★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What's it take to break the top 100?

06-02-2009, 09:54 AM
#1
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 227
What's it take to break the top 100?

I thought this was already asked, so I did some searching and couldn't find it.

For the top 100 paid and top 100 free, what's it take to break into those lists?

Thanks,
Roy
06-02-2009, 10:03 AM
#2
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 51
Try to do a search on pricing or marketing - you might find some interesting discussions.

Like this one for instance http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=10960&highlight=marketing+pricing

06-02-2009, 10:38 AM
#3
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerz View Post
I thought this was already asked, so I did some searching and couldn't find it.

For the top 100 paid and top 100 free, what's it take to break into those lists?

Thanks,
Roy
For US paid games.. somewhere above 200 a day.
For UK paid games.. about 50.

Labyrinth is too high on the free lists to estimate the bottom.

Wooden Labyrinth 3D - Apple Design Award winner!
Multitask Madness - test your brain, challenge your friends!
Need quality iPhone consulting or custom applications? Check out my company's website at Qvik.fi!

Last edited by eVp; 06-02-2009 at 11:21 AM.
06-02-2009, 10:52 AM
#4
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by eVp View Post
For US paid.. somewhere above 200 a day.
For UK paid.. about 50.

Labyrinth is too high on the free lists to estimate the bottom.
Just noticed something weird.. went to check my daily sales report and I had nothing for 6/1.

I had 419 downloads of the free app on Sunday.. do I still need thousands more to get to the free top 100 list or am I somewhat close to breaking it?
06-02-2009, 11:06 AM
#5
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerz View Post
Just noticed something weird.. went to check my daily sales report and I had nothing for 6/1.

I had 419 downloads of the free app on Sunday.. do I still need thousands more to get to the free top 100 list or am I somewhat close to breaking it?
Wooden Labyrinth 3D's free version had 3970 DLs in US store on Sunday.. at position 57 game. Overall it netted 13117 DLs that day. I'd say you need at least 2000 free downloads to make it to top 100 games - in US that is.

Wooden Labyrinth 3D - Apple Design Award winner!
Multitask Madness - test your brain, challenge your friends!
Need quality iPhone consulting or custom applications? Check out my company's website at Qvik.fi!
06-02-2009, 11:10 AM
#6
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,151
The 6/1 reports haven't come out yet. A lot of other devs have confirmed it.

And 419 isn't going to be even close to breaking the top 100 free list - sorry Our lite version for Little Red Sled sells 500-1000/day, and it's just middle of the range in its game category lists (#46 on Family Games, #32 on Racing).

Also, I think it takes a lot more than 200/day to break into the US top paid. That might get you into the bottom of Top Games, though.
06-02-2009, 02:01 PM
#7
How exactly are the top 100 apps calculated?


Looking at the lists from day to day, I don't think they are updated based on daily sales because we would see much higher volatility than what we end up seeing. There has to be some kind of moving average going on.

Visit us at http://www.touchsmiths.com!
Follow us on Twitter!
Tipix 1.3 is OUT NOW! Loco Moto is OUT NOW!
06-02-2009, 03:09 PM
#8
Joined: May 2009
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by eVp View Post
Wooden Labyrinth 3D's free version had 3970 DLs in US store on Sunday.. at position 57 game. Overall it netted 13117 DLs that day. I'd say you need at least 2000 free downloads to make it to top 100 games - in US that is.
Wow so less than a third of your downloads are in the US??

Check out Sheepish, 100+ levels of puzzle fun! With sheep!
And more about us: www.pixelthismobile.com
plus+ id: Newtz
06-02-2009, 04:15 PM
#9
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Iceland
Posts: 278
You probably need 500+ copies a day to get into the Top 100 in the paid category.
06-02-2009, 05:08 PM
#10
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelthisMike View Post
Wow so less than a third of your downloads are in the US??
Actually of the 1.7 mil dls only 16% are from US. Then again, the game has been top 10 in many other countries and only up to the very edge of top 100 overall in US.

Wooden Labyrinth 3D - Apple Design Award winner!
Multitask Madness - test your brain, challenge your friends!
Need quality iPhone consulting or custom applications? Check out my company's website at Qvik.fi!