★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: 3-D Vector Ball now has Curve.

06-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
3-D Vector Ball now has Curve.

Okay, so the 3.1 update for 3-D Vector Ball is out now. Looks like the primary new feature is *curve*. Well, it was certainly the feature that had some people leaning towards 3D Spinball.

Personally, I liked it just the way it was. Nice to have the option though. (Yes, it is an option. You can turn it off.) Not available in online games yet, but it's there.

Thoughts?
06-01-2009, 12:17 PM
This is pretty cool. I can make the shots almost every time now. I'm glad there's a toggle for this option, makes game too easy. Smart developer.

Little story: I play this game here and there at work. A new co-worker of mine saw me play this game with accelerometer controls about a week ago. He comes back the next day with his own iDevice with the game already on it and the score board already filled up. - So this guy goes out to buy an iPod Touch because of this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimo View Post
This is not Windows, this is Apple, dude

06-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Yeah, if you get a good enough spin, it can become easier. Doesn't seem to be possible to get much spin on the serve though, like could be done in the original flash game Curveball. (This is a good thing.) ..Those balls that come back at your with some curve to them can be hard to predict though. So I'm not finding it too easy yet.

Games like this really are selling the device. This is one of the few early games I still play. It's very very polished now. When we got an iPod Touch for my brother this was one of the first games on it. His only complaint now is that the batteries don't last long enough.
06-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Yeah um..... how do you curve the ball?

I'M ON A MAC MOTHAF*@%!

Cloudcell, Plus+, Baseball Slugger, TTR: dannys95
06-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Curve is achieved when you hit the ball while moving your paddle. It's not hard at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimo View Post
This is not Windows, this is Apple, dude
06-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f e a r l e s s View Post
Curve is achieved when you hit the ball while moving your paddle. It's not hard at all.
Then WTF is the update for? I've been doing that since before this update.

I'M ON A MAC MOTHAF*@%!

Cloudcell, Plus+, Baseball Slugger, TTR: dannys95
06-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Hehe.. This is the fun of curving. Timing is key - especially if you're trying to curve the ball a lot. Basically, you have to sweep the bat across the path of the ball as you hit it. If the bat is moving fast, you can get quite a bit of curve.

With the flash game Curveball it was dead easy because you could keep the bat in front of the ball and just make tiny circles with the mouse as fast as you could, so the bat would be moving without much chance of missing. The iPhone isn't so responsive, so you really have to sweep the bat over the ball, much like you would in tennis.

Once you get the timing down, it's not so hard. Getting a real good curve on it is quite rewarding. (Will be fun to see how this affects games if/when spin makes it into wi-fi games.)
06-01-2009, 08:22 PM
just bought it this was the reason i waited just for the curve

ssɐ sıɥ dn ɯǝɥʇ ǝʌoɥs puɐ sƃuıɹ dıɥsuoıdɯɐɥɔ sǝıɹǝs plɹoʍ ㄥᄅ sǝǝʞuɐʎ ǝɥʇ ǝʞɐʇ uɐɔ ıpɹɐɹıƃ ǝoɾ
06-01-2009, 08:26 PM
the only thing that i got annoyed by was the fact that the screen follows the paddle, so i dont know where the boundaries are IF THE DEV IS HERE PLEASE ALLOW THIS TO BE AN OPTION TO TURN ON OR OFF

ssɐ sıɥ dn ɯǝɥʇ ǝʌoɥs puɐ sƃuıɹ dıɥsuoıdɯɐɥɔ sǝıɹǝs plɹoʍ ㄥᄅ sǝǝʞuɐʎ ǝɥʇ ǝʞɐʇ uɐɔ ıpɹɐɹıƃ ǝoɾ
06-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannys95 View Post
Then WTF is the update for? I've been doing that since before this update.
Because, before this update, you were wasting your time: where the ball hit, the centeredness of the bat affected the angle, but there wasn't any spin. The ball would still fly in a straight line. Now it will actually curve through the air.

Give it a try. You should see the results. ..then turn off enhanced mode. You can then see how all that movement was just helping you miss the ball.