★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Skyriders (by the programmer of Little Acorns)

07-24-2012, 05:08 AM
Skyriders (by the programmer of Little Acorns)

UPDATED 02 Oct 2012! - New video, new screenshots, it's almost here!

This is the 2nd iOS project from me, the programmer behind Little Acorns:

Inspired by classic games of the past, such as Trailblazer, Sky Roads, and STUN Runner, Skyriders is a high-speed mix of platforming and racing!

Navigate progressively trickier tracks, whilst trying to maintain your boost streak for big scores - which requires careful flipping between yellow and red, to grab the matching colour stars!

On iOS and Android, the game can be controlled by a choice of either tilt steering, or two on-screen button layouts. Also supports the iCade Mobile controller.

The game features 40 stages over 5 varied zones. The last stage of each zone is an extra-long 'Challenge Stage' - where you must try and get through the entire zone - joined up into one long stage - in one go - giving an opportunity for massive scores for skilled players!

Game Center achievments and leaderboards are included on iOS (Swarm achievements/leaderboards on Android)

The game runs at a super-smooth 60fps on newer devices, with antialiasing too on iPad2/iPhone4S and above.

It's also got a Greenlight page, as I'm considering a PC release too: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=92916662

Estimated release date: Sept 2012
Universal App, requires iPhone 3GS or above (iPhone 4+ or iPad 2+ recommended)
Android release requires Android 2.3+

Code/Art/Design: Dave Reed (@bluescrn, www.inverseblue.com)
Music: Dustin Kulwicki (@kwix29, www.kwixmusic.com)

And some screenshots:

Last edited by bluescrn; 10-02-2012 at 02:36 PM.
07-24-2012, 06:03 AM
This looks great ! Was just about to mention Trailblazer when i saw you already did.

Thankyou for adding alternative controls , keeps me totally happy ! Really looking forward to this (And by the way Little Acorns is brilliant)

Roll on September !

07-24-2012, 05:16 PM

Currently learning iMaschine and Garage Band.
08-07-2012, 10:46 AM
After a short delay trying to get the Android build into a decent state, the game is making decent progress again, the priorities now are building more levels, retexturing Zone 2-5, and adding a few more obstacles...

Here's a work-in-progress shot from Zone 2: Emerald Nebula

(Full size: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19400176/Sk...raldNebula.png)

It's also gained some basic support for the iCade Mobile.
08-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Just watched the vid but it looks kinda slow
08-07-2012, 02:02 PM
I loved Little Acorns, great job on that. I'm also really liking what I'm seeing here. I appreciate the different approaches between the two. I will be keeping an eye out for this one.
08-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack111 View Post
Just watched the vid but it looks kinda slow
It should feel a bit faster when it's finished. The player is actually moving fairly fast - but as the camera is quite high, and the field-of-view is fairly low in that video, there's not much sensation of speed. It's on my list of things to tweak, hopefully it'll look a bit better in the next video...

It doesn't help that YouTube can't do 60fps videos, though!

And of course, the levels will get quite a bit harder
08-11-2012, 10:02 AM
(Removed old video)

Last edited by bluescrn; 10-02-2012 at 02:25 PM.
10-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Big update - Added the trailer video and new screenshots to the first post! (Please ignore the other screenshots/video, they're rather outdated now)

The game is finished, but could still be a few weeks from release. I'm waiting for Marmalade to update their SDK to support iOS6/iPhone5, so I can't support 1136x640 yet. And once that's updated, it's still got to go through Apple submission.

Undecided about whether to wait, or to release a v1.0 without that support.
10-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescrn View Post
Big update - Added the trailer video and new screenshots to the first post! (Please ignore the other screenshots/video, they're rather outdated now)

The game is finished, but could still be a few weeks from release. I'm waiting for Marmalade to update their SDK to support iOS6/iPhone5, so I can't support 1136x640 yet. And once that's updated, it's still got to go through Apple submission.

Undecided about whether to wait, or to release a v1.0 without that support.
You can release it and write on the app description that iPhone 5 support is coming soon.
The latest video really rocks!