Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-14-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbro View Post
I am actually kind of curious how you got that gameplay video. I thought I needed to enable video mirroring for that to work. It is a pretty processor intensive game, so I could imagine how things would start running a bit slowly if there were some other things going on. The sound in the video does sound a bit like a buffer underrun, which is what happens when there is too much CPU being used.

Did this bug happen when you were not shooting the video?
Two Bugs:

Following iDevice (5.1.1/None JB) were used to replicate the mentioned Problem(s) below:

Sound Issue:
  • iPhone 4
  • iPhone 4S
  • iPad
  • iPad 2
  • New iPad

Black Screen:
  • iPhone 4
  • iPad
  • iPad 2

The Reason why currently none other Bad Hotel Recording is on YouTube listed is probably because of the Black Screen Bug. After the Bad Hotel Logo the Screen Blackout while the Game itself is loading in the Background.

It does only appear while doing the Recording but will probably prevent anyone from doing any Recordings with the mentioned iDevice above.

While the Black Screen can get easily avoid by using the New iPad/iPhone 4S for the Recording the Sound Bug won`t get rid that Way, even I would wish it would be that case.

At no Point I did ment to harm the Developer but let`s put it that Way - When even Electronic Arts & Gameloft are asking me for help them in the Public when I point them to an obvious Bug in their Blockbuster Games it should be clear that I am not the Enemy
Old 08-14-2012, 09:10 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Just curious Sanuku, you mean both the sound and black screen issue only happen when you record? Is this something that happens when you play regularly without trying to record? If that's the case, then I must have some pretty bad ears on me.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:16 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Hey Sanuku!

I definitely didn't mean to attack you - as I mentioned in another post, I'm super glad that people like you are making gameplay videos. That's what making games is all about! I just want to make sure that people who are looking at our game know that it will sound amazing. Most people won't be trying to record a playthrough video, and it's important to me that people know what it will play like for them!

We're still curious what you're using to make the video, so that we can fix it for anyone else who wants to do a screen capture.

Thanks for the help and support! We definitely know you're not the enemy, we do it all for the fans
Old 08-14-2012, 09:21 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Dev - Thanks for the quick reply to my questions.
Sanuku - Thanks for taking the time to upload the video, your videos are responsible for at least half of my purchases.

I did buy the game and having a good time with it, currently in the second world.

The only "issue" I have with the game is that it is a fast paced game and placing your rooms quickly is essential to success. However since you can place the rooms anywhere (ie. there's no snap to grid - there can be spaces between your rooms), and because my finger is on top of the room when I am trying to place it, several times, when I try to place a room in the location I want, it either:
- registers that my finger has slightly moved after I lift it from the screen and thus places it not where I want it
- or the game moves the room far from where I want to place it because I am assuming that where I want to place it is either illegal or I haven't placed it exactly where it needs to go.

This issue is probably my fault and I have to learn how to place rooms effectively, however it does get frustrating because one of the mechanics of the game is if you have rooms on top of other rooms and the lower room gets destroyed, so do your upper rooms if they are not attached to anything else. Since several times, most of my upper rooms have not lined up correctly, they get destroyed.

Is it possible to have options to:
- choose where the room lines up with your finger, so the default is under your finger and another option is above your finger
- change sensitivity so that the last minute shift of the finger does not register
- an easy mode where you can pause the game and still place your rooms

Also it took a bit to figure out that when looking at the rooms list, a red border means they are activated and black means unselected. Maybe graphically make this easier to understand. Say black out rooms not available, grey out rooms that are unselected and brighten up rooms selected. Or have rooms selected on top and drag rooms wanted to that area.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:36 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
- registers that my finger has slightly moved after I lift it from the screen and thus places it not where I want it
- or the game moves the room far from where I want to place it because I am assuming that where I want to place it is either illegal or I haven't placed it exactly where it needs to go.

Is it possible to have options to:
- choose where the room lines up with your finger, so the default is under your finger and another option is above your finger
- change sensitivity so that the last minute shift of the finger does not register
- an easy mode where you can pause the game and still place your rooms

Also it took a bit to figure out that when looking at the rooms list, a red border means they are activated and black means unselected. Maybe graphically make this easier to understand. Say black out rooms not available, grey out rooms that are unselected and brighten up rooms selected. Or have rooms selected on top and drag rooms wanted to that area.
Cool! thanks for all the feedback.

We will try to do that thing with lowering the sensitivity right as you lift your finger up. That should be something that we can handle.

That is a good idea for highlighting the room that you are currently dragging! It does grey out the rooms that you can't afford, but having some indication of the one you are dragging would be nice.

thanks much!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:37 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Congratulations to the developers! This is a very cool little game which is simple to get into and fun to play. The music generation aspect makes it very interesting and unique. While there are similarities to Pugs Luv Beats, I find Bad Hotel to be more accessible and enjoyable. I am looking forward to Game Center support getting added; it will be a big enhancement.

Oh yeah, I love the game's icon.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:40 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbro View Post
Cool! thanks for all the feedback.

That is a good idea for highlighting the room that you are currently dragging! It does grey out the rooms that you can't afford, but having some indication of the one you are dragging would be nice.

thanks much!
Just to be clear, I don't mean highlighting the rooms when you are playing. I mean in the options menu when you have listed all the rooms.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:48 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Just to be clear, I don't mean highlighting the rooms when you are playing. I mean in the options menu when you have listed all the rooms.
Oh yeah! That was something we struggled with too. We clearly need to revisit that, we'll try a fix in the next update. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:49 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Ah, gotcha, thanks for clarifying.

Yeah, that could work. I like having the preview of what rooms you have yet to unlock, but it sounds like it is a bit too confusing, and doesn't read well enough. Will try it out! thanks.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:20 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

Wow!

What an amazingly fresh take on defense and tower building games!

I love how you don't even have to worry about the reality of balance and can have a hotel with all sorts of weird bits hanging way off. At the same time, however, you'll still need to make sure some inner room isn't destroyed to cause the wing hanging off it to fall down!

I also love the game's clever take on profit vs.firepower! You need to buy weapons to defend yourself, but at the same time that is cutting into your profits, especially since that money could be spent to buy more standard rooms which in turn would result in MORE CASH! Your end of level score is BASED on cash on hand plus total rooms and building height, so as essential as the weapons are to preserve your building, they're taking away from pure profits.

Question to devs:
I noticed how the early rooms seem to have a random die facing of windows. Does the number of windows determine the cash I'm making from the room or is it just a little artistic bit for some graphic variety?