★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: BUGGY BLASTER (New Knock-Off Of MOON PATROL)

05-31-2009, 06:59 PM
BUGGY BLASTER (New Knock-Off Of MOON PATROL)

Hmmm, I'd do it, as I was OBSESSED with Moon Blaster back in the day, but $2.99 is a bit steep to TOFTT.

Buggy Blaster

As long as the physics of it are decent I'd be sold. There was a "port" on the store a few months ago and it had AWFUL physics and ruined the game completely.

Anyone interested?

*Also, can we PLEASE stop it with these GD on-black borderless icons?! Lord almighty.

Last edited by korymatthew; 05-31-2009 at 07:03 PM.
05-31-2009, 11:55 PM
Nothin?

06-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Buggy Blaster game physics

Kory,

I wrote Buggy Blaster. I think you'll really enjoy the game physics - they are nothing like what you experienced with the other iPhone game. In my opinion, the Buggy Blaster physics work very well and will feel right to you, as they do to me.

Hopefully you'll find the $2.99 a very good deal. It took 5 months of my time to create it, and was a labor of love. Hopefully you'll decide to give it a chance and see for yourself.

Joel-
06-01-2009, 09:14 PM
the game looks nice and keeps the retro feel

ßeta Tester
**GameCenter**Super Sanch0
06-01-2009, 09:57 PM
I've been playing it, and I can say it's everything Moon Rover (that other attempt at Moon Patrol) tried to be but didn't quite "get it." This is very much like Moon Patrol. It's got some differences here and there, as you'd expect from a clone (to keep IREM's attorneys at bay) but all of the original elements are there: Boulders, craters, mines (those bastardly things I so loathed in the arcade), tanks, proper alphabetic level transitions, and everything else. It's about as close to Moon Patrol as you can get without actually being Moon Patrol. And yes, you do blow up in bits with actual physics going on. (Bouncing tires, your chassis goes flying end-over-end.) It's plenty of fun, and the control scheme works well. (Tilt to speed up or slow down, tap left side to fire, right side to jump, or swap them in the settings if you prefer it that way.)

Joel - I'll get to your E-Mail shortly with a few other observations.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko

Last edited by Mindfield; 06-01-2009 at 09:59 PM.
06-01-2009, 10:01 PM
I agree that it's probably worth more than 2.99, but I think to make money it has to be 0.99. At that price, I bet this could be a top seller if a lite version is released.
06-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipodfan15 View Post
I agree that it's probably worth more than 2.99, but I think to make money it has to be 0.99. At that price, I bet this could be a top seller if a lite version is released.
You can't reasonably make money at $0.99. I think this could do well at $2.99, possibly have a $1.99 sale at some point, and definitely get a free lite version out there. Selling it at a buck might give it a tall first-week spike, but it'll have a pretty short tale. It might seem like a good idea in the short term, but in the long term you're shooting yourself in the foot. $2.99 will generate a much smaller initial spike, but it has the potential for a nice long tail, which is really where you want to be long term.

06-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Mindfield,

Thanks for trying it and giving your feedback. I'm glad you like it so far. I figured that if I can create the game and still enjoy playing it for the sheer fun of it after all this time, then perhaps I had something that others would like, too.

Feel free to send me a PM here if you wanted to, or send me an email directly.

Joel-
06-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel's Penny Arcade View Post
Mindfield,

Thanks for trying it and giving your feedback. I'm glad you like it so far. I figured that if I can create the game and still enjoy playing it for the sheer fun of it after all this time, then perhaps I had something that others would like, too.
Well, the best kind of game to write is a game you yourself enjoy playing -- and really, from a development perspective that's going to make you happiest in the long run. Even if sales don't hit levels you hope, you've done stuff you've wanted to do and you're happy with and proud of your work. That's a pretty cool reward in itself, innit? Plus, those who write apps they themselves enjoy put their best effort into it, and that tends to show in the final product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel's Penny Arcade View Post
Feel free to send me a PM here if you wanted to, or send me an email directly.

Joel-
Heh, just finished my E-Mail to you actually. Good timing.

06-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Well, I like Alien Attack so I'm dl'ing this now.