highest per mode) somehow, but the already-crowded menus don't have much space for it at the moment.

Unrelated - I'm waiting on Apple to get back to me on why the GC achievements are hosed up... :-(
07-20-2012, 03:08 PM
So far I like the different modes in the game. I've always liked Word Jewels because it is a great game to pick up, play a few levels and then go back to from time to time. It's a very satisfying word game experience... .and we've mentioned the price.

I really like the Rally Mode and the different ways that you can try to increase your score. I hit 76,200 my first time but noticed some dumb moves I made so I'll see about climbing the leader board a little higher with the next one.

Again, great word game (and check out the poker version)! Best of luck with everything!

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5
07-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erich View Post
WJ2 does cache your Game Center scores locally, at least in terms of submitting what you score and sending them when you get network back.

It also does save local high scores such that when a game ends it says "new personal best" if you beat your local high score, but I wasn't able to squeeze in a local high score chart, unfortunately.

It's on my todo list to evaluate adding a way to view your local highest scores (highest per mode) somehow, but the already-crowded menus don't have much space for it at the moment.

Unrelated - I'm waiting on Apple to get back to me on why the GC achievements are hosed up... :-(
How about just having it quickly float by on a banner up top at game start or something, or if easier, show up only on the end game screen?

My iTunes Reviews
07-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks, QW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
How about just having it quickly float by on a banner up top at game start or something, or if easier, show up only on the end game screen?
End game screen is a possibility... Maybe a "My Best Scores" button that is similar to the Word List button... Adding to the endless "maybe do this" list :-)
08-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Version 1.1 is out today, which adds Game Center Achievements!

Achievements were actually in version 1.0, but Apple somehow dropped them from the app server-side, while the game has silently been accumulating achievements locally just waiting for the Game Center servers to be updated.

A few users are reporting that they are seeing hangs or crashes, and others are seeing tons of achievements all popping up at once. Here on all of our test devices, we don't see any of that badness, just newly earned achievements showing up as expected, so we can't debug this so easily. Arg!

Rebooting your device might help, but we're still looking to see if anyone is stuck in a crash loop which would require an uninstall or some other drastic solution. Thanks for your patience!