★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

tiny TM or the copyright symbol at the end of an app name?

08-06-2012, 08:23 PM
tiny TM or the copyright symbol at the end of an app name?

Now that it is getting harder to find a great IOS name for an app I was wondering how to submit an app with the tiny TM or a tiny copyright symbol at the end of an app name Flashlight TM or Mirror R with a circle. Also wanted to know if you use these symbols if Apple actually verifies if you own the trademark or not. I know how to use the commands to create these two symbols but I was wondering if their is more to creating these types of app names.

STR8TS , STR8TS 6X6 , DOMINO DICE , PUZZLE DICE,
CAVEMAN TEST, 1 TO 25, SUDOKU+STR8TS, ZARTE, ABSORB WATER, YOU, TIME SHEET (PHOTO VERIFIED),Office Alarm, Travel weather, dock clock,
08-06-2012, 10:35 PM
I hate those tiny (x)(y)(z)'s in game names! And can't wait to rename them when they appear on my 'gaming machine', as I'm sure 99% of any dev team would given the choice. Drop the the...would be an understatement in regards to ugly registered trade marks etc. in app names. Well maybe it's just me but I prefer clutter-free.

Also, lots of mentions recently that the app name is I guess 50% key to your search results. You could instead follow your app name with a colon ( and then a short description. Personally I am happy to stick with one simple word with the next game, but in this case am not taking own advice (which read on twitter, not technically my advice).

Web: www.zenout.co.uk
Follow: @zenoutJez
Developer: BubbleSand Tetroms (Attic Eyes...Soon!)
AppStore search string: "Jez Hammond"

08-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicated Puzzles View Post
Now that it is getting harder to find a great IOS name for an app I was wondering how to submit an app with the tiny TM or a tiny copyright symbol at the end of an app name Flashlight TM or Mirror R with a circle. Also wanted to know if you use these symbols if Apple actually verifies if you own the trademark or not. I know how to use the commands to create these two symbols but I was wondering if their is more to creating these types of app names.
What's the point? Only one particular name is allowed in the App Store. Once submitted,
nobody else can use the same name.
08-07-2012, 12:30 AM
I would think that since Apple doesn't care about copyright infringement that they would care even less about trademarks. They won't check who owns a TM, heck they don't even care who owns the game itself.

Somebody else will probably care though. Trademarks are expensive and difficult to get, so someone may do some investigating if they see "Flashlight(R)"

Are you saying you want to put a TM next to an app name that you don't own a trademark for? That's kind of what it sounds like, sorry if I'm mistaken. That would be fraud and, at minimum, would reflect poorly on your company.

I don't think there is any trick to adding it to your app name. EA use the symbols in some of their titles. Daredevil Dave is registered, but I don't know that it needs to go in the app name. I see no point to that (unless my attorney tells me to).
08-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devcade View Post
What's the point? Only one particular name is allowed in the App Store. Once submitted,
nobody else can use the same name.
Exact name, yes. Change a symbol, add a word...
08-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by schplurg View Post
Are you saying you want to put a TM next to an app name that you don't own a trademark for? That's kind of what it sounds like, sorry if I'm mistaken. That would be fraud and, at minimum, would reflect poorly on your company.
No, it wouldn't be. It is merely a claim to a trademark, not an indication of a formal registration.

Having an (R) symbol at the end of your game name without having registered would be misrepresentation (though don't know it constitutes actual "fraud").
08-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikPok View Post
No, it wouldn't be. It is merely a claim to a trademark, not an indication of a formal registration.

Having an (R) symbol at the end of your game name without having registered would be misrepresentation (though don't know it constitutes actual "fraud").
It would be if someone already owned it. I'm not a lawyer, so maybe not technically fraud, but maybe. Try putting Tetris (R) or TM in your title name.

Wasn't being careful what I typed though...the R would be the problem. I think getting caught in either case could only be bad for business though.

Last edited by schplurg; 08-07-2012 at 12:50 AM.
08-07-2012, 12:53 AM
Quote:
It would be if someone already owned it.
Well, you weren't really clear with what you were saying. In that case, there would be an issue.
08-07-2012, 12:56 AM
True. I'm kinda movin fast tonight But putting TM in your app title doesn't keep anybody else from using the mark, at least as I understand it. I just don't see the point in doing it for that purpose.

I hire an attorney for this stuff, I'm no expert haha. Trademarking is not for the faint of heart.
08-07-2012, 01:10 AM
Quote:
True. I'm kinda movin fast tonight But putting TM in your app title doesn't keep anybody else from using the mark, at least as I understand it. I just don't see the point in doing it for that purpose.
Claiming it as a mark is necessary if you ever want to defend that mark. It isn't pointless, but it is a lot weaker than actually registering a mark.