Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-09-2012, 01:04 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

If you're not really a fan of the original game but just want a fun game to pass some time, can anyone please state if the game is any good without the 'I wish it was more like the original' thing, because in my opinion (which is probably quite inaccurate due to the fact that I've never played it) the game looks like it may differentiate from the usual temple run clone with the shifting camera angles and nice art style? Not meaning to offend anyone who loved the original, because I too felt this feeling when the iOS version of Gravity Hook came out, as I wished it was a port of the flash game, but then became hopelessly addicted to the game after finding out that you can unlock the original.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:11 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsib View Post
If you're not really a fan of the original game but just want a fun game to pass some time, can anyone please state if the game is any good without the 'I wish it was more like the original' thing, because in my opinion (which is probably quite inaccurate due to the fact that I've never played it) the game looks like it may differentiate from the usual temple run clone with the shifting camera angles and nice art style? Not meaning to offend anyone who loved the original, because I too felt this feeling when the iOS version of Gravity Hook came out, as I wished it was a port of the flash game, but then became hopelessly addicted to the game after finding out that you can unlock the original.
If you read a few quick reviews and impressions on the previous pages, you'll see that the game is a very good runner which feels like Temple Run, but has a lot more going on in it than its inspiration.It should be a worthy purchase at its current price (i know some would disagree), but it's a good game altogether.

As a fan of the original, it is sad that they decided to use the title of the original to release a good game. Somehow it feels like they used the title as a selling point. In other words... to make money.

Again, it's a good game, but it isnt the platformer we know and loved.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:11 PM

Inhale, think I'm on the positive side on this one... Pitfall was already remade as super pitfall for the snes( a nice 2d platformer). This seems to be one of the more robust endless runners.. Offering different camera angles aside from only the behind camera angle. It also has weapon(whip mainly I guess) and more variety In areas other than ur basic one theme. also shows off various things to ride on as well as the familiar traps form the original. I dunno a game like Pitfall just seems perfect for this type of game.

I'm not sure what people were wanting? free roaming 3d adventure? sure I'd probly like that but this seems pretty good as an endless runner.

I guess it comes down to iAp which people are saying is needed to save Checkpoints in thAt case its probly the only negative I see. Although some people seem like they're getting pretty fat into to the game.. I wonder are they paying for iaps? Or am I reading it wrong? Do you start over all the way from the begining after dying? Didn't look that way from the vid?

Guess there's nothing left for me to say without playin the game which I probly will, at some point...
Old 08-09-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
If you read a few quick reviews and impressions on the previous pages, you'll see that the game is a very good runner which feels like Temple Run, but has a lot more going on in it than its inspiration.It should be a worthy purchase at its current price (i know some would disagree), but it's a good game altogether.

As a fan of the original, it is sad that they decided to use the title of the original to release a good game. Somehow it feels like they used the title as a selling point. In other words... to make money.

Again, it's a good game, but it isnt the platformer we know and loved.
Thanks man, will probably pick it up, and hey, if this many people would want to see the origional hit iOS, maybe Activision will take advantage of that and give the people what they want.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:22 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

[QUOTE=bigrand1;2383453]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlbum View Post
However, is it possible to find that sweet spot, right in the middle? Is it possible to make a sequel/homage that keeps many things true to the original, but changes enough to create a fresh, new experience?
Yes. It is possible, and has been done before.

But did that happen here? NO!!
That's the point I'm making!
And that's what I wanted to see.
Plus the original in the package!
I think it could be personal preference. The platforming is still there, as well as the challenge if you don't want to bother with checkpoints/tokens. Everything else has been changed: the graphics, the control scheme, the price, etc....

I see this as the game trying to hit the sweet spot and coming pretty darn close to it. I respect that you have a different perspective on the matter, and I understand that you believe that too much has changed for it to be a true Pitfall game, and that the game suffers as a result.

I wonder if we can ask Activision to release a port of the original? I will admit that that would be cool. Then again, let's hope that such a port doesn't end up becoming a shadow of its former self like Sonic 4, episode 1.... That's a tangent, tho.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:23 PM
iPad mini 2

Holy moly this game is good. I wasn't expecting anything but yet another endless runner, but this is perfect. Great controls, heads up that you are turning (instead of Temple Runs guesswork). Power up, a huge panther, great music, several camera angels, tons of different enviroments and ... woooooooho... I love this. Biggest and best surprise this week for me.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:15 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrand1 View Post
Baloney! Not even CLOSE to the original Pitfall! And much better? Gimme a BREAK! 'Nother kid whose never even played it, right? Figures..... :P
I'm 46, still own my original Pitfall cart, and stand by my assessment.

You disagree? Fine. Save the insults.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:36 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

They realy need to fix the fame rate becouse its just barely playeble on the ipod touch 4g
Old 08-09-2012, 02:57 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack111 View Post
They realy need to fix the fame rate becouse its just barely playeble on the ipod touch 4g
Someone said it runs fine on iPhone 4.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:03 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Send a message via Skype™ to your personal robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyImba View Post
Someone said it runs fine on iPhone 4.
Could run a lot smoother on mine.