Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 08-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

From my point of view (after viewing the video), it's lacking a lot of polish. And probably user feedback (I'm talking the complete stranger, not afraid to tell you what they're thinking kind of feedback. Not friends and family "you're off to a great start" feedback).

- The name is, quite frankly, off putting. Based on that I wouldn't have purchased it.

- Is that a cow or a bird? (I know the answer but the app name confused me) Either way: wrong sounds, wrong shape. At least if it were a cow you could have had a cow bell!

The ground isn't smooth. There appears to be coins on the ground, by why aren't there at heights? Hitting the ground isn't the achievement, hitting the highest bounce is! You're rewarding the player for doing poorly.

Marketing? Was there any?

The game had potential to be more than it is. For now though - I'm sorry to say - sales reflect the product.

Last edited by Blackharon; 08-07-2012 at 12:48 PM..
Old 08-07-2012, 12:14 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Played the game and here are my thoughts.

Your game does not suck, in fact it is pretty polished and enjoyable. This is the first time I have heard of your game and that is one of the biggest problems with the App Store, over saturation. It is very hard to find out about new games and marketing ios games is challenging and can be expensive.

The name of your game threw me off but once the game started, I liked the wacky nature of the game.

Suggestions:

1)Do not give up, you have a good game here.

2)I would add more items to the sky to collect, coins or whatever to give the sky more flair. Most of the coins, art is on the ground.

3)(Maybe I missed it) Add a shop to the game where the user can spend the coins. Add unlockable items and or characters?

4)Avalanche seems slow to catch up at times. There were a few times where I was having a bad run and just bouncing in place and it took a while for the avalanche to get to me.

I think you put out a quality game, I am sorry it is not performing well.

Paul
Old 08-07-2012, 01:36 PM
iPhone 4

Just checked out your game and wanted to say that it doesn't suck The character is cute and fun and I enjoyed the beginning story bit. As far as feedback I'd consider speeding up the avalanche as someone mentioned and maybe change when cow bird spins really fast (a lame little nitpick) It made sense when I would spin quickly while falling towards the ground but it seemed like the crazy fast spin would come out of nowhere while flying through the air.

I also like playing in portrait mode for hot one handed action.

good luck.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:25 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Your name sucks. It's a fairly fun but super simple game. But the name... Fix it.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:27 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Default Needs level

Just watched 5secs and looks cool. Will try it out

Edit: tried the game out. It's fun but gets boring after a while because u can't stop. I think you should add levels cause I was like when will I die. That's my opinion though. Fun game

Last edited by Jordanbuzz; 08-07-2012 at 05:39 PM..
Old 08-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Ack! How do you control in this game? Wow...

The graphics are alright, the intro graphics are very good.

But boy, when you play the game, the controls are really weird. I just keep bouncing up and down. It is really frustrating. MayBe you can make it so when you hit the screen you fly or something.

You are really brave to ask for negative feedback in a TA forum...
Old 08-07-2012, 07:37 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post

You are really brave to ask for negative feedback in a TA forum...
I can't really offer much feedback on the game beyond what has already been better articulated by others, but this point I disagree with.
TA is a great place for developers, because here they get to talk directly to the players and find out what they can do to change their games and make them better. A lot of the people here have a vested interest in seeing developers succeed, because it means that in the end, everybody wins.

Back to the game - browsing in the App Store, there's absolutely nothing about it that makes it stand out. The graphics style I've seen before and it's a bit dull, the gameplay that I could piece together from the description and screenshots isn't that exciting. (Like others have said, it doesn't have to be deep - aka Tiny Wings, but it needs to be well-presented - again, Tiny Wings). Even having a great game isn't enough though - the App Store is a game of exposure. Even games that are featured by Apple see a pretty significant drop-off in sales after the feature ends (see VR Missions Ext for a recent example). I know it's easy to say and harder to do, but you need a way to make your game travel by word of mouth after any features and advertisements have ended. I can't offer any suggestions - but obnoxious social integration is definitely, definitely not the answer.

The best thing you can now do is chalk this up to a learning experience and move on to the next bigger and better project.

Last edited by Echoseven; 08-07-2012 at 07:40 PM..
Old 08-07-2012, 08:17 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Hard truth, you're very brave

Just from watching 10 sec of the video I can tell you I would never buy it. Might sound harsh, but here's why.

The hills all look the same, there seems to be no other motivation to work for other the what looks to be randomly bouncing down a jaggy hill...... Over and over and over again... Sorry if this sounds cold.

The name is bad, and the art is not bold/cute like tiny wings, also the gameplay look like a lot of the same. To be fair tiny wings gameplay would look the same in a video as well.

Please take into account that I don't really "love" tiny wings all that much either. Haven't even played the update.... It's a great game and all, but I like games like bit less, LOE, LOE2, Hook Worlds, and other action games the best, a puzzle game is great for chill time. Tiny wings, it's okay, but your game seems to be a poorly done clone.

Time to download it and see
Old 08-07-2012, 09:04 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

To me it looks like crap sorry you asked for it

I watched a good two minutes of the video and it's so boring. All you do is try to keep momentum rolling down a hill and collect coins or whatever. At least spice it up somehow add in power ups or obstacles to avoid. Your backgrounds seem to repeat over and over until a new level as well. Oh and the art style reminds me of something a young child should play. To be honest a flying cow bird is funny yeah but not something you should name an app like this.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:03 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Not a good name. Just strange.

The terrain looks like an ugly, knitted scarf.

The main character is too small to show much personality.

I thought the sounds were fine.

Gameplay, based on the video, looks dull. Seems there's very little challenge or reason to interact with the general flow of the game, as you're just going downhill. There's no feeling of speed or urgency or tension.

The icon(s) looked fine.

Overall, there's a sense of being very derivative. Like a mash-up of games I've already played.

You've also got no exposure, which is critical, but I don't know how to improve that.
AND, if it had any exposure you would have to make a good impression immediately. And my first impression was that this was an ugly Tiny Wings derivative with a bad title.
Nothing about this makes me want to play it.

Sorry for the harsh words, but you wanted honesty, and I respect that.

Unfortunately, though, I think it's time to dust yourself off and move on to something new.

Last edited by HelperMonkey; 08-08-2012 at 10:05 AM..