★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

New trend of levels downloading AFTER initial download?

08-04-2012, 12:00 PM
New trend of levels downloading AFTER initial download?

With an 8 GB iPhone 3GS, I keep my phone pretty much filled to the gills with games so space is a precious commodity. But lately I've noticed that some games are starting to have "small" file sizes for intial downloads then as you progress through the game it downloads levels without asking (which you thought were part of the initial download and these are not add on packs).

Both Shark Dash and Mega Run are two culprits. Shark Dash is a 33.6 MB download (can't remember the installed size but think it was still under 50 MB). But as you progress, the file size grows and grows and it ended up being over 100 MBs in size. Same with Mega Run....and that game seems to take longer times to load the additional levels.

Anyway, I thought it was kind of deceiving and a little annoying. I know not everyone has space concerns. But is this going to become a trend?

Last edited by awp69; 08-04-2012 at 12:13 PM.
08-04-2012, 01:23 PM
I dont think so, I think i've only experienced this with one or two games that i've ever played (can't even remember which)

Playing: Ski Safari, Polara, Girls Like Robots, Dynamite Jack, Monster Flip, Polymer, Super Mole Escape, Dream of Pixels, Radballs

08-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Ermmm...I'm confused. Yeah, the file sizes you see (and download) on the App Store are how big the apps are when they're compressed. Once on your device, the apps become uncompressed...but nothing's being invisibly and mysteriously downloaded. The apps just expand.

EDIT: Reading your post again, you say "installed size"...which means I'm just being stupid and you know about compression...but...still...I'm confused.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"

Last edited by metalcasket; 08-04-2012 at 02:21 PM.
08-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
Ermmm...I'm confused. Yeah, the file sizes you see (and download) on the App Store are how big the apps are when they're compressed. Once on your device, the apps become uncompressed...but nothing's being invisibly and mysteriously downloaded. The apps just expand.

EDIT: Reading your post again, you say "installed size"...which means I'm just being stupid and you know about compression...but...still...I'm confused.
i think he means when he installs a game, all the levels are not included, and more levels get downloaded as you progress.

Playing: Ski Safari, Polara, Girls Like Robots, Dynamite Jack, Monster Flip, Polymer, Super Mole Escape, Dream of Pixels, Radballs
08-04-2012, 02:57 PM
It's to keep the initial download under 50MB so it can be downloaded over 3G.
08-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filing Cabinet View Post
i think he means when he installs a game, all the levels are not included, and more levels get downloaded as you progress.
Yes, this. And if your device is already full, it actually causes problems. Before I realized what was happening. Mega Run would not allow me to access the second set of levels because it couldn't download them. Then I figured out that it downloaded them as you progress. So I needed to free up room.
08-04-2012, 07:36 PM
I think it's a good idea and should be used on bigger games... That way you download a game like NOVA 3 without having to delete so much. Then as u progressed u could find space etc...

I don't think it's meant to be deceiving since 100mg isn't that much space, if it was 1gb that would be different.

Apps grow when you update them anyways.. This is kind of the same except they grow when you get to certain point etc..
08-04-2012, 08:28 PM
One example is iOOTP. After download it is less more or less 100 megs, but once you start a new game and the data starts piling up, it doubles in space, and it also increases if you start another game without deleting the previous one. I'm not sure about levels in like mega run but in iootp it uses a lot of memory, as it needs all of it to store previous seasons data and stats and such. SO yes, it does happen

GC- banger1103
08-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Ronfar View Post
I don't think it's meant to be deceiving since 100mg isn't that much space, if it was 1gb that would be different.

Apps grow when you update them anyways.. This is kind of the same except they grow when you get to certain point etc..
Guess deceiving was a strong word as I don't think the devs are trying to screw with people. Just is weird when you are playing a game and lack space and suddenly you get a blank background (this is what happened to me in Mega Run) trying to go to the next set of levels. And when someone like me pushes my device to the limits of space then, yes,even 100 mb counts.

Anyway, not a big deal. Just never saw it until some recent games.

As far as updates, I would actually LOVE if they had progressive downloads and fixes that just required an additional download instead of having to basically have enough room to reinstall a game - especially the massive 1 GB games.
08-05-2012, 11:28 AM
One reason may be that Google Play only allows an initial 50mb package.
Anything beyond is downloaded after the fact.
One reason for this trend may just simply be so companies can keep the game the same across multiple devices.