★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What are your "game deleted" pet peeves?

07-28-2012, 03:13 PM
What are your "game deleted" pet peeves?

For me, it's using notifications as advertising. Nothing pisses me off more than a lock screen full of "buy my new game" or "you haven't played me for 7 days, come back and buy my IAP" type messages. This is doubly true for games that, for whatever reason, don't honor the Notification Center iOS settings. I'll take a game off my device immediately for that.

I know we have some prominent members that won't buy any games with consumable IAP. There must be other lines in the sand.

What are yours?

I play lots of games, especially async ones. You can add me on GC: geoelectric
07-28-2012, 03:27 PM
I use an iPod Touch 4G with only 8GB and I have 1.9gb always occupied due to MC3. So yes. File sizes make me remove games. Too big files of course. I try to finish it or at least get stuck, then I use appbackup from cydia(I never use iTunes on pc)to backup the applications data and I'll go back to it later. If I remember.

07-28-2012, 03:39 PM
If a game doesn't respect the mute slider on the side of my phone.

It's a shame really, since I deleted some games I would've otherwise enjoyed, but it's an automatic delete and blacklist in my book.

Also notifications popping up even if the app asked me and I said "no."

Need professional proofreading, editing or writing that won't break your budget?
Contact me at youarelowonhealth.com or via PM.
07-28-2012, 04:03 PM
  • Game shoots an ad at me before I can even start playing
  • Game somehow bypasses notifications, even after I selected not to allow
  • If a game passes itself off as free but is really a demo with the full game locked as IAP (games such as Ghost Trick notwithstanding)
  • Arbitrary difficulty designed to force "optional" IAP
  • Any game that has IAP that costs more than a premium Square Enix game (i.e. $99 IAP that basically insults the intelligence of its audience)

As you can see, I have a few pet peeves when it comes to apps, and there are other reasons I've deleted games within the first few seconds of starting them up. I'm not generally a douche, but I have standards, even when I'm down and out. I'm stubborn like that.
07-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoelectric View Post
For me, it's using notifications as advertising. Nothing pisses me off more than a lock screen full of "buy my new game" or "you haven't played me for 7 days, come back and buy my IAP" type messages. This is doubly true for games that, for whatever reason, don't honor the Notification Center iOS settings. I'll take a game off my device immediately for that.

I know we have some prominent members that won't buy any games with consumable IAP. There must be other lines in the sand.

What are yours?
You do know you can turn off notifications like this, right?
07-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLavi View Post
I use an iPod Touch 4G with only 8GB and I have 1.9gb always occupied due to MC3. So yes. File sizes make me remove games. Too big files of course. I try to finish it or at least get stuck, then I use appbackup from cydia(I never use iTunes on pc)to backup the applications data and I'll go back to it later. If I remember.
Forgive my ignorance but which app/game is MC3? Thanks ✌
07-28-2012, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaki View Post
Modern Combat 3. Gameloft's flagship first person shooter. Should be coming out with the sequel soon.
07-29-2012, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendahlj View Post
You do know you can turn off notifications like this, right?
Yep. Dunno if it's an iOS bug or a noncompliant game, but it doesn't always work. Either way, it's misusing the mechanism.

I play lots of games, especially async ones. You can add me on GC: geoelectric
07-29-2012, 03:50 AM
I don't mind the odd ad but when you get, like, 4 or 5 in a row..

Games that are nigh-on impossible to progress without IAP.
07-29-2012, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaki View Post
What he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Modern Combat 3. Gameloft's flagship first person shooter. Should be coming out with the sequel soon.

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3