★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: From the developer of "Summer Games 3D" - the UK TOP OVERALL iPhone / iPod Touch Hit.

This game, Daley Thompson's Decathlon 2012 is the spiritual successor to Daley Thompson's Decathlon a computer game based on Konami's Track & Field, developed and released under license by Ocean Software in 1984. It was released in the wake of Daley Thompson's popularity following his gold medals in the decathlon at the 1980 and 1984 Olympic Games.

The games' loading screens feature packaging art originally created in 1984, by Bob Wakelin.

Celebrate the spirit of this summer's games with Britain's greatest ever decathlete and compete in:
- Day 1: 100 metres, Long jump, Shot putt, High jump, 400 metres
- Day 2: 110 hurdles, Pole vault, Discus, Javelin, 1500 metres

- 3D graphics (much as we still enjoy the original ZX Spectrum Decathlon game, we couldn't bring ourselves to use 2D graphics in creating 2012)
- familiar button-bashing play controls, combined with bespoke touch-screen inputs specifically designed for each individual event
- the option of competing in each of the 10 events individually, or collectively as a decathlon
- 3 player-selectable game-difficulty levels; easy, medium and hard
local high scores, both for the decathlon and for each of the 10 individual events
- universal app; buy once and use on your iPod touch, iPhone and iPad at no extra cost

"Frankly not THE most realistic track and field simulation, but suspend the disbelief and this is a fantastic companion for those of us that just can't get enough of this summer's games."

About Daley Thompson's Decathlon (the ZX Spectrum Decathlon game): Sinclair User gave the game a score of 8/10. It went on to become the biggest selling Spectrum game of Q4 1984. The game won the award for Game Of The Year 1984 in Crash magazine and was the Best Arcade Style Game of the Year at the Golden Joystick Awards. The game was included on the 1985 compilation They Sold a Million, along with Beach-Head, Sabre Wulf and Jet Set Willy. The game's soundtrack was composed by Martin Galway. The introduction music is based on the 1978 electronic music piece "Rydeen" by Yellow Magic Orchestra.

About Daley Thompson's Decathlon 2012 (2012): this game, 2012, is a Summer Games 3D: Special Edition.

About Daley Thompson (Source: Wikipedia): Francis Morgan Ayodélé "Daley" Thompson CBE (born 30 July 1958), is a former decathlete from England. He won the decathlon gold medal at the Olympic Games in 1980 and 1984 and broke the world record for the event four times. With four world records, two Olympic Games gold medals, three Commonwealth titles and wins in the World and European Championships, Thompson is considered by many to be the greatest decathlete of all time. Robert Chalmers described him as "the greatest all-round athlete this country has ever produced."

About Elite: Elite Systems Group Ltd is a British game publisher.

Note: if there's demand, we'll add Game Center support to the next update. Tell us @elite_systems and at paperboy@elite-systems.co.uk

psj3809's comments:

Well this came out last night, another track n field game (Obviously a few of them out at the moment due to the Olympics). Theres two decathlon games by Elite, obviously this ones for the UK/European market and then theres Brian Clays Decathlon ( http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bryan-clays-decathlon-2012/id529616110?mt=8 )for the US.

Must admit i'm enjoying this, played two decathlons in the game. First one on easy level i just won, it was all on the final event (1500m) which i had to win by 2 seconds to win it all, was pretty good.

Some of the events are the usual 'tap left/right' and then throw, others are press the numbered buttons in order.

Think its pretty good. Its not perfect, the animations for running isnt the best, theres no GameCentre which is a shame as you could compete against friends. I was surprised theres no final ceremony for the medals it just kinda says 'you won' and restarts.

On the other hand say if Gameloft did this it might look amazing but be a 1.4 gig install ! This is only 19.5 meg to download so the installed file cant be that big.

For 69p i think its worth it, it has all the 10 events and for me its the best track n field game i've played (i've bought 4 this week alone).
08-03-2012, 03:14 AM
Ive already bought 3or4 track n field games this week. So think I'll pass on this on. Though the original was great I'm not liking the graphics of this remake.
08-03-2012, 04:45 AM
There are three versions of this game in the Aus store. One Daley, one Brian, and one with neither. Way to confuse your potential customers.
08-03-2012, 05:14 AM
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
There are three versions of this game in the Aus store. One Daley, one Brian, and one with neither. Way to confuse your potential customers.
Yeah i didnt see Daley Thompsons at first, bought the Brian Clay one instead ! Its all the same apart from Daley has the 'cool' moustache. Thought Brian Clay would only be for US app stores