★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Turf Geography Club is a modestly great real world monopoly experience. Own, defend, and profit from your favorite places. Whether it's a coffee shop down the block or a library across the world you can own it all. Turf isn't a fancy pants angry smirds game. It's more like a sailing voyage - adventurous and meant to be savored with "frienemies" over the course of months (sea-sickness not included).

- Free to Play
- Compete against thousands worldwide
- Share your location with friends
- Chat with folks near and far!
- Amass great stockpiles of coins and crystals
- Takeover & build valuable real-estate
- Collect rare trophies
- Gain experience and level up!

-----

We're passionate about Turf and plan to release awesome expansions and features for as long as players will provide us with much needed attention!

Stupendous Future Updates...

- Global & local high score boards
- Add locations in game
- Mini-games
- World domination

curtisvorley's comments:
I can't find anyone on the forums talking about this game, I read an article on The Verge this morning about it. (http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/2/321...-a-mobile-game) It is really something special and everyone should check it out! The more people the better.

It uses Foursquares database and Google Maps to create all of the locations in the game.

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/turf-geography-club/id515839839?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D2
08-02-2012, 11:45 PM
Downloaded this. Usually not into these types of games but this game has some serious polish. I suggest checking it out! Really cool game.

08-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turakm View Post
Downloaded this. Usually not into these types of games but this game has some serious polish. I suggest checking it out! Really cool game.
I feel exactly the same. I'm really disappointed more people aren't talking about this game. If this game got huge it would get really interesting trying to defend all your properties.
08-03-2012, 07:31 PM
i dont know much about GPS games but i tried this and its fun and quite polished. not sure how long it will keep me interested but as a free download its definitely worth checking out!
08-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Game Impressions

08-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Okay, so this "game" is pretty awesome. Here's how it works...

You check into locations using the 4SQ API. Each location has a different graphic based on the type... buildings, bridges, grocery stores, parks, etc. At first, the graphic is very basic - maybe it's a run down park, or a rickety old bridge. But here's where the fun comes into play...

You can attempt to "take over" a location by spinning a slot machine that has odds. The chances of you taking over a location are increased/decreased by a) the amount of foot traffic a location receives, how much the location has been upgraded with new floors, for example, on buildings or stores, and how many consecutive days you've checked-in.

Once you own a building, you start earning rent in addition to a little bonus for anytime someone tries to take over your location but fails.

You can earn all sorts of achievements and trophies which you can display on your shelf, which is all about bragging rights to your friends. There's a trophy store that sells trophies that cost a BUNCH of money, so you have to own a BUNCH of properties to even have a shot at earning that much money with time.

Yes, there is iAP, but it's actually kind of fun iAP. One option for $0.99 allows you to earn double coins whenever you check-in (forever) and another option for $4.99 increased your take-over chance by 4% across the board.

As you level up by checking into location and fending off take over attempts, you can build various floors (kind of like in Tiny Tower) that take a few hours to complete and give you increased rent that you can collect every few hours. The floors are quite various in nature and they are said to be adding more variety and bonuses to the floor types.

Anyhoo, it's a fun game and it's free if you want it to be free... so why not give it a shot?!

HTML Code:
<name> Noah <!-- hello.wordpress.com -->
<member since> Sept. 2008 <!-- that's 8+ years -->
<title> Senior Applications Developer <!-- CricketWireless.com -->
09-30-2012, 08:59 AM
So, anyone playing this? Im located in Sweden, and there is not a lot going on here.