★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Sketch Dungeon Released ($.99)

06-03-2009, 12:23 AM
Sketch Dungeon Released ($.99)

SketchDungeon AppStore Link

And now for something a little different...

Remember playing old school rpg games on graph paper?

Now you can watch those sketches come to life!

Top-down dungeon exploration, focusing on gameplay. Encounter orcs, goblins, ogres, and more as you fight your way deeper and deeper into the dungeon depths.

Fight through 15 handcrafted levels of old school dungeon mayhem
Real-time physics engine
Unique Hand-drawn Sketch Animations
Control your hero with the Accelerometer
Tap to shoot where you want
Strafing - Move one way, shoot another
Utilize powerups - exploding arrows, banking shots, and more
Zoom in and out while playing
Particle explosions
On-line high score leaderboard
Fast OpenGL ES Rendering enables fluid animation and great gameplay

In addition to the iPhone/iTouch game, you can try out a limited three level demo (mac only)
Download SketchDungeon Demo For Mac

Gameplay Video

Older GameplayVideo

Last edited by OptimisticMonkey; 06-03-2009 at 12:38 AM.
06-03-2009, 12:24 AM
I assume you're the dev. There's a discussion (sort of) going on in a thread created earlier: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=14718
Yours is prettier, however.

It looks great, however I will pass due to the control scheme. I find it somewhat ironic that in the video you use the keyboard to control the character, which seems much more logical than using the accelerometer. I would much prefer a virtual d-pad.

GameCenter/OpenFeint/Plus+/Agon/Gameloft Live/Xbox LIVE/PSN ID: VoodooVyper

Last edited by VoodooVyper; 06-03-2009 at 12:28 AM.

06-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Thanks VoodooVyper - I agree a d-pad might be a good addition for the iPhone version..

We did spend a lot of time tuning the accelerometer control - if you get a chance, give it a try and let me know what you think.

Last edited by OptimisticMonkey; 06-03-2009 at 01:13 AM.
06-03-2009, 01:17 AM
Great idea! It looks like a mix of Crimson Land and roguelike rpg-s. Two candies in one box I definitely give it a try.
Is there a chance, that you'll add some storyline to the game?
06-03-2009, 01:24 AM
We appreciate any tips and feedback on SketchDungeon and hope to add additional content soon...

Adding a storyline is definitely an interesting idea - We need to think about that one.

Also check out Seishu's feedback here in this closed thread
06-03-2009, 01:24 AM
Looks pretty neat. Graphically, I wish the game had the 'hand drawn' theme for the whole game (instead of just the map itself) but it looks fun nonetheless.
06-03-2009, 01:25 AM
First impressions from Seishu:
Well so far it's pretty fun. Think rogue touch with a fun pencil and paper theme and all your attacks are done with a crossbow. You use your accelerometer to move (you can calibrate in the options menu) and tap to fire in that direction. A neat feature is that you can hold down the fire button and move to strafe. The animations are fun retro style particle effects. The monsters are varied too, and play along with the theme in that they look hand drawn. The animations remind me of Parachute Panic which is another plus. Along the way you can collect treasure (try to collect it all for a higher score), kill monsters (again try to explore and kill them all), food to replenish health, and pick up magic powers (arrows bounce of walls is the only one I have found so far). The only glitch/bug I found is that at certain times and at the right angle the walls blur out to the shadowy outline.
Also there is no music (it's pencil and paper remember) though the sound effects are pretty annoying.
Overall fun, and I'm on level 2.
(Level 1 is a fun tutorial)

The later levels can get pretty tough, and of course when you die you must restart from the beginning. It's pretty fun so far, sometimes you'll find walls that you can move revealing a secret treasure room or a power-up. I haven't encountered that glitch/bug in awhile now, it might just be that level.

(^^^Copied from the now locked other thread, didn't want Seishu's TOFTT to be all for naught)

I think I'll check this game out, a for a buck it looks pretty interesting. Love dungeon crawlers, and love the sketchbook look. Plus, there's blood. I'm a sucker for anything with blood.

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA
06-03-2009, 06:24 AM
I think I'd compare this more to Temple of Apshai than Rogue, but simplified. It looks rather interesting, but I'm not sure I dig the accelerometer controls though. This sort of game really calls for a D-Pad. I suppose I'd have to play it to get a good handle on that aspect, but I don't hold much hope.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
06-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Woot a graph paper RPG! Been a long time since I have played one of those Great work!
06-03-2009, 08:11 AM
The name of this app implies that you could "sketch" your own simple dungeons; that would be a fun feature. Will this be implemented in the future?