★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: WordPlay! Online

05-31-2009, 08:08 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
WordPlay! Online

[App Store Link, 0.99]

Quote:
Pass time by yourself or challenge the world with this ONLINE word game!

The rules are just like Boggle®, with a slick interface and loaded with features. Even if you are playing alone if you get a score you like you can challenge a friend from your contact list. They'll get an email with a code to use to play with the same exact letters you played with. After they are done you (optionally) get a text message back with who won!

Unlike other word games, this one actually shows you all of the possible words that were on the board too! And after an Online game you don't just get a screen saying who won - you can see all the words each of the competition found!

Quit playing alone, play against others and compete on the Online Leaderboards with Word Play now!

There's much more to come for this game, make sure to update when they are available - and please keep suggesting features to us. We read each and every email!

Add me on Steam for TF2: eggzbacon
06-13-2009, 09:47 PM
This is a fantastic game. It's really fun playing against other people online.

06-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Looks great.. Finally a way to put all these new words I've learned from other word games to good use
06-13-2009, 10:01 PM
This game was free last week
06-13-2009, 10:38 PM
This looks almost identical to Word Scramble, which is free.

Anyone know of any substantial differences between the two? At a glance, I only see that Scramble offers pass-and-play multiplayer, this game offers a challenge mode, and the price difference.

Any more input would be appreciated, as I'm a sucker for word games.
06-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhgii View Post
This looks almost identical to Word Scramble, which is free.

Anyone know of any substantial differences between the two? At a glance, I only see that Scramble offers pass-and-play multiplayer, this game offers a challenge mode, and the price difference.

Any more input would be appreciated, as I'm a sucker for word games.
I have never played Word Scramble so I can't give you a fair comparison between the two. However, Word Play Online is a very fun game. What makes it a fun game is the fact that you get to play against four other people via WIFI/3G/Edge online.

The concept is simple, you need to make up as much words as possible within a grid of 16 letter blocks in a 3 minute time frame against other opponents.
06-14-2009, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4ever View Post
I have never played Word Scramble so I can't give you a fair comparison between the two. However, Word Play Online is a very fun game. What makes it a fun game is the fact that you get to play against four other people via WIFI/3G/Edge online.

The concept is simple, you need to make up as much words as possible within a grid of 16 letter blocks in a 3 minute time frame against other opponents.
Well, Word Scramble is roughly the same, except you can play against many more than 4 people at once over any connection, and on a 4x4 or 5x5 grid over a 2 or 3 minute time frame, with options to play solo as well. They honestly appear to be roughly the same, with the free game having more features, including Facebook connectivity.

I'm just not sure if I have it in me to spend a dollar for less features. And no, I'm not the developer of Word Scramble (Zynga is) or a fanboy, but I do own it, and am just unsure if WordPlay Online is worth my time, as it appears to offer less while charging more.

Edit: Apparently I forgot to update Word Scramble, and it DOES now offer a challenge mode as well.

Last edited by Uhgii; 06-14-2009 at 03:30 AM.
06-14-2009, 07:10 AM
There are three very similar games of this type: word play online, scramble and shake and spell.

Word play online is very smooth and quick. The biggest difference for this one is it penalizes you three seconds for a mispelled word. Not a huge player base so you often wait to play games, but its not terriably long. The scoring is also different as it only counts unique words. If you remember the old Tangle or Jumbalaya sites this is closest to that.

Scramble is very fast and smooth. Lots of players. Scramble also connects with facebook for friends and challenges. When inputting words you can drag your finger along the letters.

Shake and spell is the slowest of the three. You can drag your finger as well in this one, and it scores like scramble. This is unique in that you actually only play head to head. You can have buddies which also is connected with facebook. This head to head play is more of a "push" gameplay. Which makes this one feel much slower, although still a great game.

All three are great, and worth the paid versions if you like word games. Each unique enough to have all three on your machine at once.