★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Outer Empires MMO - Coming to iPhone and PC

06-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Outer Empires MMO - Coming to iPhone and PC

Youtube link | Pop Up

OFFICIAL SITE
ORIGINAL ARTICLE

INTERVIEW

Quote:
To be honest, the mention of the three awesome games in the strapline (EVE Online, Elite and Sins of a Solar Empire) is enough to introduce, explain and sell this new MMO coming to the iPhone and desktop PC. But we're here now, so we might as well take a closer look.

Outer Empires blends together elements from the space-based adventure and trading games in a cross platform online title built in a massive persistent galaxy.

You'll be able to find your space legs through a variety of missions - including freight carrying, transport, fighting, exploration and bounty hunting - and setting up colonies on far distant worlds.

A prolific trading system is being implemented with a working in-game currency, allowing you to trade, establish guilds, and to buy, build and modify your ships.

The iPhone version of Outer Worlds will have its own application, while the desktop version will run within your internet browser. And the best part is the it'll be cross platform, so iPhone players and PC players will be able to interact within the same galaxy (or you'll be able to play on the bus, then continue on the computer when you get to work, see).

Outer Empires is nearing its first round of Alpha testing, so there's a ways to go yet. We're chatting with the developer Iron Will Studios right now, and will bring you more information on this epic iPhone quest very shortly.

In the meantime, check out the screenshots and the test video of the in-browser version, and then head on over to the official site to keep up with Outer Worlds's progress.

Last edited by theone1007; 06-04-2009 at 10:07 PM.
06-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Well this sounds pretty darn epic Since it will be available on the internet, does that mean it will be free or no?

EDIT: POST NUMBER 666...heh heh

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." ~ Albert Einstein

Last edited by Fletch; 06-03-2009 at 10:47 PM.

06-04-2009, 02:48 PM
I dont know why this isn't getting more posts this looks uber! the idevice market needs a real mmo! (no that watchmen garbage is not a real mmo) very much looking forward to this!
06-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Yeah looks great, hype it up!

What I'd like to know is how the fighting works. Is is just a matter of whose ship has the best stats, roll some dice, win or lose? Or do you actually get to fly your ship during dogfights?

The info on their site is... ehm... a bit sparse.

You play, you win. You play, you lose. You play.
06-04-2009, 10:08 PM
06-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Hurrah ! I am so looking forward to this ! I started another thread requesting a proper space trader like Elite on the iphone.... This looks beyond my wildest dreams ! Anybody got any idea how long it is from release ?
06-05-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm suprised that rarly anyone replied to this.. It looks like a really great game. Like Eve.. I'm guessing that this will sell a lot, because of the price, membership, and that it's for the iphone and the computer. So that means more players. What I would really like is to have guilds/clans. They do have fractions (2 sides), that helps for the pirates on each side to fight over each other. Is there also a friends list?

Upcoming iPhone Games: World of Midgard,Paper Monsters, LostWinds,The First Attempt,Blade Slinger, Kale in Dinoland, Prevail
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerzack1 View Post
the psp sucks it has dumb games the nintendo ds is so much better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
Dumb people are dumb.
06-06-2009, 02:23 AM
I'm also surprised to not see much activity in this thread. It looks excellent!
06-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm sort of stepping into the firing line here - I'm Paul Hutson the Lead Developer for the Outer Empires team.

I've only just been told about this thread (by one of the new testers added to the game test group today - selected from the beta test signup on the website).

Anyway, to answer a few of your questions.

We're about a month from release now, we're aiming for the middle of July for both the iPhone and browser releases. Followed by some extra content patches a month later.

Combat is not quite dog fight like - First up you need to get a combat ship hull (say a frigate) and then equip it with things to make it work (thrusters for speed, life support, nav computer, jump engines) then you buy and equip weapons (there are different sized weapons that attack to different parts of the hull, different ships have different configerations - the frigate has 2 small, 2 medium and 2 large). Then you head out into space.. upon finding your target you lock on (clicking on the ship and selecting the lock on option) and the timer counts down (the time can be reduced with a targeting computer). Once you get the lock you click on the ship again and select which weapon you want to fire. Shields and armour make you last a bit longer (shields recharge) and the battles are often dependent on the amount of power a ship has (weapons use power to fire, so if you have too many hard hitting but power hungry weapons you might not be able to deal enough damage fast enough).

The first 15 levels of the game are free to play and you can continue logging in after that but won't be able to gain any more rank. The subscription amount thereafter is around 4-5$ per month (we're aiming to keep it as low as we possibly can). Once you've upgraded the subscription will work for both the iPhone and Browser versions when you log in.

If you have any more questions do post them up and I'll pop by and answer them again soon - or post them up on the forums!

Regards,
Paul Hutson
06-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowsFall View Post
What I would really like is to have guilds/clans. They do have fractions (2 sides), that helps for the pirates on each side to fight over each other. Is there also a friends list?
I forgot this one...

... players can start up their own factions in game with other players - they get access to a group chat area, hanger space, their own in game forums, etc.