Pocket God Episode 48: Call of Booty

11-26-2014, 04:04 PM
Pocket God Episode 48: Call of Booty

Hey Guys, long time no see. We have been hibernating for the last year and we are finally getting back into development.

To start with, we are releasing our 48th content update for Pocket God. the first update after more than a year. It will be released tonight at 9:00pm PST.

It's a new underwater area. We added the waterwings that Teela from the comic invented. You hand it to a pygmy and they dive into the new area.

We started off wanting to make an underwater flappy bird where the gravity pulls you up and not down. then we decided to make it a little different my changing the mechanic to something a little more like retry. We found that with retry, in order to make it interesting, you had to do a lot of level design which would take too much time. Wen we tried it out with endless randomized level generation, it was either too easy (me) or too hard (Allan). We both agreed we really liked the mechanic though. you press the screen to dive and rotate and let go to float back up. and in a way it feels like you are swimming like a dolphin. Press to long and you do a quick flip in that direction.

If felt like the mechanic led to more of an exploring game so we added a huge underwater sandbox where you can just play around with the mechanic and discover the things in the huge underwater area (about 4 screens high and 8 screens wide). There are clams that eat you, magic mines that turn you to stone, and a blob fish that impregnates you with their baby that bursts out of your stomach aliens style.

If you find the treasure and collect it, a mini game starts. The blob fish will suddenly become more aggressive and a breath timer starts. Find collect the next treasure before your breath runs out or you will die and it's game over.

The blob fish are much faster than you but are not as maneuverable. So you have to lead them so they are chasing you in one direction and then turn at the last minute so they fly past you giving you a little more time to get to the next treasure.

There is a defender-like mini map that shows where you and the obstacles are at all times. the play area also loops around like defender as well. If you are already swimming in one direction and the treasure is behind you, it's probably better to just continue the way you are swimming until it loops over to the other side.

This update is also our first universal update. We still have bars at the side for wide iphones and bars at the top for ipads but the content is scaled to fit as large as possible on each device. We were not going to do this at first. but in order to support the iPhone 6 and 6 plus we had to reengineer a lot of our display logic and making it universal was a lot easier once we had that in place.

It was fun coming back to our original game. The code is really messy after 5 years of updating like crazy, so it was kind of a pain in the butt to make everything work with iOS 8 and the new devices but the game part of it was pretty fun.

I have no idea wether we are going to do episode 49. Both Allan and I are ready to move onto something completely different. We are starting the initial game design and prototyping for a brand new game and character. We are going to use Unity in order to make it easier to port to other platforms. I definitely want to do something that is more arcade-like, something that we could release on steam or the PS Vita along with Android. Indie developers have it rough these days, we need to release our content on as many platforms as possible in order to justify the time we spend on our games.

The game will be designed to be a paid game. I would rather work on the game mechanic rather than worrying about how to funnel people into buying coins.

Wether we do more Pocket God will have to do with how sales are after this update.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by davecazz; 11-26-2014 at 04:07 PM.
11-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Awesome! The best part of this is the universal update. Can't wait to see this on my iPad...

11-26-2014, 07:12 PM
Finally ipad support! Thanks! Just one question: will you ever update pocket god journey to uranus again? I would really like to see more planets like Jupiter and Pluto. And thanks again for the Pocket God update!
11-26-2014, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoobOfTheCentury View Post
Finally ipad support! Thanks! Just one question: will you ever update pocket god journey to uranus again? I would really like to see more planets like Jupiter and Pluto. And thanks again for the Pocket God update!
That would be awesome, but right now Ooga Jump and PGU don't make enough revenue to make it worthwhile. If we did something like that we would have to charge for the update. After the backlash to monument valley, I don't think that would be a smart decision.
11-26-2014, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecazz View Post
That would be awesome, but right now Ooga Jump and PGU don't make enough revenue to make it worthwhile. If we did something like that we would have to charge for the update. After the backlash to monument valley, I don't think that would be a smart decision.
Im not aware of the Monument Valley backlash, but I wouldn't be offended by an update to PGU that is an IAP or something. Its better than no update at all. Dave, you said that you are working on a new game with a new character. Does that mean you've scrapped The Runs as well?
11-26-2014, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzzed View Post
Im not aware of the Monument Valley backlash, but I wouldn't be offended by an update to PGU that is an IAP or something. Its better than no update at all. Dave, you said that you are working on a new game with a new character. Does that mean you've scrapped The Runs as well?
Yea the scope of the runs got really out of hand. it would take us a year to finish it in it's current form. We thought we could make something with the quality of a rayman jungle run, but even bigger. with just two people.

From now on we are trying really hard to make 3 month long projects. at least until we can get some more revenue in. Right now both Allan and I are contracting and doing our games on weekends and nights.
11-26-2014, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Yea the scope of the runs got really out of hand. it would take us a year to finish it in it's current form. We thought we could make something with the quality of a rayman jungle run, but even bigger. with just two people.

From now on we are trying really hard to make 3 month long projects. at least until we can get some more revenue in. Right now both Allan and I are contracting and doing our games on weekends and nights.
This may take a while and experience with 3D, but a good idea would be to make a pocket god runner over the top like minion rush or something like that. You can unlock different pygmies to be and locations to go to.
11-26-2014, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Wow thats terrible that devs are worried about backlash for charging money.
11-26-2014, 09:29 PM
Quote:
But if you add different skin packs like in the original PG, that could get you some money probably and draw more people back. It would be cool to make the sun a spin off Death Star, and the UFO a spin off of the Enterprise.

Last edited by TheNoobOfTheCentury; 11-26-2014 at 09:32 PM.
11-26-2014, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amenbrother View Post
Wow thats terrible that devs are worried about backlash for charging money.
Yea, it's kind of sad what the market has become recently. I'm guessing a lot of developers are probably thinking the same way after the Monument Valley fiasco. I've noticed a boost in Indie games on the PSVita my guess because of it. I still have hope for iOS though.