★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

RPG Comparison Questions

View Poll Results: Games to Buy? Choose all that are worthy.
Eternal Legacy 8 23.53%
Underworlds 3 8.82%
Zenonia Series 11 32.35%
Inotia Series 8 23.53%
Spectral Souls 5 14.71%
Seed Series 2 5.88%
Exitium: Swords of Vardonia 4 11.76%
Avadon and Avernum 17 50.00%
Ravensword 15 44.12%
Fara 2 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll
08-08-2012, 10:45 PM
RPG Comparison Questions

Hi, I'm Cook and I'm new at the Touch Arcade forums.

I'm doing a lot of thinking of buying into RPG Games for the iOS. I'm a more of old school turn-based combat good story RPG kind of guy than most of the dungeon crawlers with level up that I know. I love Suikoden, and if you ask me what's the best RPG in the world, I'll answer Suikoden, no reasons needed. Although, I do enjoy a good tactics games once in a while.

Anyways, the question is, what games should I get? I've been up all night last night looking at games and all I found are mostly retro-styled RPGs. Don't get me wrong. Not that I don't like it, but they're a lot and I mean a lot of them. But then, my question remains the same what should I get or what should I get first at least? And what games that I was not able to find in the archives of touch arcade that might be good? Also, does anybody know what's the update on the World Without End by Steve Uy? Because, it's been a long time since the last update.

Okay, here are some of the things that I saw and I'll ask.
  1. Highborn?
  2. Mage Gauntlet?
  3. Battleheart or Raid Leader?
  4. Eternal Legacy or Chaos Rings Series?
  5. Spectral Souls or is there any other good looking strategy game out there besides Final Fantasy Tactics?
  6. Inotia Series or Zenonia Series?
  7. All of the Above?
  8. You guys have any other games in mind?

I like turn-based battle systems like Suikoden has and a good tactics game like Wild Arms or Final Fantasy Tactics and I'll settle for games that have real-time battle systems but not to a point that it becomes more dungeon crawling and not really having a good story line (That's why I want to know what's happening to Steve Uy's World Without End!). Help! Thank you, guys!

Note: I'm stuck in endless waves of tower defense and want a way out.
08-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Start with Eternal Legacy and the Chaos Rings Series.

08-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Mage Gauntlet is like a more arcade-styled cousin of LOZ or SoM. Eternal Legacy left me feeling empty inside. The Chaos Rings games are good.
08-09-2012, 12:24 AM
Chaos Rings is better than Eternal Legacy in every way...
for tactics, FFT and Spectral Souls are on top of my list..
I don't like KRPG like zenonia or inotia so no opinion for that part..

Currently Playing: Crashlands, Pokemon Heart Gold, Digimon Re: Digitize, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
Officially moved to android
08-09-2012, 02:24 AM
I haven't played it, but I have heard nothing but good things for Ravenmark (turn based strategy).
Also, you may want to look into FF1,2,3 and Phantasy Star 2.
I saw that you mentioned Ravensword. If you are interested in that, also check out Aralon. Awesome game.
You also have Underworlds on your list - I personally love it, but it is a Diablo I alike, so if that's not your thing...
Hope that helps.
08-09-2012, 02:53 AM
hi, guys! thanks for all your comments! more comments are welcome since i really want a pool of games to choose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varking View Post
Start with Eternal Legacy and the Chaos Rings Series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegly View Post
Eternal Legacy left me feeling empty inside. The Chaos Rings games are good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_envoys View Post
Chaos Rings is better than Eternal Legacy in every way...
I was able to get the whole Chaos Rings series back on sale so okay I will start with that. Eternal Legacy will probably follow. Or, should I start with that because it might be a sad downgrade from the Chaos Rings series? :P

Thanks, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smegly View Post
Mage Gauntlet is like a more arcade-styled cousin of LOZ or SoM..
Oh, that's one to think about. Is there at least a good storyline within? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_envoys View Post
for tactics, FFT and Spectral Souls are on top of my list..
I don't like KRPG like zenonia or inotia so no opinion for that part..
Thanks! Will probably get them both. Any other tactic RPG games out there?

Okie, hope anyone can give light to the KRPG info. Thank you again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
I haven't played it, but I have heard nothing but good things for Ravenmark (turn based strategy).
Also, you may want to look into FF1,2,3 and Phantasy Star 2.
I saw that you mentioned Ravensword. If you are interested in that, also check out Aralon. Awesome game.
You also have Underworlds on your list - I personally love it, but it is a Diablo I alike, so if that's not your thing...
Hope that helps.
I'm still thinking of Ravenmark considering it's mostly turn-based strategy than RPG but I hear it has a good storyline. I took Total War Battles first but I might get Ravenmark still soon.

I have FF 1 and 2 for PSP/PS3 and finished FF 1 there already but I'll probably get FF 3. How does Phantasy Star 2 play?

Is Aralon a dungeon crawler game? It's what I see from the screenshots.

Underworlds is like Diablo, hmm.. have to think about that.

Yes, super helpful! Thank you!
08-09-2012, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookthroughtheages View Post
hi, guys! thanks for all your comments! more comments are welcome since i really want a pool of games to choose from.

I was able to get the whole Chaos Rings series back on sale so okay I will start with that. Eternal Legacy will probably follow. Or, should I start with that because it might be a sad downgrade from the Chaos Rings series? :P

Thanks, guys!

Oh, that's one to think about. Is there at least a good storyline within? Thanks!

Thanks! Will probably get them both. Any other tactic RPG games out there?

Okie, hope anyone can give light to the KRPG info. Thank you again!

I'm still thinking of Ravenmark considering it's mostly turn-based strategy than RPG but I hear it has a good storyline. I took Total War Battles first but I might get Ravenmark still soon.

I have FF 1 and 2 for PSP/PS3 and finished FF 1 there already but I'll probably get FF 3. How does Phantasy Star 2 play?

Is Aralon a dungeon crawler game? It's what I see from the screenshots.

Underworlds is like Diablo, hmm.. have to think about that.

Yes, super helpful! Thank you!
Aralon is more in the vein of the Elderscrolls games - very open in design. There is a plot, but you don't have to follow it - you could just meander and adventure at your whim.

Phantasy Star 2 is a much more traditional, turn based jrpg. I personally love what I have played of it, and if you like games of that era chances are you will, too.
08-09-2012, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issac View Post
Aralon is more in the vein of the Elderscrolls games - very open in design. There is a plot, but you don't have to follow it - you could just meander and adventure at your whim.

Phantasy Star 2 is a much more traditional, turn based jrpg. I personally love what I have played of it, and if you like games of that era chances are you will, too.
Thanks, I will check on Aralon.

JRPGs have mostly great storyline so maybe I'll look it up and most likely I'll get this. Thanks!
08-09-2012, 05:37 AM
None of the above; get Fall of Angels (jrpg). Another essential is The Quest Gold. Ash also has a good storyline and is more traditional.

Highborn is satisfying but definitely more turn based strategy, although easy to recommend. Another solid tbs series is Knighturn / Sword & Earring (Sw&Ear)

Battleheart > Raid Leader, but they are more line drawing action than "rpg."

Crimsonheart is a fun well regarded KRPG (top down action), as is Aurum Blade; both miles ahead of Zenonia/Inotia.

Some retro style jrpg goodies include Dragon Fantasy and Guardian Saga; plus there's always the goofy Cthulhu Saves the World.

I understand Workd Without End is coming just had to change programmers and solicit funding. Steve Uy responds to the thread here.

In my signature is a list of all iOS RPGs by subgenre.

Let us know what your decide and impressions.

Last edited by undeadcow; 08-09-2012 at 05:44 AM.
08-09-2012, 05:58 AM
Avadon and Avernum are pc quality RPGs. So they are must haves if you like D&D style RPGs.

Fara is more of a very casual adventure game and it's a bit on the short side.

Stay away from the Inotia series. Zenonia 1 and 2 are quite decent action RPGs. But I'd skip these and go for Mage Gauntlet instead.

Another strategy RPGs you might like to check out: Battle for Wesnoth.