★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Flathead Games
  • Genre: Word
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 19.2 MB
  • Version: 1.2
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Huge new update is here adding a ton of requested features! Keep sending feedback and I'll keep updating the game. Thanks for the support!

Words in Bed is an addictive new word game which offers many ways to play, both online and offline. With some modes offering a breakneck pace while others are completely relaxed.

Action Modes:
* Infinite mode: Make the longest words you can find before the board fills up
* Two minute challenge: Make long words to extend your time
* Word search mode: Find the letters on the board as quickly as possible
* Kids word search mode: uses a subset of easy words for kids to find and removes time limit

Relaxed Modes:
* Countdown mode: More letters and obstacles appear with every word you make
* Puzzle mode: Over 40 hand-crafted puzzles to solve

Online Modes:
* Daily challenge: A new puzzle every day
* 5 minute challenge: Take on the world with a new puzzle every 5 minutes

Features:
* Lots of ways to play
* Kid friendly mode
* Game Center leaderboards for all modes
* Over 40 Game Center achievements to be earned
* Cross-platform gameplay and leaderboards. Compete against your friends on other devices
* Customizable colors
07-28-2012, 09:34 AM
So far I've just had time to play this in original mode. This plays like a combination of drop-match-3 and word finder, but needs some tweaks to be really compelling to play. I like the fact that I have a bit of time to search for really good, long words, but the time given seems to be too long. I never had a danger of the screen filling up. Perhaps I'm just too good at finding words, but I doubt it. Unless the falling balls speed up at later levels, then the overall speed of falling should be sped up a bit to make it more challenging. I did not find it "fast paced".

Also, the levels seem to take forever to progress. I suspect word size has something to do with it? Make longer words, get more credit?

I'm looking forward to trying words search mode and puzzle mode. Those actually have more appeal to me. I'll report back after I do.
07-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Excellent feedback, thanks!

The game speeds up a lot after a while, but it starts quite slowly. The few people I playtested against weren't the strongest at making words quickly, so I decided to make it ramp up a bit slower than I originally had wanted. I've made the levels pass a bit quicker in the upcoming version(every 75 letters instead of every 100), but it's still a fairly slow ramp. To compensate, once you reach a level, you can start from that level in the future... and in the upcoming patch the game saves properly, so you can continue from where you left off.
08-10-2012, 05:42 AM
Apple just approved the update for the game. It includes a bunch of new stuff including 2 new game modes, gamecenter support and improved music, sound effects and visuals. If you decide to try it, let me know what you think.