★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
08-09-2012, 02:28 AM
I got a copy recently and it's actually quite good, especially considering its origins as a flash game. It's pretty obvious that it seems like an Oregon Trail ripoff, but the devs incorporate their own ideas. There are also hunting as well as scavenging minigames, both of which work quite well. There are even awesomely scary boss fights (!). Music is also quite good.

However, it doesn't seem really optimized for older devices, such as the iPod Touch 4th gen. I've noticed some music stuttering from time to time. Otherwise, it's a really great and hilarious game. (You also ford zombies instead of rivers.)
08-09-2012, 02:46 AM
The first patch we hope to push withing a week will address older device optimization.

Also, You ford a horde of zombies instead of a river.

08-09-2012, 02:50 AM
Rivers of zombies!!!
08-09-2012, 03:56 AM
Holy smokes batman! *Bought
08-09-2012, 06:14 AM
Game Impressions

I am a great fan of the Flash version and have been waiting for this ios version for over a month, instant bought!

Played it for an hour or so so far. the management of resources/ trading is no doubt a lot more complex than the flash version, making the game harder but more interesting, even in easy mode. The new mini games are pretty cool, making ammo a more desirable resource now. Overall I'm pleased and recommend it to anyone who enjoys a survival centric zombie world game (ie. not mindless shooting zombie games), or the the original "oregon trail" game with zombies (since it's inspired by that game and many basic principles stays the same).

Just a rant tho, why resting does not recover the player character's health at all? That doesn't even remotely make sense and I just felt it's this way to make med kits to be more useful, I hope this will be changed.
08-09-2012, 06:53 AM
First time playing I got to Pittsburgh and left the app. Came back to the game, expecting to still be in Pittsburgh, where I had not yet had a chance to do anything, but found myself back in the wagon driving on from Pittsburgh. If that's not a bug, it's frustrating design. The interface also seems a bit laggy. I press buttons and they take a moment or two to register my touch. Otherwise this game seems pretty darn awesome so far.
08-09-2012, 07:09 AM
The game is awesome and the devs behind it are really cool guys. They totally deserve high sales ! Spread the word!

Heavy Devil is my latest game, check it out! AppStore GooglePlay
08-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Don't let the graphics fool you. Organ Trail is actually a deep game where every choice matters. I can say this is a survival horror as well, pretty tense stuff!
08-09-2012, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
First time playing I got to Pittsburgh and left the app. Came back to the game, expecting to still be in Pittsburgh, where I had not yet had a chance to do anything, but found myself back in the wagon driving on from Pittsburgh. If that's not a bug, it's frustrating design. The interface also seems a bit laggy. I press buttons and they take a moment or two to register my touch. Otherwise this game seems pretty darn awesome so far.
That's a bug that is already fixed in the first patch incoming. Sorry for that.
08-09-2012, 07:45 AM
This is easily one of the most enjoyable games I've played in a while. Nostalgia certainly plays a part as I really enjoy Oregon Trail, but they've taken some of the core elements and made it into something new. I've got 2 games going now (iPhone & iPad) and have encountered a variety of situations along the way which keep things fresh. The pull-to-shoot feature works really well - lots of fun tension scavenging for food while fending off zombies.

One amusing situation so far: I decided to buy a Ninja Muffler (automatic success when sneaking through zombie hordes) in a town for $43 (leaving $1 to my name!) and of course just a minute later I find a Nev-R-Break Muffler after going through a maze and finding an abandoned car. I have to choose which to keep and decide on the Nev-R-Break Muffler. Hope I don't regret that when I encounter the next horde!

Last edited by aceyprime; 08-09-2012 at 07:50 AM.