★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Huge difference between paid/free reviews..

06-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Huge difference between paid/free reviews..

Anyone else notice that the free reviews are a lot worse than the paid ones? I'm not really sure what to do with this.

With my paid app ($1), I have a single 1-star rating. The rest are 4's or 5's. With the free version, I have like 7 1-star reviews. It's almost at the point where I feel like it's hurting more than it's helping. The fact that I can't respond to the reviews also really sucks. The one guy said that the app crashed, but I don't see any crash logs so I can't follow up.
06-01-2009, 02:32 PM
yes it is the way it is

Yes seen it with two different applications make it free and you get smoked with 1 star reviews. I have implemented a rather simple policy to fix that issue, I will not release a application for free any longer. Free and no sales is exactly the same out come zero dollars.

06-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Send a message via ICQ to conrem Send a message via MSN to conrem Send a message via Yahoo to conrem Send a message via Skype™ to conrem
are you sure CODEPUNK?)
06-01-2009, 02:55 PM
yep, that is right. People are expecting too much for free. They should just be pleased that they have an iPhone/iPod Touch and have an app store full of cheap under-priced quality games.

And what really gets on my tits is when people give lite versions bad reviews purely due to the lack of content. Well what else do they expect? A lite version is a free demo with limited content, so why do they moan that there isn't enough gameplay in there? When I review a game, I review it purely on the gameplay and quality of the game, not the content (if it is free).

Hakuna Matata
06-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Send a message via ICQ to conrem Send a message via MSN to conrem Send a message via Yahoo to conrem Send a message via Skype™ to conrem
LGB - totally agree.
But in fact, lite versions is not good to make now if you are a developer.. imho.
06-01-2009, 03:01 PM
I really just wish there was some way to follow up. The review makes my app look like crap when I feel that it's a pretty decent app. It's no million dollar app, but that's why I only charge $1 for it.

This is my first free/lite release. I'll continue to do it in the future since I like getting my name out there. I just wish that people would be reasonable about things.
06-01-2009, 03:04 PM
It's a sad phenomenon, really.

It's because people will download something for free (most of the time, simply because it's free -- not because they want to actually test the product), play it for 10 seconds, decide it "sucks", delete it off their devices, and when prompted, give a 1-star rating.

Because happy customers aren't as likely to delete the games (at least not right away), they do not get prompted to rate them. Instead, they have to go, of their own will, to the App Store to write a review. And even as happy as I am about some games, I haven't bothered to go and write reviews. I download lots of games. I don't always think to review every single one of them.

It's such a pain in the ass to see good games go on sale for "free" and watch their average rating plummet. A while back, I saw someone post on here that he downloaded a free utility app (a leveler or something), but he didn't have a use for it, so he rated it 1 star. Like, WTF. Sorry, developers, but these are the types of people you are dealing with here.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
And what really gets on my tits is when people give lite versions bad reviews purely due to the lack of content.
Ugh, and this! What about the reviews for LITE versions that are like, "Good, but needs more levels". UUUGGHH. Retarded.

Last edited by HJJ; 06-01-2009 at 03:06 PM.
06-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Yeah but that's because people delete apps so quickly when they are free and apple kindly prompts a user-review pop-up rating system which everyone who is deleting the app in the first place didn't like it So it's doomed for 1-star reviews.

Check out this picture from the number one free app in the store a little while ago:

Attachment 4314

That's crazy....and it's ALL because of apple's dumb rating system when people delete apps

Twitter: @Zincous

Last edited by Zincous; 09-07-2010 at 10:11 PM.
06-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincous View Post
Yeah but that's because people delete apps so quickly when they are free and apple kindly prompts a user-review pop-up rating system which everyone who is deleting the app in the first place didn't like it So it's doomed for 1-star reviews.

Check out this picture from the number one free app in the store a little while ago:

Attachment 4314

That's crazy....and it's ALL because of apple dumb rating system when people delete apps
They really just need to get rid of this "feature". Let people who dislike apps go to the App Store and write a review as to WHY they dislike them. Believe me, when people have something to complain about, they'll find a way. But at least, you'll have A LOT LESS undeserved 1-star reviews added into the average.
06-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincous View Post

Attachment 4314

That's crazy....and it's ALL because of apple's dumb rating system when people delete apps
Wow.. I didn't realize it was that bad.