Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-02-2009, 02:13 AM
iPhone 3G, OS 3.x

Send a message via AIM to skamando

This looks nice but Ill have to wait for someone to TOFTT and post impressions...
Old 06-02-2009, 02:14 AM

looks good but Ill wait or 2 things ...Real Racing and a phaze price drop
Old 06-02-2009, 02:15 AM
iPhone 3G, OS 4.x

Yeah I could see them quite possibly learning SOMETHING in all that time :P Unless they're hooked on countless TD games and Zenonia!!

Waiting on some impressions and have to buy some more credit anyway. So yeah.

Last edited by TouchChatterbox; 06-02-2009 at 02:18 AM..
Old 06-02-2009, 02:17 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Actually, it looks kind of cool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ndV6Ej51LM
Old 06-02-2009, 02:25 AM

Just bought it and holy crap this game is fun. The sense of speed and track design is much better than low Grav racer and it's very close to the old wipeout games. I've always wanted a futuristic racing game on my phone after owing the psp wipout games and this fits the bill very nicely!
Old 06-02-2009, 02:37 AM

i just gave it a whirl, sucker for wipeout clones

just played it briefly, i can post more later if nothing shows up but gonna head to bed soon but basically brief impression is its not that bad. i played on easy which is way too easy, you'll lap cars by lap three even if your asleep but three other difficulty modes too... not sure if higher difficulty levels will increase speeds like in wipeout but the sense of speed on easy is not there so if thats it then no i can't reccomend this game. there are turbos all over the place and hitting those give a good sense of speed, not sure if its going to be designed to where on higher difficulties, the game is predicated on hitting most of those as opposed to getting faster in ship class and just having tougher ai to face off against. obviously i prefer the latter.

its not very forgiving on the walls, a few scrapes on the walls and you get pretty close to death(new ship regenerates on the spot afterward). visually its not too shabby, you will see pop in on the distance but if ship speeds do not advance on higher levels, its not to where its a issue.

as you can tell, my theme for this one is sense of speed, these wipeout clones are basically solely predicated on that in my opinion so if its lacking, i'de say its a no go. if it gets faster, then i don't think 5 bucks is too high a price.

update : did a quick replay at the next level of difficulty, speed didn't improve. ai got tougher but the speed reaches 420 mph and redlines...the difficulty will be in memorizing the tracks and turbo pads...so, take that for what it is. now hitting those pads as i said before, does give a good rush of speed to it. but personally, i'de find it annoying to have to hit em all to get that thrill. wipeout got fast, then uncontrollable fast with a boost, thats more my cup of tea.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:40 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Send a message via AIM to russiaone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssahnan View Post
i just gave it a whirl, sucker for wipeout clones

just played it briefly, i can post more later if nothing shows up but gonna head to bed soon but basically brief impression is its not that bad. i played on easy which is way too easy, you'll lap cars by lap three even if your asleep but three other difficulty modes too... not sure if higher difficulty levels will increase speeds like in wipeout but the sense of speed on easy is not there so if thats it then no i can't reccomend this game. there are turbos all over the place and hitting those give a good sense of speed, not sure if its going to be designed to where on higher difficulties, the game is predicated on hitting most of those as opposed to getting faster in ship class and just having tougher ai to face off against. obviously i prefer the latter.

its not very forgiving on the walls, a few scrapes on the walls and you get pretty close to death(new ship regenerates on the spot afterward). visually its not too shabby, you will see pop in on the distance but if ship speeds do not advance on higher levels, its not to where its a issue.

as you can tell, my theme for this one is sense of speed, these wipeout clones are basically solely predicated on that in my opinion so if its lacking, i'de say its a no go. if it gets faster, then i don't think 5 bucks is too high a price.

update : did a quick replay at the next level of difficulty, speed didn't improve. ai got tougher but the speed reaches 420 mph and redlines...the difficulty will be in memorizing the tracks and turbo pads...so, take that for what it is. now hitting those pads as i said before, does give a good rush of speed to it. but personally, i'de find it annoying to have to hit em all to get that thrill. wipeout got fast, then uncontrollable fast with a boost, thats more my cup of tea.

Thanks for the impressions... Now I know to stay far far away, like the galaxy Star Wars took place in.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:47 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

First impressions:

PROS

- Nice control (sensitivity can be adjusted; rotate left/right to steer; tip forwards/lift up to accelerate/ease down; tip towards to brake)
- Great graphics
- Two modes: single and championship
- 4 difficulty levels (easy is really easy, a walk in the park; normal and up get harder)
- Good music and sounds
- Smooth/fast animations
- Tracks and cars to unlock
- It can resume

CONS

- No radar/map (like LowGrav this game does not have a radar/map that tell you where the opponents are; if you're not in 1st you get easily lost because there's no way to know how behind you are; it's a race game for God sake!!!!)
- No career mode
- No high score
- No statistics

Although it has a smooth and fast 3D engine with great graphics a lack of a radar/map showing the opponents position and giving you an idea of how behind or ahead you are is simply unforgivable. It's a race and a modern one! Where's my GPS?!

Rate: 2/5.

Last edited by Carlos-Sz; 06-02-2009 at 02:54 AM..
Old 06-02-2009, 02:52 AM

Agreed, lots of fun, but without radar there's no real "sense" of competition, if that makes any sense.

With a lack of knowing positioning the other cars/sleds/crafts may as well just be obstacles that are part of the course.

Otherwise, plays and LOOKS gorgeous(ly?)!
Old 06-02-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaone View Post
Thanks for the impressions... Now I know to stay far far away, like the galaxy Star Wars took place in.
np...for the heck of it, i gave low grav another whirl just now and in comparison...

track design in phaze is better in that its more tubular, up and down, corkscrew type stuff like how wipeout got. low grav generally seems to stay on a level plane of altitude. but something that low grav does to give it a better sense of speed is the ship is bigger in relation to the track so you feel more tight on the track and overall, kinda tricks you into feeling like its going faster. in phaze, the tracks are fairly wide in the three i played so far, ship feels smaller on it, in the end, feels like you are going slower. visually lowgrav was not as far off from phaze as i had thought but still, phaze is more eyecandy. again, lowgrav implements more tricks to get it looking better then it is, uses the fog well to mask draw distance. in turn, phaze's track design helps it out on draw distance with all the corckscrewing and tunnels and such.

in the end, i think its that track design that lends itself to control as well, with more confined space in low grav, you feel its harder to control because your room for error is much less. conversely phaze feels better to handle cuz you've got more real estate to cover your driving flaws, its more forgiveing. weapons in either game aren't as fine tuned as they could be.

don't want to make it sound as if i find phaze a waste of space kinda game but we all have video access to youtube to see what it looks like, i'de rather center around what i felt were its shortcomings from the perspective of a guy whose extensivelly played all the wipeout iterations and quite a few of the clones as well.

end of the day, not sure if the iphone platform can adequately do justice to a wipeout clone in that i don't know if the accelrometer controls can be fine tuned to give you that quick right-left jerk type twitch control you need to pull it off.