Support our Sponsors:

Old 07-24-2012, 08:24 AM

Default Setting a standard what is considered good strategy

It is great to see this community pulling together to help each other out with this challenging game.

To this end, I want to propose that we set a STANDARD to what is considered good strategy. This is inspired by a statement previously made by the game's creator that the game is supposed to be BEATABLE on casual level WITHOUT use of any special items, airstrike, and specialty towers.

Here is my proposal what is "IDEAL" or "GOOD" strategy:

For casual, tough, heroic:
1. No loss of any lives.
2. No use of ANY special items.
3. No airstrike.
4. No hack (obviously).
5. No backtracking by playing a level (including endless mode) multiple times to earn more stars to open up towers. In other words, each level is played once and once only.
6. No selling/replanting towers (known as pingponging) *NEW* (27/6/2012)

For casual, in addition:
1. Use only standard towers that are gained by playing all previous levels at casual level only.

For tough, in addition.
1. Use only standard towers that are gained by playing all previous levels at tough level only.

For heroic, in addition.
1. Use only standard towers that are gained by playing all previous levels at heroic level only.

I think, by following these proposed standards, we can filter out many of the less optimal strategies and focus on only the good strategies that we can then all share.

What do you think?

PS: An example, I have already figured out such strategies that obey the above rules for casual for these levels: Meanwhile... (tutorial), Twist of Fate, Clonehenge, Broken Branch, Home of Derange, Tangled Turnpike, Dry Run, Bizarre Bazaar (yes, this one too), Dryer Straits.

Last edited by y2kmp3; 07-28-2012 at 08:55 AM..
Old 07-24-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kmp3 View Post
explosive,

I, too, have found wave 31 for Curious Gorge to be impossible to win without special item or airstrike. In fact, I think there is a bug in the hit points of the enemies in this wave. Compared to the previous waves and the same enemy types, the hit points was dramatically higher and completely outgun any tower you can have.

So far, I am beginning to think that this level is unwinnable using ONLY the default available towers (that is, no special high-power towers that you get by backtracking to play harder levels first to open up these extra weapons). I seem to recall that the developer has mentioned that the level is beatable with only basic weapon types.

Is this a bug?
Hey there! Just talked to the designers and they did notice that there was a huge difficulty spike on wave 31, so that's a bug. We're adjusting it now and it'll be fixed for the next update. Sorry for the inconvenience! We really appreciate you letting us know about this issue.

Let me know if you guys find any other problems! Thanks!
Old 07-24-2012, 12:23 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 4.x

The heroic timed run called scrambled eggs had an added 0 to the amount of units needed to be killed. 3000 in 5 minutes is kinda...
Old 07-24-2012, 02:03 PM

Thank you, AtomicAlec!

It is such a pleasure to have a responsive developer who listens to the community and is not afraid to admit mistakes (and willing to correct them). This is very admirable. Congrats on a great game release!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicAlec View Post
Hey there! Just talked to the designers and they did notice that there was a huge difficulty spike on wave 31, so that's a bug. We're adjusting it now and it'll be fixed for the next update. Sorry for the inconvenience! We really appreciate you letting us know about this issue.

Let me know if you guys find any other problems! Thanks!
Old 07-24-2012, 02:31 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Bizarre Bazaar and Dryer Straights (Casual) No Lives lost and airstrike unneeded.

Edit: Moved these screens to original post, and yes no items!

Last edited by explosive; 07-28-2012 at 05:20 AM..
Old 07-24-2012, 08:50 PM

Nicely done! I presume no items right (can't tell because the icon for special items disappears when they are all used up)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by explosive View Post
Bizarre Bazaar and Dryer Straights (Casual) No Lives lost and airstrike unneeded.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:27 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kmp3 View Post
It is great to see this community pulling together to help each other out with this challenging game.

To this end, I want to propose that we set a STANDARD to what is considered good strategy. This is inspired by a statement previously made by the game's creator that the game is supposed to be BEATABLE on casual level WITHOUT use of any special items, airstrike, and specialty towers.

Here is my proposal what is "IDEAL" or "GOOD" strategy:

For casual, tough, heroic:
1. No loss of any lives.
2. No use of ANY special items.
3. No airstrike.
4. No hack (obviously).
5. No backtracking by playing a level (including endless mode) multiple times to earn more stars to open up towers. In other words, each level is played once and once only.

For casual, in addition:
1. Use only standard towers that are gained by playing all previous levels at casual level only.

For tough, in addition.
1. Use only standard towers that are gained by playing all previous levels at tough level only.

For heroic, in addition.
1. Use only standard towers that are gained by playing all previous levels at heroic level only.

I think, by following these proposed standards, we can filter out many of the less optimal strategies and focus on only the good strategies that we can then all share.

What do you think?

PS: An example, I have already figured out such strategies that obey the above rules for casual for these levels: Meanwhile... (tutorial), Twist of Fate, Clonehenge, Broken Branch, Home of Derange, Tangled Turnpike, Dry Run, Bizarre Bazaar (yes, this one too), Dryer Straits.
Would you mind sharing some of these strategies? I, for one, and extremely stuck on getting through Broken Branch with little to no casualties, and I'm just playing on Tough. No shock or ice yet...
Old 07-26-2012, 06:01 AM

Finally did that pain in the ass mean streets!, also I encountered the panzer and tiger on frying pan/ring of fire.

See original post for the mean streets screens.

Last edited by explosive; 08-10-2012 at 11:12 AM..
Old 07-26-2012, 10:15 AM

Explosive,

Have you found a way to solve Frying Pan using the pop-up tip to "split" the troop in half and send them to fire? I have tried many variation to force a split, but none works.

What does the tip mean anyway?

Both your solution and my solution are still essentially single path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explosive View Post
New screens including that pain in the ass mean street!, also I encountered the panzer and tiger on frying pan/ring of fire.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:52 AM

I think by split it's talking about the start and exit point in the center, so you would have towers separating them so they go bottom left and through the fire although it's better this way because they get destroyed by pyro/spark.