★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Justin Hogie
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 43.7 MB
  • Version: 1.02
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Game Center support added! Climb the leaderboards and earn achievements!

** A new scroll "Time Jutsu" is in this update. This is available to all players without any unlocking. This should help those who find it difficult to perform scrolls during tense gameplay. **

Running With Ninjas combines fast-paced frantic endless running with old school shoot 'em up gameplay.

Tilt your device like a steering wheel to move your ninja. Jump with the left button, and throw shurikens with the right button.

Defeating bosses will earn you scrolls. Scrolls are executed by drawing the appropriate pattern on screen. Scrolls require Jutsu energy to perform. Jutsu energy can be obtained from defeating enemies.

KOing enemies without missing will raise your combo counter. The higher your combo counter, the greater your multiplier. But be careful, if you drop your combo your multiplier also resets. A high multiplier raises your score much faster.

Customise your ninja's outfit by altering his colours in the Options menu.

Yum Cha Games's comments:
Greetings TouchArcadians!

I am proud to introduce my first original game for iPhone and iPod Touch - Running with Ninjas!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/running-with-ninjas/id550071892?ls=1&mt=8

The game is basically an endless runner. Except instead of avoiding obstacles and collecting coins, you're avoiding ninja stars while throwing your own stars at other ninjas.

There are a few different enemy types and bosses. There's also a unique summoning system executed by drawing patterns on the screen. Summon spells are obtained in scrolls, scrolls are earned by defeating bosses.

Controls are easy, tilt the device like a steering wheel to move left/right. Jump with the left button, throw your stars with the right.

The game will record your distance, score and highest combo (combos will also earn you score multipliers, so keep them up!).

I hope you can enjoy this game! I spent a lot of time working on it pretty much by myself. It can get lonely, frustrating and very hard - especially if you have no prior experience doing this sort of thing. I've created music before, I've created graphics before, I've created 3D before, and I guess you could say I've done some limiting scripting before from making websites. But I've never tackled a full game before!

Special thanks go out to my partner for the brush work and my friends for testing!

FAQ (pre-emptive):
Q: The game crashed on me!
A: Please submit all bug reports via the game's App Store page or post in this thread. I will address all reports as soon as I possibly can.

In your report, please be as specific as you can. Generally, most crashes would occur when X hit Y or similar. Sometimes it's hard to see what collision may have caused the crash with the abundance of enemies and stars on screen, so in those cases just tell me what enemies were around so I can get an idea of what the variables are. Thanks for your patience!

Please accept my apologies in advanced if the game does not work correctly on your device (I'm fearing iPod Touches may be effected, as I do not own one to test with). I only have iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 to test with currently.

Q: Why are there no coins to collect, or upgrades, or IAP?
A: I didn't want to create yet another grind fest. I wanted the game to have good gameplay first and not just hook into the addiction of collection. There are still similar traditional gaming elements though, like beating high scores and earning scrolls.

Q: Can you add more stages/enemies/bosses/summons, make X control config, add Game Center support...
A: All additional content will be dependent on the game's success. I've got a few things planned already, but will only work on them if the game proves successful enough for me to justify spending time on it (I do have a day job, this currently isn't a full time gig for me).

Q: Where's the iPad version?
A: The main reason this isn't made is that I didn't feel tilting a large iPad would be as good as the iPhone. But also, I currently do not have an iPad to test on. When I do get one, I will consider adding iPad support.

Q: Can I has free codes??
A: Sure. Why not, hey?

TAYA4J9PLPRM
W46M7HK9L7LA
AXWTA3REH3K9
TLKJLXM97NHN
HW9RLRKT6YPR
NTYFYAYMYNYK
XHKKXR7LXLAE
NWEA4W9H74HE
JH6NNARYKXKN
X7A3WW7EMRFL

First in best dressed. Post when you successfully grab a code so others know they're taken. I'll update this list as often as I can.

If TA staff want some codes, please PM/email me and I'll provide them.

Thanks! I hope you enjoy my game!
08-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the last code X7A...
Will write back after sleep and playing for a while.

08-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Thanks! I snapped up NWEA4W9H74HE.

Will post impressions later!
08-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Love the look of this, and was lucky enough to redeem HW9RLRKT6YPR just now. Thanks so much for sharing!
08-14-2012, 11:32 AM
JH6NNARYKXKN taken...

thanks a lot!
08-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Got XHKKXR7LXLAE... Thanks

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
08-14-2012, 02:38 PM
The game looks interesting. I'll get a feel for it a little later and post impressions. ^_^

Last edited by Echoseven; 08-14-2012 at 03:11 PM.
08-14-2012, 03:28 PM
I got code TLKJLXM97NHN will post review.
08-14-2012, 03:40 PM
This is a good solid game. But, NOT if you look at it as a runner. Because, that is not what it is. It could best be described as an endless Shmup.

Which I find extremely refreshing. Back in the prehistorick days when I first started gaming there were quite a few games like this. Shooters that were not based on Spaceships, but played like they were. But using a different environment from spaceships and futristic warfare added a bit of freshness to the proceedings.

So instead of running and dodging obstacles, your whole goal is to hold down that fire button and blast the hell out of whatever is in front of you. The jump button, I was confused about until I encountered the first "Boss" who seem to appear at certain points to break things up. He was big and with a turtle shell. He had huge shurikans that couldn't just be dodged, this is where the jump button came into play.

This is a nice break from the big-standard runner and I applaud the developers attempt at originality. The power-up system of drawing symbols is a bit wonky and difficult pull off. This could really use a pause screen or a detailed tutorial to explain it better.

But, all in all this is a solid purchase in my opinion!

Last edited by pocketmego; 08-14-2012 at 03:47 PM.
08-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Send a message via AIM to AceSox Send a message via Skype™ to AceSox
Grabbed AXWTA3REH3K9. Looks promising. I'll post my thoughts soon