• Publisher: GlobZ
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 22.5 MB
  • Version: 1.3.0
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating: 4 (1)
App description: Lamp and Vamp is a roguelike game where you play as a Vampire seeking the castle of his dreams.

Your Vampire is alone against the world! You will need to master the dark arts to find your way to the tomb in each level, where you will
acquire new powers. Choose them wisely: there are many paths to success, but the slightest mistake can be fatal!

Winner of "Best Game" and "Best Art" at http://proceduraldeathjam.com/ in March 2014.

Tom Christiansen, http://www.gamezebo.com/2014/03/29/browser-pick-lamp-and-vamp/
"Lamp and Vamp is an enjoyable strategy game where players must navigate a vampire to his coffin through a randomly generated neighborhood, while avoiding the local neighborhood watch, determined to catch them. Movement is based on a tile system, each turn the player can move to any adjacent tile, and the vampire hunters also move one tile. The catch is that the vampire hunters have torches and flashlights, and can see ahead. If the vampire is caught in the hunter's line-of-sight, all the hunters in the neighborhood will converge and attempt to corner the vampire, resulting in death."

Adam Smith http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/27/lamp-and-vamp-is-the-best-free-game/
"It's a puzzle game in which you play a vampire who is trying to return to his coffin. Pesky townspeople and priests block the way but using your powers (BAT-FORM, MIST-FORM, BLOODSUCKING), you can navigate the streets and find your way home. It's absolutely splendid."

And Thomas Schulenberg in http://www.joystiq.com/2014/03/30/lamp-and-vamp-vants-you-to-suck-blood-but-with-strategy/
"If there's one thing that Lamp and Vamp has taught us, it's that being a vampire is tough." ^-^
01-28-2015, 05:43 AM
Not sure why this wasn't showing in the Appstore but I'm so grateful the developer just PM'd me this game - I'm an absolute sucker (pun intended) for roguelikes so this is straight up there on my must buy list for tonight!

If the other expected games arrive on time then this should be a great day!

https://pixelatedparadise.wordpress.com/ - Daily iOS Roundups and Multi-Platform Reviews.
Please note that I am not a moderator; I can't change thread titles, delete threads etc. I'm happy to help where I can but it's likely faster to contact a mod for assistance.

01-28-2015, 05:51 AM
Is it a stealthy game?
01-28-2015, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipipitchu View Post
Is it a stealthy game?
It does seem to be a stealthy/strategic roguelike, which is right up my alley. I'm just downloading now so I'll get some impressions up soon!

https://pixelatedparadise.wordpress.com/ - Daily iOS Roundups and Multi-Platform Reviews.
Please note that I am not a moderator; I can't change thread titles, delete threads etc. I'm happy to help where I can but it's likely faster to contact a mod for assistance.
01-28-2015, 05:55 AM
Oh, now this looks cool! This is the developer that did Mucho Party.
01-28-2015, 05:58 AM
Looks more rogue-lite than rogue-like, but could be interesting.

Obsessions: FTL | Sword of the Stars: The Pit (Gold Edition)
GC: onlyphoenix
01-28-2015, 06:17 AM
Well, it's early into it so there's always potential for change but this is pretty impressive so far.

It's essentially Hoplite: The Adventure; from the hex-based board to the subtlety of planning out every move else you suffer for your impatience. I mean this in the nicest way possible of course, Hoplite being one of my favourite iOS games of all time.

You're, as the description covers, a vampire aiming to reach his newly purchased mansion by crossing through a town (there may be other environments later) populated with paranoid and armed villagers. It's turn-based, so every step you take ends with the enemies moving in a pre-determined pattern. You can see a marker on each sprite warning which direction they'll move and therefore where their field of vision will cover as well. It's very slow and methodical, much more strategic than the cutesy visuals would have you think.

You have two special moves in your repertoire, much like Hoplite again. Bat form lets you hop over obstacles one space in front of you at a small health cost. Mist form makes you invisible and lets you pass through and onto any object but costs a large amount of health every turn. It's brilliantly balanced with desperate judgement calls determining all success. The slow nature of the gameplay is hugely tense, keeping an eye on five or six foes and planning your own movements is tough but rewarding.

Clearing a level by reaching your coffin provides a choice of perks, again like Hoplite (see where I'm going with this?). Each one is tempting so I can see scope for replay and the personal touch that would add to each player's game is appreciated. It's also pretty damn tough; if you're spotted then you'll be lucky to survive which suits the careful planning well but sometimes feels a little punishing given that in can be impossible to avoid without using your skills. When an enemy reaches an obstacle, it's impossible (AFAIK) to judge which way they'll look that turn which is a little too random for a game that calls for meticulous planning but it's a small complaint. It's a highscore runner in the same way Hoplite was, with death being permanent but it feels more structured.

The main thing differentiating it from Hoplite for me is that you feel pretty defenseless which works well for the stealth-spin. You can attack enemies that are adjacent and haven't spotted you yet but it merely stuns them. A second bump will drain them of their life and remove them from play but that takes two turns and in the meantime, all the other enemies will have moved twice. It's a valuable action, but you have to consider whether it's justified.

Overall, it's another easy recommend, especially for the price. I don't know if it will unseat Hoplite any time soon but I greatly appreciate the formula being expanded into something with a lot more meat on its bones.

Last edited by PeteOzzy; 01-28-2015 at 06:25 AM.
01-28-2015, 07:13 AM
For sure will check this one out
01-28-2015, 07:16 AM
Just discovered this game and it is in the US App Store now for only 1.99
and looks very good. Picking this one up today for sure, glad I found it. Replay value
is a big plus with this title since it's randomly generated.
01-28-2015, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
Not sure why this wasn't showing in the Appstore but I'm so grateful the developer just PM'd me this game - I'm an absolute sucker (pun intended) for roguelikes so this is straight up there on my must buy list for tonight!

If the other expected games arrive on time then this should be a great day!
It looks to be a big day! Fingers crossed we get a few unexpected good ones!