Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-08-2014, 03:17 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Default Firefight - WWII (by Sean O'Connor)

Old 06-08-2014, 03:36 PM

Looks very promising. The download includes the tutorial, and a $4.99 IAP unlocks the first (?) set of scenarios. I'll try to write impressions after playing through the tutorial later today. As long as there aren't any glaring interface issues, the scenario pack looks like a no-brainer for me. A first glance gives a 2D Combat Mission vibe.

Last edited by Silvers; 06-09-2014 at 10:33 PM..
Old 06-08-2014, 06:42 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

No iPhone?
Old 06-08-2014, 07:37 PM

Just finished the tutorial on the iPad, and purchased the full game unlock ($4.99 in Canada).

This game controls like a dream, so no worries there. As for what it is and isn't...

This is a small-scale, scenario based tactical game clearly designed with mobile gaming in mind.

All scenarios take place on the same small map of a village. This is not a problem, just as the static board is not a problem in chess.

As in chess, your units are given and can be directed via simple orders. You can move, change facing, fire or hurry up, and that's about it, as far as I can tell. (Apart from limited artillery strikes, which can include smoke).

The simulation is very thorough, and line of sight is critical. If you lose sight of an enemy, you'll see an icon at their last known position.

So far, I've seen no reason to doubt the app description's AI and simulation claims. The elegant controls, single map and streamlined orders make it easy to learn, but those two facturs make it fulfilling and hard to master.

I can see novices to war gaming picking it up easily, while grognards delight in its intricacies. Recommended.

The only two big issues so far: massively bugged terrain graphics when scrolling about at full zoom, and the absence of a detailed manual (unit specs etc.) in a game begging for it.

If the dev reads this, something really needs to be done about the broken terrain parallax when zoomed in, ASAP. . Also, grats on a fantastic release.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:48 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Thanks @Silvers for your review, helped a lot. Downloading
Old 06-09-2014, 07:57 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Surely if has zoom, then it can be released for iPhone too?
I'm a fan of the combat mission and close combat ganes on PC and would like something like them on the iPhone... This looks the closest yet
Old 06-09-2014, 08:09 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Send a message via Skype™ to Mythbuster

I have the PC Version so from me only a two star rating ... this because of:

- No different AI level.

- much less options than in the PC version.

- if you purchase the full version the tutorial scenario is gone away ... and no chance to play the tutorial again.

So right now for me it seems more a kind of beta than complete ... but I really hope it will become better ...

By the way, I love Slay (same developer) ... that one is way better made ... but as I wrote before I am hoping for an Update!
Old 06-09-2014, 10:57 AM

Problems so far (other than mentioned):

1. No info on what is shooting at my units!
2. No pause I can find, hard to keep track when there are tons of things going on
3. No mention what the buttons do, "Help" is not informative.
4. Help screen overlays the tutorial
5. Light mortar unit does not move nor fire
6. Vehicle units seem to ignore fire command and do not prioritize target -- I can accept the former but the latter is very bad for health
7. Side fixed for each scenario, limits replayability.

Good things:

1. Firefight, as the title says, is really intense
2. UI is pretty good, no problem in issuing command
3. Gameplay is very challenging, which is good for a wargame
4. If Combat Mission: Touch was something like this, it would be 100x better
Old 06-09-2014, 12:21 PM

Just wanted to pop in and say that the issues brought up by the most recent posters are right on the money.

I'm still having a lot of fun with it and consider it money well spent, but it could definitely benefit from some obvious updates. This is particularly true when it comes to providing feedback and information. Unit capabilities, terrain information and morale effects (if they exist!) are unnecessarily opaque and should be made easily available in numerical fashion.

The broken zoom graphics and lack of a manual are critical errors and should be fixed as soon as possible. I understand this is apparently a one-man outfit, but things like the disappearing tutorial are sloppy and prevent this game from presenting in a way that signals high quality.

I wasn't aware this was available on the PC, but I don't think I'd buy it for that platform. I like it precisely because it's a fun, low-stakes tactical experience that I can play for a few minutes at a time when it's not feasible to, say, pull out Panzer Corps and spend ten minutes reassessing the situation I was in last turn.

Firefight has a lot of unrealized potential. If the dev commits to polishing it, then it could find new life on the App Store.

Last edited by Silvers; 06-09-2014 at 12:28 PM..
Old 06-09-2014, 09:57 PM

What does $5 unlock if there's only on map?