★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

To Update or Not to Update that is the question....

08-10-2012, 04:10 AM
To Update or Not to Update that is the question....

Hey guys.

Wanted to see your thoughts on updating your app. So other than the obvious reasons to update (bugs, crashing, etc) does anyone still see a reason to update or continue to improve your app if it only has a few downloads and has 0 exposure (no published reviews on review sites)?

I feel like once your app falls into the graveyard there is no point in updating it anymore to add features, levels, etc. Am I right? As much as I want to add new things we just didn't get the support or following we really needed to warrant that. So should we update or just move on to the next project? Is there a point in updating a graveyard app?
08-10-2012, 04:18 AM
I had a certain set of functionality that I wanted to be in my game eventually. Had it failed I would not have added it, since I've had some decent exposure I decided that I owed it to myself and the players to update it to the point where I would have liked it to be on version 1.0.

If it would have totally failed I would not have done that since my head is buzzing with awesome ideas.

Check out my iOS game Eve of Impact and / or follow me on Twitter ;-)

08-10-2012, 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikschennink View Post
I had a certain set of functionality that I wanted to be in my game eventually. Had it failed I would not have added it, since I've had some decent exposure I decided that I owed it to myself and the players to update it to the point where I would have liked it to be on version 1.0.

If it would have totally failed I would not have done that since my head is buzzing with awesome ideas.
What is your game?
08-10-2012, 04:57 AM
There's always a chance that the next game can go the same way. But it's not worth supporting a game that has no following at all - my first game does andsecond one doesn't. Difference was that the first game was made out of love, and the second was made for what I thought would be popular.

If you really like your game then you should try to identify any issues and update it so others can see what you intended them to. Else move on to developing something that first and foremost you love yourself.

Web: www.zenout.co.uk
Follow: @zenoutJez
Developer: BubbleSand Tetroms (Attic Eyes...Soon!)
AppStore search string: "Jez Hammond"
08-10-2012, 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloon Loons View Post
if it only has a few downloads and has 0 exposure (no published reviews on review sites)?
What's your app? Have you posted any info on this forum in Upcoming games or something? Exposing your app here gives you tons of links in Google search
08-10-2012, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloon Loons View Post
What is your game?
Eve of Impact

Check out my iOS game Eve of Impact and / or follow me on Twitter ;-)
08-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
What's your app? Have you posted any info on this forum in Upcoming games or something? Exposing your app here gives you tons of links in Google search
My game is balloon loons. I did post about it twice. Once asking for beta testers and once on the release day. Both times the posts went pretty much ignored. Not many views and like 4 people replied total. We had one person named Eric who was supportive from day 1. He not only beta tested and said he loved the game but he also wrote a small review for us on a site. If you see this thanks Eric! But otherwise no one really replied .
08-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikschennink View Post
Eve of Impact
Game looks pretty cool buddy. How long did development take? And how did you manage to get reviews like that!? No one even looked our way lol. Good for you!
08-10-2012, 04:07 PM
UnSure

Games dont work like productivity apps. The replayability of a game dies when
1. the player completes the game
2. the player got bored of it.

Most casual games would fall into the play once and forget category.
I all depends on how expandable the title is.

If a game relies on levels and has alot of content to push out, new maps, new characters. Then it makes alot of sense to push updates.
For casual games, its always a one shot kinda of trick.

But in the end, it really depends on how well the app is remarketed. Maybe on the first release, no body noticed because of lack of marketing or even reviews. You could improve the title further to get it noticed. But at the end of the day, it really depends on what type of content you have.
08-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelPower View Post
I would say even with love a game might not make it also. I made a game just using my humorous,funny side its actually free right now. It didnt do well but I knew either people would get it or they wont. Here is the link its free so try it out
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/feed-me-bones/id547116005?mt=8

I really wanted to update but for now it isnt worth it if not alot of people get the game. Iam hoping by some magic it would blow-up and be call one of the funniest iphone games, but right now its just in the crap pile. Just keep at it and hopefully you will make it .
By love I refer to every single detail unconditionally. Making a game with love is like bringing up a child before releasing them to the world. Your sense of humour would be a different approach, I would call it a 'quickie' :-)

My first game was updated many times, it progressively improved but as it was my first app it had many things that were never ideal for mobile or simplicity etc. I think it's worth being a perfectionist once a bunch of prototypes have been tried and tested.

@OP would be cool if the whole screen in your game rotated around the Z-axis. Possibly zoom a little. I think that would enhance the gameplay, especially when played with widescreen.

Web: www.zenout.co.uk
Follow: @zenoutJez
Developer: BubbleSand Tetroms (Attic Eyes...Soon!)
AppStore search string: "Jez Hammond"