Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-01-2012, 12:55 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

looking at some of the monsters makes me think I forgot to secure my Dropbox or something.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:33 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotsvswizards.com View Post
looking at some of the monsters makes me think I forgot to secure my Dropbox or something.
At least you know you inspired someone lol.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:59 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

I like the look of the game, I just hate city building.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:51 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshCM View Post
hmm they are using Paper Monsters in the first screenshot, I'd advise they take that down, or they'll be seeing an email from my lawyer.
The whole game is made of "paper monsters". Someone's going to be in big trouble
Old 08-01-2012, 09:55 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Some quick impressions after spending the afternoon with this:

- Not seeing any relation to Paper Monsters beyond the fact they're both origami like, well, paper monsters. As much as I can get behind a good Gameloft bashing, any resemblance seems genuinely coincidental. Paper Monsters was a full on platformer with a considerably more complex art aesthetic. This is definitely nothing but a free to play monster rancher game where the paper craft design gave them a solid aesthetic that could be made to look good while maintaining low poly counts for fluid 3D rendering across so many device specifications.

- In line with the first point, yeah, this does look pretty good, there was a single head artist behind everything in the game and the cohesive vision for the look comes through. The design and animations do give the game a sense of charm that is unusual for a Gameloft property, their offerings usually have all the panache of a black light unicorn poster.

- Gameloft seems to have, for them, bent over backward to make the social aspects as painless as possible: You can use either Facebook or Gameloft Live, you can gift everyone in a single click, and you can earn unlimited "Friend Stones" just by visiting random farms once you're logged in via either network even if you have no friends.

- Basic campaign design and mechanics are nothing new, but it's solidly implemented and much better than earlier Gameloft freemium builders I've tried and subsequently deleted.

- Unfortunately, this is a Freemium game, and it is Gameloft, and that means not everything is going to be good. Timers and/or spending currency are tied to just about everything you might want to do. Care for a monster (which is how the monsters earn XP and level)? Spend gold or crystals just to care for the monster and then trigger a timer until that monster can be cared for again. Battle with a monster? Trigger a rest timer until that monster can battle again. Of course, the timers can be bypassed by spending crystals, the game's premium premium currency.

Gold coins are earned primarily by completing tasks, secondarily through battling, and lastly by ye old click on a doojanger that generates gold periodically. So far, gold has not been an issue, but if these tasks ever slow down or become particularly herculean to complete, there would be problems because gold is generated *slowly* from the "attractions" in the game, and battling is only a moderately better.

Friend Stones are used for land expansions and purchasing in-battle boosts and, while grindy to do so, can be acquired in unlimited form by repeatedly visiting other players and shaking their monsters 5 times (yes, you literally shake your i-Device to do this, yeesh - you can also pet them, but shaking is faster)

Crystals are what's going to make or break this sales model, and I can't tell yet just how high Gameloft built the inevitable pay wall that players will hit. There doesn't appear to be any reliable way to earn crystals in the game - leveling up your "trainer" and the occasional 'quest' reward will give you some, but if my own progress is indicative, you might get around 500 crystals in the course of playing through the game, but there are well over 5000 crystals worth of premium locations, monsters, decorations, etc. (over $125 worth), and that's just for the "tangible" crystal sinks.

- Gameplay seems simple but well done with some basic type vs type matching that should be familiar and modest battle interactivity in the form of triggering criticals. It looks like it might get semi-lively as you get into 3v3 battles, but it might also break down into a repetitive mess.

------

It's definitely a cut above the usual Gameloft freemium builder game and if you've been able to keep MinoMonsters or another of the shallow monster rancher games on the app store on your device it's definitely worth the download just to see if it clicks with you. I'm not sure how long it will last for me, but it didn't trigger the sort of instant hate that every other GL freemium builder I've tried did
Old 08-01-2012, 10:03 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Hannum View Post
Some quick impressions after spending the afternoon with this:

- Not seeing any relation to Paper Monsters beyond the fact they're both origami like, well, paper monsters. As much as I can get behind a good Gameloft bashing, any resemblance seems genuinely coincidental. Paper Monsters was a full on platformer with a considerably more complex art aesthetic. This is definitely nothing but a free to play monster rancher game where the paper craft design gave them a solid aesthetic that could be made to look good while maintaining low poly counts for fluid 3D rendering across so many device specifications.

- In line with the first point, yeah, this does look pretty good, there was a single head artist behind everything in the game and the cohesive vision for the look comes through. The design and animations do give the game a sense of charm that is unusual for a Gameloft property, their offerings usually have all the panache of a black light unicorn poster.

- Gameloft seems to have, for them, bent over backward to make the social aspects as painless as possible: You can use either Facebook or Gameloft Live, you can gift everyone in a single click, and you can earn unlimited "Friend Stones" just by visiting random farms once you're logged in via either network even if you have no friends.

- Basic campaign design and mechanics are nothing new, but it's solidly implemented and much better than earlier Gameloft freemium builders I've tried and subsequently deleted.

- Unfortunately, this is a Freemium game, and it is Gameloft, and that means not everything is going to be good. Timers and/or spending currency are tied to just about everything you might want to do. Care for a monster (which is how the monsters earn XP and level)? Spend gold or crystals just to care for the monster and then trigger a timer until that monster can be cared for again. Battle with a monster? Trigger a rest timer until that monster can battle again. Of course, the timers can be bypassed by spending crystals, the game's premium premium currency.

Gold coins are earned primarily by completing tasks, secondarily through battling, and lastly by ye old click on a doojanger that generates gold periodically. So far, gold has not been an issue, but if these tasks ever slow down or become particularly herculean to complete, there would be problems because gold is generated *slowly* from the "attractions" in the game, and battling is only a moderately better.

Friend Stones are used for land expansions and purchasing in-battle boosts and, while grindy to do so, can be acquired in unlimited form by repeatedly visiting other players and shaking their monsters 5 times (yes, you literally shake your i-Device to do this, yeesh - you can also pet them, but shaking is faster)

Crystals are what's going to make or break this sales model, and I can't tell yet just how high Gameloft built the inevitable pay wall that players will hit. There doesn't appear to be any reliable way to earn crystals in the game - leveling up your "trainer" and the occasional 'quest' reward will give you some, but if my own progress is indicative, you might get around 500 crystals in the course of playing through the game, but there are well over 5000 crystals worth of premium locations, monsters, decorations, etc. (over $125 worth), and that's just for the "tangible" crystal sinks.

- Gameplay seems simple but well done with some basic type vs type matching that should be familiar and modest battle interactivity in the form of triggering criticals. It looks like it might get semi-lively as you get into 3v3 battles, but it might also break down into a repetitive mess.

------

It's definitely a cut above the usual Gameloft freemium builder game and if you've been able to keep MinoMonsters or another of the shallow monster rancher games on the app store on your device it's definitely worth the download just to see if it clicks with you. I'm not sure how long it will last for me, but it didn't trigger the sort of instant hate that every other GL freemium builder I've tried did
Thank you for the review and opinions.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:28 AM

The freemium is horrifying in this game a single monster is like $80. Gotta catch them all give us around 1k dollars total to do so! Stay clear ladies and gents, stay clear
Old 08-02-2012, 10:48 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyra View Post
The freemium is horrifying in this game a single monster is like $80. Gotta catch them all give us around 1k dollars total to do so! Stay clear ladies and gents, stay clear
Is that the only way to get said monster? Is it the best monster? From what I gathered there were only about 20 monsters anyway.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:48 AM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyra View Post
Where are you getting $80? You can buy *everything* in the game for a bit north of $125. Not saying that's a good thing, but the most expensive monster you can buy outright is the dragon one for 2400 crystals, which is not even $50. Yes, still ridiculous, no doubt, but that one monster accounts for over 30% of the value of the IAP items in the game. If you're going to hate on the game for the IAP, at least hate on it for the actual IAP, not your wildly overstated by more than 600% version
Old 08-02-2012, 12:19 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Downloading it now.