Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-27-2012, 01:55 AM

Everything except the IAP is vastly superior than Battle heart, that game is so extremely overrated, it's old, it's short, it's repetetive to hell.

This game got fresh ideas, is longer, more fleshed out, got some interesting twists and many more things.

Just get over it, battle heart was the first of its kind, but living on old merits is just pathetic.

Just because battle heart was firstdoesnt make it the best of its kind.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibliribland View Post
Everything except the IAP is vastly superior than Battle heart, that game is so extremely overrated, it's old, it's short, it's repetetive to hell.

This game got fresh ideas, is longer, more fleshed out, got some interesting twists and many more things.

Just get over it, battle heart was the first of its kind, but living on old merits is just pathetic.

Just because battle heart was firstdoesnt make it the best of its kind.
I do like this game, but i'm sorry. BattleHeart is still the king. The animation alone is better. This game will hold me over til Battleheart 2 comes out.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:40 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

After taking a look to see just how epic these raiders are, I have several divergent impressions, the paradoxical sensation of a slight hint of vomit and bile rising in my throat mixed with wonder at the inventive mind of greedy man, and another 254 MBs free on my device.

The addition of PvP is not insignificant. Like I argued a page back, the cries of "play Battleheart instead" and "just another clone with no unique characteristics whatsoever" seem to ignore the fact that Epic Raiders actually offers a feature that was often requested but never implemented in Battleheart, and one that promises to truly extend the lifespan of the game for dedicated fans of the genre, those who quickly exhausts all single player content. I remember myself thinking that a Battleheart with an online mode might just be one of the most casually entertaining multiplayer experiences for the platform (not to mention a framework for a very unique, mobile party-MMO...). Seems to me that Epic Raiders, regardless of its actual clone-ness and IAP abuse, might have hit a very sweet spot, one that actually offers something NEW to Battleheart fans...

There are also a few improvements of the Battleheart formula. The character and party selection controls are just much smarter (though I must admit that in their convenience, they do take away something from the frantic and slightly obssessive-compulsive party-micromanaging). I hope Mika blatantly rips that idea off in return for a potential sequel

But then there's the sluggish menus, the lack of character in both writing and graphical style, the focus on grinding, and the shameless IAP shamelessness (as many might expect from a Gamevil title, anything can be bought for your real-world weekly allowance, from items and characters to progression. For someone who enjoyes the basics mechanics of the game, can look past the inclusion of IAP (or the very existence of the concept) and is fine with either grinding a long time to earn enough IAP currency for the IAP-only items, or is satisfied with the freemium items, this is not really a problem. I usually belong to that group, as long as the game in question has enough merits in freemium mode. Epic Raiders, however... see next paragraph).

But really, not even the IAP festival can compare to the sheer silliness of the skill upgrade mechanics. In this, Gamevil have come up with a system that might aggravate fremium player and IAPayers alike. Basically, any character development costs gold (in-game currency), but also has a chance to fail. When it does, not only do you not improve the intended skill, but might actually loose a rank in the skill. With IAP, you can protect yourself from this skill loss risk, but you still loose the gold invested in the first place, with no skill improvement to show for it.

As a result, freemium players have no other choice but to hope for better times and skills, and suffer the loss of time invested when a skill upgrade fails, especially when it fails badly enough to set the skill back a rank. Annoying as fudge, but with a c and a k at the end instead.

In-app purchasers receive an even shorter end of the stick and the shtick, in some ways. They might be protected from skill loss, but the money they lose (both from the gold invested in the upgrade, and from obtaining skill protection scrolls to prevent skill loss upon upgrade failure) might actually be real-world assets. With real-world consequences. That's not just greedy and calculating, Gamevil. That's PERVERTED. And not in the sexy way.

But this does give Epic Raiders a possibly unique place in the gaming hall of fame: a game that punishes the player for character progression on a random basis, with nothing the player can do to influence her chances but to prevent some of the loss.

Uniqueness counts for something, right?

Nah.

Last edited by Ayjona; 07-27-2012 at 10:48 PM..
Old 07-28-2012, 09:28 AM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
Uniqueness counts for something, right?

Nah.
Spot on. This lasted about half a day on my device and was deleted for most of the same reasons. There were some decent interface additions and actual gameplay was largely on par with the "inspiration", but none of it was enough to offset the myriad flaws. After sinking a fair chunk of time into it all I could think was, "if I really wanted to be playing 'this' game, I should just be playing Battleheart", because when I add up the positives and negatives of each, BH is soooo far ahead on the total sheet I couldn't justify the time or space this game took up.

As far BH clones go, undoubtedly the best I've seen, and with a little more polish and a little less greed would have even been worth playing to see a new iteration on the theme, but as it was delivered?

Nah
Old 07-28-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
After taking a look to see just how epic these raiders are, I have several divergent impressions, the paradoxical sensation of a slight hint of vomit and bile rising in my throat mixed with wonder at the inventive mind of greedy man, and another 254 MBs free on my device.
I'm glad you finally saw the epic absurdity that I was posting about.
I hoped your very detailed review would help those lured by the promise of multiplayer to avoid some very serious grief.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:52 PM

Epic Raiders Free STAR Event

To further enhance the epicness of your weekend,
LIKE, SHARE, and COMMENT on the poster with your CAPITALIZED CS code to reive FREE 100 Stars!

Your CS code can be found by tapping the ABOUT button in the SLOT SELECTION page.

Stars will be sent after the event ends, retrieve them via MAIL button on the Main Menu!

The event ends on 12/12, Wednesday PST. The rewards will be given then.

GAMEVIL

Download it for Free Here:
[iOS] http://bit.ly/epicios

Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 PM

- REPLY on this thread with your CS code to reive FREE 100 Stars!
- Your CS code can be found by tapping the ABOUT button in the SLOT SELECTION page.
- iOS users, please CAPITALIZE your CS code to receive the stars.

! The event ends on 1/10 (Thu) PST. The Stars will be given then.
! Stars will be sent after the event ends, retrieve them via MAIL button on the Main Menu!

GAMEVIL

Old 01-04-2013, 01:38 PM
iPhone 5

Cs Code: A5D2C712-DC10-49AE-91F2-379E67146AB4
Old 01-06-2013, 01:46 PM

CS Code: 8AB388A2-0C36-4241-8A1C-62CE42B52C25
Old 02-18-2013, 12:37 PM

Combine 8 unique classes to craft the perfect raid unit! Think you can handle it?

REPLY on this thread with your CS code to receive FREE 100 Stars!

Your CS code can be found by tapping the ABOUT button in the SLOT SELECTION page.
iOS users, please CAPITALIZE your CS code to receive the stars.

Stars will be sent after the event ends, retrieve them via MAIL button on the Main Menu!

The event ends on 2/21, Thursday PST. The rewards will be given then.

GAMEVIL

[Android] http://bit.ly/EpicRandroid